Gransnet forums

News & politics

How confident are you in a good deal for the UK?

(874 Posts)
Trisha57 Fri 04-Dec-20 22:48:56

Just that really. Watching the News tonight and it seems there are conflicting views, as always.

Trisha57 Fri 04-Dec-20 22:53:07

Sorry, should have specified. Brexit deal. I'm so confused with all the differing views. Some very positive, others so negative. Who do I believe? Hard to work out at the moment.

Urmstongran Fri 04-Dec-20 23:16:11

I feel we are in very safe hands with Lord David Frost as our chief negotiator. A very clever man. The EU aren’t dealing with Mrs Capitulation May (she of the famous 4 plant pots by John Crace). Barnier ran rings around her even though she famously said ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’. She didn’t have the huge majority behind her in the HoC, was a closet Remainer herself so her heart wasn’t really in it - although she turned up at silly o’clock for meetings because the EU asked her to jump and she said ‘how high?’.

We are in much better hands now and crucially, we CAN walk away this time & the EU know it.

I still think a deal will be struck. But then I thought (along with 70 million Americans) that Trump would win a second term ....
?

Granny23 Fri 04-Dec-20 23:39:51

I am past caring really. It will either be a rubbish deal or no deal at all. As a Scot, I am looking forward to leaving the sinking ship that is the UK and allying instead, as an equal Country. with our friendly neighbours in Europe. Scotland has enough assets/resources to thrive as an Independent Country. However, we have plenty of space and could do with a bigger population, so refugees fleeing Brexit from England or Wales will be very welcome.

Lucretzia Fri 04-Dec-20 23:48:15

There might be a deal.

There might not be a deal.

That's about all I can say.

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 23:50:41

Well, the Internal Market Bill goes back to the Commons next week. If, as they say they are going to, the tories reinstate the international law breaking clause that the Lords threw out, I think that's our chance of a deal (and I agree with granny23 that it'll be rubbish if we do get one) pretty much out of the window. And a deal with Biden's USA.

Galaxy Fri 04-Dec-20 23:54:24

Yes I remember that urmstongran, forgive me if I am a little cautious with regard to your predictions wink

growstuff Sat 05-Dec-20 00:03:06

I've given up caring. Whatever we end up with will be worse than we had. The UK will be split and a much worse, small-minded and poorer place. May did her best to salvage something, but she didn't stand a chance with the rabble in the Conservative Party. As ever, I will just get on with my life, but I feel sorry for the legacy we're leaving to our children.

It's the end of the road for Johnson. Goodness knows who we will end up with.

paddyanne Sat 05-Dec-20 01:10:31

Anyone with any sense knows we already had a great deal

.One where we voted for any rules /laws that were put in place.
Why would they want to walk away from the EU with a worse deal than we had ?
Why do they think the EU would be desperate to hold onto the UK ,especially if Scotland .Wales and NI all jump ship..England cant afford its own debts thats why it wants to keep us and thankfully the polls for Independence are rising in favour of us going our own way .
Regardless of what Johnson says ..its supposedly a UNION not a deed of ownership and he cant stop us.What did Hunt say about Unions not holding countries prisoner when they wanted to leave? Of course that was Brexit he was talking about but if it was true for Brexit its true for Scotland .

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Dec-20 02:37:04

One thing for sure if there is as is likely a no deal, not a single person would have voted for it.

This will be the U.K. s most undemocratic decision a government has made.

