Gransnet forums

News & politics

Maureen Eemes from Barnsley

(40 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:13:13

I have seen this lady interviewed several times in the last 24 hours. She is 83 and has a unique outlook on Covid and the rules.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 11:18:16

Hello Grannygravy
What are her beliefs?

Alegrias2 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:19:23

Ah, the delightful Maureen, who didn't lockdown when we were told to, who thinks the government should ignore the scientists and tells everyone how she survived the virus because she is fit and well.

merlotgran Fri 23-Oct-20 11:19:30

Every now and then a woman of senior years puts a message across in a blunt and no nonsense way that grabs our attention and what she says won't be forgotten.

Just like the lady who made Gordon Brown look as big as a shirt button and Brenda from Bristol with, 'Not anotherrrrr one!'

Where would we be without them??

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:20:43

In Maureen’s case - alive!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:25:16

FannyCornforth

Hello Grannygravy
What are her beliefs?

She thinks that the Country should carry on as pre-Covid, with those who are vulnerable staying in.

Her reason this morning was that it will be our Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren paying for this with no jobs or prospects.

Alegrias2 Fri 23-Oct-20 11:31:02

Direct quotes from Maureen:

We need the government to get rid of the scientists. I didn’t vote for a scientist. Scientists should go back to their universities and laboratories. Presumably taking their vaccine research and treatments with them.

I’m glad that I got the opportunity to speak for the country. Well needless to say she doesn't speak for me.

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 11:34:48

Thank you.
So we shouldn't listen to the experts, but we should listen to her?
Has Maureen heard of long covid I wonder?
I'm just off to Google her...

FannyCornforth Fri 23-Oct-20 11:39:16

I see that Kate Garraway interviewed her on GMB.
That can't have been easy for Kate, with her husband so ill.

Ellianne Fri 23-Oct-20 11:42:20

I don't somehow think her interview will persuade people to change their minds either way, but it is indicative of the mentality of half the country.
Did she actually get covid herself?

trisher Fri 23-Oct-20 11:42:42

Apparently she thinks the government should" look after" old people and the vulnerable, wasn't that the reason for lock down? Really she just shows that age does not necessarily bring wisdom.

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 11:59:26

Imagine having to interview someone like that whilst your husband and childrens father is critically ill. I admire journalists.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 23-Oct-20 12:03:43

Are you sure she wasn’t BJ in drag?

MaizieD Fri 23-Oct-20 12:04:59

I think she's just displaying a lot of muddled thinking. The analogy with WW2 is ridiculous. We didn't exactly sit back and let the Germans bomb us into oblivion, did we?

PollyDolly Fri 23-Oct-20 12:06:58

Is she the lady who claimed she wasn't going to be locked in her house?

merlotgran Fri 23-Oct-20 12:17:01

I didn't say I agreed with her, BTW but what she said will be remembered.

I wouldn't want to be without the odd battleaxe. Hundreds of other members of the public have been given their brief spot in front of the camera to air their views.

Can't remember any of them.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:20:36

Yes merlotgran that’s exactly why I started the thread, she could end up as famous as Major Tom.

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 12:33:24

Yes the way things are going it wouldn't surprise me. Tragic.

Parsley3 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:44:05

I have just googled her. She has recovered from COVID and doesn’t know what all the fuss is about. She may not give a stuff but I do. I would like to see my granddaughters grow up and unlike her, I am not ready to end my life just yet.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:47:35

I heard part of the interview, disagreed with her views and thought she was foolish and irresponsible, but thought shes elderly and maybe eccentric so made allowances.
On reflection shes only a few years older than me, and should know better.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:48:30

I mean the original clip not the later interview.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:51:38

There seems to be no stopping her. Someone's shown her how to use Twitter. Joined this month.

I started to watch the recording of the GMB interview. angryDidn't finish it.

Agree with you trisher. She was so contradictory about how the old are looked after. If we did as she said the cases and deaths would be much higher. She wants everyone to get out but to be careful. She's no understanding that there are still people who are not being careful.

No evidence (test) that she or her husband had the virus.

Oldwoman70 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:54:16

Unfortunately, it is the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of people like her which is causing the virus to spread. She said she had it and is OK - how many people did she unknowingly pass it on to, are they OK?

The vast majority of people are abiding by the rules, including many not able to mix with family and friends, but because of people like her their isolation will last longer. Still as long as she is OK who cares about anyone else

Sparklefizz Fri 23-Oct-20 13:00:59

Totally agree Oldwoman ... and now her 5 minutes of fame seems to have gone to her head.

growstuff Fri 23-Oct-20 13:01:02

She doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. I honestly don't know why the media give her any time. I'm beginning to hate "vox pop" interviews as a lazy form of journalism.