Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farcical - UK wants access to EU gates at airports to avoid queues

(123 Posts)
biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:39:37

This is getting ridiculous- and they blame the EU for being 'difficult'. So weird.

MawB2 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:40:27

Are you in the same boat - metaphorically speaking then?

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 09:45:00

What’s the full story, rather than a one liner?

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 10:29:20

The full story is that the UK has asked the EU if UK citizens can continue to use the 'EU passports only' channels after 31st December.

I think the EU has said 'no'...

Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:30:06

MaizieD

The full story is that the UK has asked the EU if UK citizens can continue to use the 'EU passports only' channels after 31st December.

I think the EU has said 'no'...

????

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 10:40:34

Silly to ask on GN really.....I will read up on it somewhere else.
If quite as simple as stated...no doubt it’s for ease of transitioning.

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:43:30

Nope- it is for not having to face inconvenience of leaving.

Redhead56 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:47:22

We are made to stay in our homes and not allowed to be indoors with other households. Why should it be ok to travel anywhere until this pandemic is eradicated.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 10:52:28

I don't blame the EU for being stroppy. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Alegrias2 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:53:13

I've chosen the Express link to post because even though they say its the EU's fault, (surprise, surprise) they do include the sentence. "British negotiators had asked Brussels to let European countries carry on giving British holidaymakers the same preferential treatment as now." I think the EU are quite within their rights not to give us preferential treatment, seeing as we don't want to be part of their club any more.

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1351615/Brexit-news-UK-EU-passport-queue-airport-Brexit-travel-latest-trade-talks-update

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:53:24

Not quite the point here Redhead, somehow ;) and this is from 1st of Jan 2021 and onwards.

You should read the comments on the sites of the (gutter) tabloid Press, Brexiters are going nuts about this.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 10:53:33

The EU have ploughed millions into this country and all the thanks they've had is a rebuff.

Pantglas2 Sat 24-Oct-20 10:53:39

The Guardian article states that the UK will allow EU citizens to use that system after Brexit so why wouldn’t the EU reciprocate?

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 10:54:02

If quite as simple as stated...no doubt it’s for ease of transitioning.

Wake up, lemon! We've 'had' transition.

This is the end of transition. Out into the big wide world on 1st January 2021 for that bit of 'we knew it wouldn't be easy' that you and your leave voting mates are so looking forward to.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 10:56:32

I'd like to write a letter to them apologising for all the mis-guided people we have in this country.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 10:57:51

Imagine a war breaking out and they turned round and said " you're on your own, mate ".

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 10:58:25

Pantglas2

The Guardian article states that the UK will allow EU citizens to use that system after Brexit so why wouldn’t the EU reciprocate?

How can 'that system' even exist in the UK after 31st December? We'll just have a UK passports only' channel. If the UK government are proposing to let EU passport holders use it I am utterly astounded...

I see absolutely no reason why the EU should reciprocate (if the story about the UK side is true..)

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 10:58:52

Europe want & need holiday makers. If queues are ridiculous early next year then UK holiday folk will just think ‘sod it’ and go to Turkey or the USA to spend their cash. Covid permitting of course.

Money talks.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 10:59:24

Quite awake here thanks Maizie but there is still transitioning in some matters, you can’t go all out from one thing to another so quickly.Why shouldn’t British negotiators
Ask for this....all part of many negotiations going on between us and the EU.The EU can say ‘no’ of course, just as we can say ‘no’ to their demands on fish. It’s not a personal thing, it’s all
Business.

HootyMcOwlface Sat 24-Oct-20 11:01:15

I imagine there will be a sort of war coming over Gibraltar? Leavers don’t ever mention what sort of a mess they will be landing them in do they?

Alegrias2 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:01:32

MaizieD

Pantglas2

How can 'that system' even exist in the UK after 31st December? We'll just have a UK passports only' channel. If the UK government are proposing to let EU passport holders use it I am utterly astounded...

I see absolutely no reason why the EU should reciprocate (if the story about the UK side is true..)

Also, it would break EU law around the Schengen agreement, it also says that in the Guardian article.

But then why would our government worry about that?

biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:05:39

That is the reality of Brexit- and EU Law. All people coming from outside the EU zone have to have their passport checked properly and it takes time. There will not be a UK only queue Maizie- but a non EU queue which will include all the rest of the world. This is not up for negotiation, just plain fact. Brexit means Brexit.

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 11:10:51

If queues are ridiculous early next year then UK holiday folk will just think ‘sod it’ and go to Turkey or the USA

Don't be daft, Ug, the British love queueing.

And if they're all flocking to Turkey or the US won't the queues be just as bad?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 11:11:40

HootyMcOwlface

I imagine there will be a sort of war coming over Gibraltar? Leavers don’t ever mention what sort of a mess they will be landing them in do they?

The Spanish have for as long as I can remember closed the Gibraltar/Spanish border whenever they feel like it.

They decided to close on the day of my sisters wedding, no prior notification (both countries were in the EU at the time)

MaizieD Sat 24-Oct-20 11:12:43

There will not be a UK only queue Maizie-

I think you've misunderstood me. I was talking about in UK airports and ferry terminals, biba, not about the EU side...