Gransnet forums

News & politics

Curfew or lockdown - which is best?

(13 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 22-Oct-20 22:58:42

The French PM has announced that a further 38 departments will have curfew measures imposed on them bringing the total to 54 with a population of around 46 million.

The curfew starts at midnight tomorrow and will be between 9.00pm and 6.00am, lasting for 6 weeks.

Would it be better for the UK to have a blanket curfew rather than the haphazard lock downs taking place at the moment?

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 22:20:50

I suspect this question is now somewhat academic, but personally a curfew wouldn’t affect me. I can’t do late nights anymore.

NotTooOld Sun 22-Nov-20 22:37:46

Well, at least the curfew, in the terms you describe, keeps it simple and would be easy to police. The three tier system, which will likely be tightened up after 2 December, must be a nightmare to police. Do we know how effective a curfew is in comparison to the lockdowns, though? Does it work?

Doodledog Sun 22-Nov-20 22:41:05

I don't understand how a curfew would help against a pandemic.

Everyone would be leaving places to get home in time, so public transport would be crowded, streets would be full, and what would be the point anyway - if people can meet freely all day, staying in at night isn't going to stop transmission, is it?

The only possible benefit of a 9.00pm curfew that I can think of is that it will limit alcohol consumption in social groups so people might find it easier to be sensible, but even then, I wonder if the benefits will be outweighed by the problem of getting everyone home at the same time.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Nov-20 23:58:43

Agree with Doodledog.

M0nica Mon 23-Nov-20 09:08:54

Another who agrees with Doodledog.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Nov-20 09:20:32

I don't see it as an either/or choice between curfews or lockdowns.

I'm really worried that the Christmas celebrations (traditionally involving alcohol) with families and friends meeting up, will inevitably lead to an overwhelmed NHS at the end of January, and further, avoidable, loss of life.

We're so near having vaccination available that it seems such a shame to ruin things now!

Jaxjacky Mon 23-Nov-20 09:22:06

I don’t see the point of a curfew in France either as I believe bars and restaurants are closed anyway, apart from takeaway food?

MiniMoon Mon 23-Nov-20 09:28:58

The amount of young teenagers that hang around the street beside the Co-op here is ridiculous. They go into the shop, most not wearing masks, no social distancing at all, and if the staff say anything to them all they get is verbal abuse.
A 6 pm curfew would be a good idea.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 09:29:08

I’d like someone involved in the decision making to explain the thinking behind curfew.
Can’t for the life of me see what difference it makes if people pile out of the pubs at 9, 10 or 11 o’clock.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 09:30:46

At least curfew keeps business open whereas lockdown doesn’t.

Sunlover Tue 24-Nov-20 09:21:29

I holiday in Turkey a couple of times a year so have been following their restrictions with interest. Recently they have imposed curfews. Over 65s only allowed out between 1pm and 4pm and under 20s only allowed out 10am to 1pm. Schools shut till 2021.
Will be interesting to see if this works in reducing cases. Hard on the older people but better than earlier in year when they were not allowed out at any time for a number it weeks.

Doodledog Tue 24-Nov-20 10:30:27

Right at the beginning of the crisis (and before it had hit the UK) I remember talking to someone whose parents live in China. I forget all the finer detail, but they were allocated a coloured card, based on the first letter of their surname. It was linked to their car, and I think there was one card per household. People were allowed out on a rota system, based on their colour, and could be asked to show their card at any time.

This is obviously draconian, but so is basing it on age, and in some ways I think it is a better idea. It would mean that mixed age couples could go out together, siblings could potentially visit older parents at different times, and more workplaces could stay open based on shiftwork. It also means that if there were an outbreak, it is likely to be confined to one 'colour', who could be more easily isolated.