Gransnet forums

News & politics

Entire government resigns

(15 Posts)
varian Fri 15-Jan-21 12:57:24

Dutch government resigns over childcare benefit scandal

www.politico.eu/article/dutch-government-resigns-over-childcare-benefit-scandal/

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 13:04:27

I am not familiar with the scandal. But does this actually demonstrate a government with ethics?

Rosie51 Fri 15-Jan-21 13:10:37

Rutte has changed his stance, previously being against this move. I wonder if his and his party's strong performance in the polls before the March elections has helped.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Jan-21 13:15:04

I would like to think this is ethics and not political manoeuvring, but with only a couple of months to go before the election I rather doubt it. It may just be an attempt to prevent further digging into this and maybe other scandals.

lemongrove Fri 15-Jan-21 13:46:28

I echo what you say Nfk??
Am sure the last sentence is the true one.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 15:43:46

NfkDumpling

I would like to think this is ethics and not political manoeuvring, but with only a couple of months to go before the election I rather doubt it. It may just be an attempt to prevent further digging into this and maybe other scandals.

I'd like to say I was surprised, but politicians... It would be more unusual if they WERE ethical.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:01:11

I am so disappointed, I hoped I was going to read that our shower had resigned!

varian Fri 15-Jan-21 16:04:24

It used to be the case in this country that a minister who had not lived up to the job would "do the honourable thing" and resign.

Now doesn't matter how scandalous their behaviour or disastrously incompetent or corrupt they are, not even one of our dreadful band of ministers seems willing to resign, let alone a whole government.

Callistemon Fri 15-Jan-21 16:09:14

I got quite excited then too, Charleygirl

Anything to brighten the day!

Pantglas2 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:10:36

I can’t recall anyone after Carrington and the Falkland debacle, varian! Times change.

EllanVannin Fri 15-Jan-21 16:25:12

The bigger the rogue the more likely he/ she is to stay put, simply because they've already developed the brass-neck to do so. It goes for anyone in high places really.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 16:29:30

Me too charliegirl got excited
The Dutch on the whole I have always found to be honourable people
Are you talking about Trump ellenvannin ???

varian Fri 15-Jan-21 16:31:04

Labour MP Estelle Morris became a minister in the Department for Education and Employment in 1997 and was promoted to Secretary of State for Education and Skills in 2001. She was the first former comprehensive school teacher to have the position. She suddenly resigned her post in October 2002, explaining that she did not feel up to the job. She had made a commitment to the then Conservative Shadow Education Secretary, David Willetts to resign if the literacy and numeracy targets were not met.[

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estelle_Morris

Who would you rather have as Minister of Education-- Estelle Morris or Gavin Williamson?

Callistemon Fri 15-Jan-21 16:36:44

Neither (is that allowed?) but if I had to spend the evening with either then Estelle every time.

Sarnia Fri 15-Jan-21 16:37:57

You got my hopes up there, for a minute.