Gransnet forums

News & politics

Civility and decency

(34 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:06:46

Today we see the end of lies, corruption, and immorality in the leadership of the USA

I envy them.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 13:22:36

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4aTjeCP0Lo

Polly4t42 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:37:42

Sadly they are now such a divided country that although I welcome a more civilised leader he will have a tough time ahead.

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:40:27

I don't envy them. The country is deeply divided and those divisions have resulted in violence and the loss of life, and they have a mountain to climb with regard to getting some control over the pandemic.

Namsnanny Wed 20-Jan-21 13:41:06

I agree with your basic sentiment wwmk2 but really?
A bit rose tinted, when has politics (or any Institution for that matter) been 'free' from human frailty?

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:42:47

Love it! I envy them as well. Last year at times the only consolation was it could be worse,we could have Trump....

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:43:51

They are in a terrible situation but at least they have hope.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 13:51:09

Actually I’m delighted to see the back of the odious Trump but I don’t envy Americans. Their pandemic is appalling too and there are some shocking extremes of political views ( if you can call the nonsense the trumpettes etc splint “political views”)

PippaZ Wed 20-Jan-21 13:53:18

It's a great day for the USA. I think we could see just what the worst could have meant for them.

petra Wed 20-Jan-21 14:01:07

Today we see the end of lies, corruption and immorality in the leadership of the USA
Some part of lies, corruption and immorality have been part of every US administration since George Washington onwards. To believe otherwise is naive.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:06:55

I envy them a decent leader, a leader who isn’t corrupt, a leader that doesn’t lie.

I’m not so naive to not understand the massive, if not almost impossible task ahead of Biden.

I’m not so naive as to not understand that the white supremacists are a continual and existential threat.

I’m no so naive as to not understand the links between members of our lying corrupt government and white supremacists like Bannon.

White supremacy is a bigger danger to the USA than terrorists from outside the USA.

Nightsky2 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:13:05

Whitewavemark2. A leader who isn’t corrupt, and who would that be?.

Nightsky2 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:14:21

Sorry, misunderstood.

lemongrove Wed 20-Jan-21 14:14:29

Goodbye to Trump thankfully, but have never envied America for any reason whatsoever!
Good point Petra and that can be applied to any administration and any political party.

Nightsky2 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:22:34

Jo Biden has an almost impossible task ahead. I am fearful of what might happen today. All those people with all those guns.

GagaJo Wed 20-Jan-21 14:23:40

I am partially envious of them too. I have just been watching Obama signing out. A admirable leader.

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jan-21 15:20:52

I don’t like Trump in any shape or form, but Biden has a hard road ahead and I don’t trust any politician to be totally ‘clean’. I’ve met, worked with and visited many Americans, I’ve never envied their country or culture.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 15:25:00

I don’t think anyone ever reads posts properly! I’m probably just as guilty.

But I didn’t mention anything about envying anything else but their change of leadership from a lying corrupt immoral b.....d to someone who is half decent.

I wish we could do the same.

Norah Wed 20-Jan-21 15:32:56

Joyous occasion!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 15:36:07

What a pity the American grans all seem to have disappeared, I hope that they didn’t feel welcome.

PippaZ Wed 20-Jan-21 15:38:47

petra

^Today we see the end of lies, corruption and immorality in the leadership of the USA^
Some part of lies, corruption and immorality have been part of every US administration since George Washington onwards. To believe otherwise is naive.

Was there an implication that the OP didn't recognise that some level of lies, corruption and immorality have always existed in governments Petra. I did not read it like that.

I could lie and you could murder but I don't think anyone would think both actions, though wrongful, were of equal magnitude. In the case of the Trump presidency it is the magnitude of the immorality that holds it apart.

Equally Trump and his backers have virtually brainwashed many people in that country and who knows what that will do to it in the long run. Believing in a lie does not do your mental health any good but then finding out you have been believing in a lie doesn't either. I don't believe that is something we have seen in our lifetime but it has sadly spread it's spores to other administrations in other countries.

PippaZ Wed 20-Jan-21 15:40:46

seen before in our lifetime

cupaffull Wed 20-Jan-21 15:52:45

OMG will you ever get off your high horse! If this country is sooo bad you have options....
Tho I don't believe even you intended to say this....

"What a pity the American grans all seem to have disappeared, I hope that they didn’t feel welcome."

Obama, a thoroughly "nice" guy but did little...A great figurehead!

GrannyGravy13 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:08:12

Checkout the number of bombs dropped by Obama/Biden Administration compared to the number of bombs dropped by Trump/Pence.............

Checkout the number of US Troops brought home to USA in body bags under the Obama/Biden Administration compared to Trumps?

I am not a Trump fan but do not let some relevant facts get lost in your dislike for Trump.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:25:56

I am not taking policies, although I could. No , I am talking about decency and honesty.

I’d take Biden any day over Trump.

I’d take quite a few over Johnson and cronies.