Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet another MP who doesn't keep the rules, what a hypocrite!

(186 Posts)
janipat Thu 01-Oct-20 19:00:47

www.heraldscotland.com/news/18763865.snp-mp-margaret-ferrier-travelled-scotland-london-testing-positive-covid-19/

And it says she called for Dominic Cummings' resignation, you couldn't make it up!

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 19:08:23

What an example to set for her constituents. What makes her exempt? ?

How many people has she possibly infected? We will never beat this virus, when people continue to behave like that.

Daisymae Thu 01-Oct-20 19:20:33

It's pretty unbelievable. Not really hard to see why it's so difficult to control the infection rates

tanith Thu 01-Oct-20 19:23:46

What an idiot no excuse for what she’s done.

cupaffull Thu 01-Oct-20 19:25:37

I'm sorry I couldn't read this due The Heralds cookies policy....why do these Companies browbeat us into accepting invasive cookies!
Will she resign?

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 19:34:06

I believe, she is the MP for Rutherglen and Hamilton West, near Glasgow.

She said she took a test on Saturday - but travelled to London on Monday because she was feeling "much better".

Ms Ferrier received a positive test result that same day, then took a train back to Scotland on Tuesday.

The MP said she had informed the police and that she deeply regretted her actions.

She has been suspended by the SNP.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 19:34:59

She’s had the whip withdrawn. I’m so fed up and ?? . What is the matter with these people - but this is the most egregious example yet

janipat Thu 01-Oct-20 19:38:18

for cupaffull

The Rutherglen MP, who previously called for Dominic Cummings to resign over his Barnard Castle trip, has issued an apology for her actions on social media.

She said she had no excuse for her behaviour, and has now reported herself to the police.

In her statement, Ms Ferrier wrote: "I apologise unreservedly for breaching Covid-19 restrictions by travelling this week when I shouldn't have. There is no excuse for my actions.

"On Saturday afternoon, after experiencing mild symptoms, I requested a Covid-19 test which I took that day. Feeling much better, I then travelled to London by train on Monday to attend Parliament as planned. This was wrong, and I am very sorry for my mistake.

"On Monday evening I received a positive test result for Covid-19. I travelled home by train on Tuesday morning without seeking advice. This was also wrong and I am sorry. I have been self-isolating at home ever since.

I never accept cookies, usually just click the "more info" or similar box, there's usually an option to "reject all" then "save options"

Urmstongran Thu 01-Oct-20 19:48:39

Unbelievable. An 800 mile round trip ... on a bluddy train too!

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 19:53:53

It’s just beyond all comprehension. There are decent hardworking people who have self isolated whilst waiting for a result and lost money. She had no reason to travel at all.

LullyDully Thu 01-Oct-20 19:54:16

One rule for the population and another one for MPs. Surely not. That was a wicked act. She mixed with people on two long train trips, and gave a speech in the Commons. She could have contaminated so many people many of whom wouldn't have only mild symptoms. A disgrace to her party. She should be sacked and so should have Dominic Cummings been . Such gross hypocrisy.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 20:02:40

She can’t be sacked - she’s had the whip suspended which is all that can be done at the moment. I’m sure the party are furious with her. Ever since COVID there have been examples
of MPs and well known people ignoring rules/guidance, including Hancock and Johnson. This is the worst example thus far, but it’s all been too slack all along .

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:03:22

I have no words ????

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 20:06:00

Indefensible, she has to go. What an idiot.

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:07:22

Sadly people do this kind of thing all the time.MP’s and those in the public eye should be careful about example though.
With Johnson’s Father, Stanley inside a shop with no mask and Corbyn at a dinner party for nine this week, am just waiting for the next revelation.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-20 20:07:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 20:09:05

Apparently what can happen now is that, following the report from the committee on standards to which I believe she has referred herself, they may then recommend action. If the action is suspension from the House for 10 working days, then her constituents can issue a recall petition.

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 20:10:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Only because it quotes a previously deleted post

Urmstongran Thu 01-Oct-20 20:10:38

Our daughter (full time teacher) and her husband (self employed) both felt ropey with high temperatures, loss of taste and smell, headache, aching muscles. They both went for a Covid test today. Results tomorrow. Daughter just rung me, children and husband in bed. She will work from home tomorrow whilst waiting for test result. Husband will just have to stay home with no pay.

That’s how it’s done properly.

MrsRochester Thu 01-Oct-20 20:13:40

I really do think there is a case for charges when someone does this. Surely, if she infected anyone else during her journey who subsequently becomes seriously ill (or worse, providence forbid), that would be grievous bodily harm at the least?
She is a privileged, well-recompensed public servant who knowingly put at risk fellow passengers but most certainly transport staff, very probably on less than generous salaries who given the choice would rather not be there in the current circumstances.

Entitlement at its worst. I hope she is genuinely ashamed and that the apology was sincere. Not that it will offer much comfort to anyone she infected.

Listening to reports from Italy today, our Government needs to take heed and become a damned sight more stringent on enforcement.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 20:14:01

I think it’s pathetic to make this party political - it’s not as though it was a gang of SNP MPs on a jolly. All parties have had their share of rule/guidance breaking including the PM and Cabinet ministers. We should rightly be very very critical of all of them who should of course be held to a higher standard than the rest of us. The problem partly has developed as smaller examples have been excused and explained away and it seems as though the slippery slope is alive and well.

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:14:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Quotes deleted post.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Oct-20 20:16:11

Mrs Rochester she reporter herself to the police and may well be charged. I’d guess she will be. Alegrias costed posts.

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 20:16:51

What an unpleasant remark, Terribull. sad

We are talking about an individual Scot , no need to take a dig at all Scots.

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 20:17:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.