Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Great Reset, what is it?

(13 Posts)
CraftyGranny Sun 17-Jan-21 17:46:04

Does anybody know what the Great Reset is? My DGS asked me, but I didn't know what to tell him.

FannyCornforth Sun 17-Jan-21 17:53:29

It's to do with conspiracy theories surrounding Covid. I wouldn't give it too much thought if I were you.
You could Google it, but you may be there for a while...
How old is your Grandson, he may know already and is testing you!

PippaZ Sun 17-Jan-21 17:55:37

It's to do with capitalism CraftyGranny. I think a summary would be that it's about resetting the world's economy to make things better for everyone coming out of covid but I expect someone could explain in more detail.

How old is your DGS?

Grany Sun 17-Jan-21 17:56:24

The pause during lockdown created by the pandemic will result in a 7% decrease in global emissions in 2020. The UN states that we need a decrease of 7.6% every year until 2030 to avoid climate and ecological disaster. This means we need to maintain the same decrease every year as if we were living in lockdown.

The challenge is that as we emerge from the pandemic the pressure to go back to ‘Business As Usual’ will intensify. But people don’t want to go back. Only 23%* of the UK public believe following lockdown, advertising should encourage people to consume, shop and fly like before lockdown. 77%* believe it is the industry’s responsibility to encourage people to behave more sustainably like during lockdown.

Right now we have a small window of opportunity to reset and shape the future we want.

CraftyGranny Sun 17-Jan-21 18:04:08

FannyCornforth Oh, it was my DGGS who asked not DGS, he is 12. He heard about it in school.

AmberSpyglass Sun 17-Jan-21 18:04:18

Basically, a group of banks and businesses have got together to make a plan for capitalism to be a bit better. Not lots better, obviously, because then their shareholders might get slightly smaller bonuses, but enough that it makes them look good.

I think this was planned before Covid hit, but it’s been tied up with some conspiracy theories about how Covid is either fake or being manipulated to bring about global change - increased control, an end to physical money, etc.

It’s often confused with the Great Awakening, which is new age conspiracy theorist nonsense.

PippaZ Sun 17-Jan-21 18:09:41

CraftyGranny, you could ask him to write an explanation for you so you can pass it on to other Grannies. School may have more details smile

CraftyGranny Sun 17-Jan-21 18:13:17

Good Grief PippaZ I am hoping it is playground talk and not from school itself

FannyCornforth Sun 17-Jan-21 18:20:25

Don't worry CraftyGranny , it will definitely be playground talk as you say.
Teachers have got enough to cram into the day.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 00:14:01

I believe it was first mentioned at the World Economic Forum earlier this year. It was an idea for rebuilding a kinder and more sustainable world as it recovers from the pandemic.

Far-right conspiracy theorists latched on to it as some kind of global plot and as evidence there's a co-ordinated plan to take control of the world. It's gone mainstream, which is how a 12 year old has heard of it.

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 00:14:39

FannyCornforth

Don't worry CraftyGranny , it will definitely be playground talk as you say.
Teachers have got enough to cram into the day.

Unfortunately it's not just playground talk. It's doing the rounds of social media.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 00:24:31

Growstuff oh, yes I know, I was just commenting on what op said. I think that she was concerned that the teacher had been talking about it.
Which they may have been, but I doubt.
In my experience we tend to avoid that kind of stuff as it quickly gets out of hand!

CraftyGranny Tue 19-Jan-21 16:01:10

Thank you all for taking the time to explain. I shall relay to my DGGS