Gransnet forums

News & politics

Vote is Yea to impeach Donald Trump

(63 Posts)
PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 21:25:42

Just that really. I thought it might be interesting to follow this separately, if that's okay.

I must say I wish we could see the votes counting up for the parties in the way that we can do for the USA.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Jan-21 21:28:10

Best news all day. Best news for 4 years actually.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 21:31:29

Goody! Cheering news!

Galaxy Wed 13-Jan-21 21:33:02

I am glad, but also worried, men like Trump are very dangerous in these situations.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 21:34:38

Isn't it. It does still depend on the Senate though.

I was just listening and they were saying that if you accept a pardon (or pardon yourself in Trump's case) you are basically admitting guilt. This means you lose certain civil liberties such as you could then be searched without notice. Interesting.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 21:38:26

There is expectation of a pre-recorded video from Trump.

Lisagran Wed 13-Jan-21 21:47:07

Chewbacca

Best news all day. Best news for 4 years actually.

Absolutely!

BlueBelle Wed 13-Jan-21 21:48:20

Couldn’t happen to a ‘nastier’ person just needs some long term ( life) treatment in a secure unit

Spice101 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:04:36

Let's see him turn this into a positive. I'm sure he will find some way to do so in his own mind.

Chewbacca Wed 13-Jan-21 22:08:00

The City of New York has now stated that will be terminating all of their contracts with the Trump Organisation which includes two ice rinks, the Central Park Carousel and the Trump Golf Links in the Bronx. Trump has already come out fighting and is threatening to sue for $30 million. Wall Street is also looking to distance themselves from him and then there's the possibility of bankruptcy.

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jan-21 22:10:15

I do hope the Republicans who voted to impeach him are safe and their families likewise. I think it's a brave thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing is really tough.

BlueBelle Wed 13-Jan-21 22:10:48

Oh such blissful reading chewbacca

SueDonim Wed 13-Jan-21 22:16:48

I’m so glad I don’t have to go out into the cold and dark to demonstrate against DT, like I did four years ago! Apart from the fact that’s illegal now anyway. ?

MayBee70 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:16:58

We live in strange times, don’t we. Did anyone see those Republicans on the news (Sky News I think) still defending him.

Grandmabatty Wed 13-Jan-21 22:22:03

It's good news. As far as I know,it debars him from standing for president again in four years which he had threatened to do. He's an odious individual.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:25:19

It is good news but disappointing that so many, over 150 I think, voted against it.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 22:26:04

I have just said almost exactly that to my family in the US MayBee. If there were a plague of frogs tomorrow I am not sure I would be surprised. It is a worry what Trump will do to reciprocate. I can't, sadly, believe it will be anything good or statesmanlike, sadly.

PippaZ Wed 13-Jan-21 22:26:49

sadly

Luckygirl Wed 13-Jan-21 22:30:44

Well - that is the correct decision I am sure; but I do fear for the safety of so many of those involved in making this happen - the US has become lawless under the Trump regime and I do not think he will go quietly. Whatever the senate decides he is likely to be rousing his "troops" behind the scenes for a long time to come.

An evil and dangerous man.

Jane10 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:31:18

I was so glad to hear this. I know it's bad of me but I wanted to see him punished for his really evil behaviour. If the impeachment goes ahead he'll lose a lot of benefits such as a presidential pension, paid staff and travel etc. Maybe after all his debts are called in he'll have a penurious old age in which to consider his life and how he chose to lead it.

Esspee Wed 13-Jan-21 22:44:30

Brilliant news.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jan-21 00:30:15

Grandmabatty

It's good news. As far as I know,it debars him from standing for president again in four years which he had threatened to do. He's an odious individual.

Sadly, this isn't an automatic outcome even if successful. Congress has authority to add in a clause about disqualification but they don't actually have to do this. It's not a requirement.

Norah Thu 14-Jan-21 00:33:24

Brilliant!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:44:37

Just watching CNN.

This is by no means over. Trump is still supported by the vast majority of the Republican voter in the USA. They support his actions on the 6th. He still has control over the Republican Party.

There are reports by such agents as the FBI that there are many, many plans to continue with this insurgence. This week will be high risk. There is no doubt that there are some police who are sympathetic.

This will almost certainly run for months or years. How Trump is going to continue without the easy means of communication is interesting.
Trump is also faced with real difficulties over his private business life. Many organisations including banks and other businesses are withdrawing cooperation, although a Dubai developer is still supporting Trump and intends to continue working with Trump.

nanna8 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:48:50

What kept them? All too little,too late