Gransnet forums

News & politics

Patel would have us return to the Nineteenth Century

(115 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:54:31

Ascension Island was her first choice to transport those people fleeing war and famine. 4000 miles away.

Obviously not far enough for Patel, as that has been abandoned.

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 08:56:33

That such an incompetent, unpleasant person has risen to such a rank is baffling and alarming.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:57:56

Maybe she could go on ahead and inspect it? And get locked down?
On second thoughts that’s unfair to the current residents

Firecracker123 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:58:27

And I thought they were fleeing Calais who knew lol.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 09:04:56

People vote for her, MrsR. People agree with her deeply unpleasant ideas and applaud her hard line on what they regard more as freeloading scum than as desperate fellow humans fleeing from intolerable circumstances.

Firecracker123 Wed 30-Sep-20 09:14:25

They are coming over on boats from France where they could have stayed and have passed through numerous countries to do so. They are mostly fit young men, what is that saying 'none so blind as they who cannot see'. I applaud Priti Patel.

felice Wed 30-Sep-20 09:14:50

Just listened to the head of the Island Council on Radio 4, he said they did not know of the plan until someone from R 4 called to ask what they thought about it.
Forward planning confused.

Riverwalk Wed 30-Sep-20 09:16:40

Luckily for her, her parents didn't face that prospect when they were fleeing Uganda and came to the UK as refugees.

She really does want to ingratiate herself with the right wing, doesn't she? Mind you her father did stand as a UKIP candidate, so not surprising really.

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:18:51

MaizieD

People vote for her, MrsR. People agree with her deeply unpleasant ideas and applaud her hard line on what they regard more as freeloading scum than as desperate fellow humans fleeing from intolerable circumstances.“

Yes, it’s deeply depressing. What really baffles me, though, is how incompetent people like this get into a position where people are even able to vote for them in the first place?

Riverwalk Wed 30-Sep-20 09:22:19

Firecracker123

They are coming over on boats from France where they could have stayed and have passed through numerous countries to do so. They are mostly fit young men, what is that saying 'none so blind as they who cannot see'. I applaud Priti Patel.

Patel's family could have gone to India, their ancestral home, but they cherry-picked the UK. And why not if they thought it was the better choice?

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:26:10

Riverwalk

Patel's family could have gone to India, their ancestral home, but they cherry-picked the UK. And why not if they thought it was the better choice?“

It’s the height of hypocrisy, isn’t it? Pulling up the ladder behind you. Shameful.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 10:04:22

MaizieD

People vote for her, MrsR. People agree with her deeply unpleasant ideas and applaud her hard line on what they regard more as freeloading scum than as desperate fellow humans fleeing from intolerable circumstances.

You see. One has popped up on this thread already.

Jane10 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:30:41

Did Australia not have some sort of arrangement like that? I vaguely remember it being talked about? Really not sure though.

GillT57 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:38:34

Is there no end to this woman's hypocrisy? I assume she is trying to ingratiate herself with people like firecracker, heaven help us all.

Jane10 Wed 30-Sep-20 10:39:25

It's too easy to be goodies and baddies on this. Not all migrants are what they seem. Some are potentially dodgy but, crucially, some are the lucky ones to escape from their countries. The richer, better educated ones which their home countries need in order to rebuild and positively develop them. (I read an article on this by Goodhart).
So rather than just let everyone pour into UK, draw up a plan to educate and support people and get them back to their own countries with more to offer their countrymen. For those escaping war zones he postulated time limited asylum enabling people to return home after the immediate problem (whatever it was) has passed. Meanwhile UK govt to encourage our professional bodies to interact directly with these countries to help them to develop to higher standards rather than just sink lower as they've lost their brightest and best hopes. I hope I've conveyed that right. It seemed an interesting idea.

Alegrias Wed 30-Sep-20 10:45:41

Jane10

Did Australia not have some sort of arrangement like that? I vaguely remember it being talked about? Really not sure though.

Yes, they did Jane10, you're correct. It didn't go well. From Amnesty International, 2012:

Amnesty International has found a toxic mix of uncertainty, unlawful detention and inhumane conditions creating an increasingly volatile situation on Nauru, with the Australian Government spectacularly failing in its duty of care to asylum seekers. The organization is also gravely concerned by the Coalition’s proposal to cut the increased humanitarian intake. In this document the organization maintains that the transfer of asylum seekers from Australia to Nauru contravenes international law as it acts as a punishment for seeking asylum by boat.

lemongrove Wed 30-Sep-20 10:51:42

Good post Jane10 ??It’s not a simple thing at all, and the most in need migrants don’t make it to British shores usually.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 11:02:12

Jane10

It's too easy to be goodies and baddies on this. Not all migrants are what they seem. Some are potentially dodgy but, crucially, some are the lucky ones to escape from their countries. The richer, better educated ones which their home countries need in order to rebuild and positively develop them. (I read an article on this by Goodhart).
So rather than just let everyone pour into UK, draw up a plan to educate and support people and get them back to their own countries with more to offer their countrymen. For those escaping war zones he postulated time limited asylum enabling people to return home after the immediate problem (whatever it was) has passed. Meanwhile UK govt to encourage our professional bodies to interact directly with these countries to help them to develop to higher standards rather than just sink lower as they've lost their brightest and best hopes. I hope I've conveyed that right. It seemed an interesting idea.

Wonderful idea, Jane10. Unfortunately our government has just abolished the Foreign Aid department which did exactly that sort of thing. It's now absorbed into the Foreign Office and will, under this government, follow a populist agenda (i.e why are we spending all this money on foreigners who only trouser it corruptly?)

So rather than just let everyone pour into UK,

We DON'T let 'everyone pour into the UK. We already run a 'points system', not dissimilar to Australia's. The only unrestricted 'immigration' was EU Freedom of Movement, a two way process that benefitted all EU citizens, including the British.

And, in fact, our revered Home Secretary, Ms Patel, sold Brexit to the Asian community by telling them that getting rid of FOM would enable them to get more visas for their friends and family to settle in the UK shock

The lies about immigration that people have absorbed over the years are heartbreaking.

Greta Wed 30-Sep-20 11:10:13

I wish we would educate our own people.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 11:11:45

I can't help thinking that as, by their terrible mis management of the coronavirus pandemic, the government has managed to create 60,000 empty spaces in the UK allowing a few thousand asylum seekers in to fill them wouldn't be the end of the world...

Alegrias Wed 30-Sep-20 11:17:06

Put your tin hat on MaizieD!

The people who manage to get themselves here are the ones with the energy and determination we can use to build a better country. You're not going to leave your own country and travel hundreds of miles in dreadful conditions on a whim.

My tin hat's on too.

MaizieD Wed 30-Sep-20 11:45:57

@Alegrias ?

Ashcombe Wed 30-Sep-20 11:51:24

Well said, MaizieD and Alegrias!

EllanVannin Wed 30-Sep-20 12:00:22

Is there any need for abusive answers if someone's post doesn't agree with yours ??
I speak for Firecracker who didn't deserve the answer she received " people like firecracker "---author GillT57.

And what might" people like Firecracker" be, GillT57 ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 12:06:57

I had an ancestor who was deported to Australia for poaching a rabbit to feed his 7 children. It was an incredibly sad story. He died in Sydney at quite an elderly age and never married, he always hoped he could eventually get back to the U.K. to his family. There are newspaper reports at the time, and he was extremely well thought of for his kindness etc.

He broke the law, because of poverty and desperation, just like so many if these folk who are going to be transported if Patel gets her way.

History will tell the same story, and how we have learned bugger all.