Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does this mean none of us can go to France/Germany/Spain /Italy etc etc

(112 Posts)
vickymeldrew Tue 29-Sep-20 04:32:45

On 31st December 2020 the transition period expires and Britain will be divorced from Europe. Reciprocal healthcare arrangements will cease.
We are told to purchase travel insurance, but cover for Covid 19 is very scarce. Importantly, if the advice from the Foreign Office remains ‘advises against non-essential travel’ then this invalidates policies anyway.
Has anyone any idea what the solution is ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Sep-20 05:02:48

It’s what was voted for.

I’m afraid we will have to get over it.

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Sep-20 06:16:56

The ‘non essential’ travel advice doesn’t just apply to the EU and is down to COVID not Brexit.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Sep-20 07:14:53

Britain will be divorced from the EU not Europe per se. Reciprocal healthcare between countries has yet to be discussed and decided upon. Each European country will make a decision. Covid of course is altogether another layer of complexity bringing separate issues.

Iam64 Tue 29-Sep-20 07:33:59

What Urmstongran said - spot on.
Unlike Urmstongran, I voted Remain and feel sad about the mess we are in. But, I hope the friendship and agreement about so many things that mean we are European can continue ❤️

Furret Tue 29-Sep-20 08:00:55

Well blustering Boris had better get a move on. It’s October in a couple of day!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:06:38

But I think the point being that if we were still members of the EU, and we had the opportunity to travel to say Italy for a holiday, covid would be dealt with alongside anything else by the reciprocal arrangement.

Loss of EU membership now means that if you want to travel to Italy, you will have to get travel insurance.

The usual terms and conditions to travel insurance will apply except that covid cover would be impossible I would have thought

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:17:38

Frankly, I’d worry for anyone daft enough to travel within the EU solely on the E111 - travel insurance is vital.

Lucca Tue 29-Sep-20 08:20:47

Sadly White wave I feel you may be right.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:22:48

Pantglas2

Frankly, I’d worry for anyone daft enough to travel within the EU solely on the E111 - travel insurance is vital.

Quite but my point still stands.

If you are a member of the EU, and wish to travel you can of course get travel insurance, but covid wont be covered, it will however by the reciprocal arrangement as are most other conditions. Insurance is good for getting you home.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Sep-20 08:23:04

The " parting of the waves " will be made as awkward as it possibly can be in months to come because of the shock decision.

Illte Tue 29-Sep-20 08:35:48

You only got what was available in the EU country you were in. A wasp sting in France once cost me a fortune!

I agree with Pantglas. Its mad to travel without insurance, where ever.

And just for the moment it's mad to travel unless you have to. I've been travelling the world for the last ten years and meant to do more. But it's not on.

There we go. Life is full of curve balls.

Firecracker123 Tue 29-Sep-20 08:55:04

You can get Covid cover I have this one.

Elegran Tue 29-Sep-20 08:56:00

You get what you signed up for. If you cancel your gym membership, you don't expect to get in free.

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Sep-20 09:04:05

My annual worldwide cover was renewed in April and COVID was covered also Firecracker.

I actually don’t know anyone who travels to EU without cover and when a friend asked to stay with me in Spain, I insisted she paid for travel insurance- if you can afford a flight, you can afford insurance!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 29-Sep-20 09:29:51

I believe that only a few Insurance companies cover for Covid travel to countries against FO advice, which seems to be constantly changing. Personally I wouldn’t want to travel in these cases because advice is there for a reason. Saved a lot of money this year ?

Otherwise many companies cover for Covid now, and I never travelled to EU countries without insurance anyway, so shouldn’t make much difference.

EllanVannin Tue 29-Sep-20 09:32:45

I never went anywhere without insurance. Even now I have a personal insurance should I have the misfortune to suffer an accident be it in the home or outside.

Marieeliz Tue 29-Sep-20 09:51:25

We all went to Europe on holiday before the EU. Don't understand what the flap is about. There was travel quite normal in 50s and 60s.

MissChateline Tue 29-Sep-20 09:54:07

I’ve travelled abroad for the past 20 years. Backpacked extensively over the years through India, SE Asia, a road trip to the USA as well as months in Switzerland and other European countries. Not once have I bothered with travel insurance. On the one occasion when I needed advice regarding a scratched retina from sand in Sri Lanka I paid the doctor the equivalent of about £2.00 for the consultation and eye drops. My feeling is that in so many cases the insurance companies always find a way of wriggling out of paying up and you might have well burned your hard earned dosh.
In Europe I’ve always taken my EHIC card and only on one occasion had to use it for a minor cut on my finger.
Maybe I should add that I have never had a days serious illness in my life, have every inoculation possible and maintain a very fit and healthy lifestyle. I last had flu 25 years ago ago and won the works prize for the longest time of not having a “sick day”.

LuckyFour Tue 29-Sep-20 10:00:36

I also won a prize for being he only person in our large office to have not had a day off sick in the previous year. I was almost at retirement age and everyone else was much younger including one a 18 and another 22 years old.
We've always bought travel insurance but have never needed to use it.

B9exchange Tue 29-Sep-20 10:01:28

We have just come back from Croatia a couple of weeks ago. We did use Staysure, and the exta Covid cover for travelling against FCO advice was the princely sum of £1.46, so I don't think the insurance companies are over worried. I would never have relied on the EHIC, it was just a way of keeping insurance costs lower because the EU would pay a part, but not all, or your care.

MissC we all have to do our own risk assessments, and you have obviously decided you can risk travelling without insurance, but I could not take that chance!

Elegran Tue 29-Sep-20 10:04:07

My, you have been lucky, MissChateline Never contracted any serious infections or had an accident that meant you had to be flown home.

A friend's son is now blind in one eye and has only partial sight in the other, from an infection acquired in India - luckily he had insurance for the treatment.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 29-Sep-20 10:04:14

I honestly feel that anyone who travels anywhere until there is a vaccine against corona needs there head examined. It just isn't worth the risk!

Obviously health insurance when abroad is one of the things that will need to be sorted out as part of implemting Brexit, but surely you expected that?

It will be a headache as medical insurance differs in the various EU countries. We travelled for two years and found out how different conditions are. It didn't worry us, as we were covered by the Danish state health insurance, as we had both the domestic and the travel insurance card from them. Any health care we needed was paid in full by them.

I doubt that the British NHS will be able to do the same, so if I were a UK resident I would start looking at travel insurance now. There is bound to be many insurance companies offering very different polices.

Lilyflower Tue 29-Sep-20 10:06:44

Get a visa and insurance and there will be no difference from what obtains now.

quizqueen Tue 29-Sep-20 10:17:10

Elegran- that's very true but, equally, you don't expect your old gym to tell you which other gyms you can use in future or how you should exercise!