No deal was simply not envisaged at the referendum, and if it had been the referendum would have been lost by the brexiters.

vegansrock Sat 05-Dec-20 05:35:40

Brexit believers have said all along we would get a great deal as the EU. “needs us more than we need them”. It’s now obvious that whatever deal we get will be rubbish, even though Johnson and Gove will polish it up to claim a “titanic success”, which their fans will lap up. This is the first time in history that a country has spent more in negotiating its way out of a free trade deal to put itself in a worse economic position than before, We look like mugs, We are.

grandMattie Sat 05-Dec-20 05:57:52

Europe daren’t agree to anything other than an awful deal for us, because many of the more recent joiners want to leave too. They HAVE to punish us. Whatever happens, deal/no deal, we shall be punished! And I’ve been saying that since before the referendum. It is because we have had the gall to question the wisdom of many of the decisions take by —France— —and— —Germany— by the EU Parliament.
What puzzles me is the fixation to have a United States of Europe”, rather than what it used to be - a common market.

Framilode Sat 05-Dec-20 06:30:17

I think this is just theatrics agreed between the two sides. They will both compromise and Johnson will be presented as the PM who saved the day and prevented us from the disaster of no deal. In reality he will have climbed down. We'll see.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Dec-20 06:47:43

How confident are you in a good deal for the UK?
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is not at all confident, and 10 is extremely confident, I’d have to put -50 sadangry

Riverwalk Sat 05-Dec-20 07:26:27

we CAN walk away this time & the EU know it.

But that would be a very foolish thing to do Urmston - I think we would come off worse. We are one country, the EU is 27 countries.

At this very late hour I'm hoping for some sort of deal but whatever it is it won't be as good as the one we already had!

Kandinsky Sat 05-Dec-20 08:21:12

Past caring.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Dec-20 08:34:29

I don’t think that Johnson has a choice tbh.

They must go for some sort of deal and if you break it down, I think that the U.K. will actually benefit from accepting the deal.

State aid - the U.K. has never been as generous as other EU countries in supporting their businesses, so in fact it would benefit the U.K. if state support is held at a certain level.

Level playing field - this provides certainty to U.K. business with the knowledge that they are competing in a fair field

Fisheries - the issue is undoubtedly something that is going to be very difficult both to us and France. However, if we allow this issue to scupper the deal, which would mean destroying our farmers, how would that make any sense? Fishing would still be trading , the6 would have a bigger % of the fish available and we would save our farmers. I think it is a no brainier.

vegansrock Sat 05-Dec-20 08:35:19

grandMattie if you mean by “punished” that we won’t get a free trade deal without any obligations than any fool could tell you that wasn’t going to happen.

Gingster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:37:24

????????

GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Dec-20 08:42:49

I have read this morning that France and Germany want tariff free access to the UK market I do hope that they are offering a reciprocal tariff free access for the UK?

Iam64 Sat 05-Dec-20 09:16:28

If there is a deal, the country will still be worse of than if this Brexit nonsense never happened.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Dec-20 09:36:04

Who knows?

But I do hope that we get a proper deal as regards fishing. We are an island nation and fishing has always been very important to the whole country. I think that the fishing industry got the worst of the EU, and that if we are going to bite the bullet on all the problems that leaving might bring, we should at least get a good deal for these coastal communities - to drop them in it would be a disgrace.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 09:56:30

Hehe!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:01:14

GrannyGravy13

I have read this morning that France and Germany want tariff free access to the UK market I do hope that they are offering a reciprocal tariff free access for the UK?

That would be no question. It would certainly be reciprocal, and to everyone’s advantage.

The big issue is what will the ERG do?

Hopefully if it comes down to the wire Labour will vote the for the deal rather than risk a no deal and the disaster that would follow and thereby get the bill through even if the ERG crowd vote against.

lemongrove Sat 05-Dec-20 10:08:34

I agree Luckygirl the UK fishing communities were treated very badly when we entered the EU and the least we can do this time around is to get things right for them.
Macron who is unpopular in France, ( and everywhere I suspect )? is making laughable demands on fishing just to play well with home audiences.
If a deal can’t be done that is reasonable for all sides, then we should call it a day.
I notice the Scottish Nationalists on this thread don’t mind being under the weighty thumb of the EU when it comes to
‘Independence’ which always amuses me.The EU will have your fish before you can say Jack McRobinson ( alongside other things.)