Gransnet forums

News & politics

Political doublespeak

(20 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 25-Jan-21 07:53:47

Have you noticed the doublespeak phrases that are becoming more common? You know the ones that sound like something is being done but actually when you break them down nothing is.

For example:

Under consideration

Considering a variety of options

Actively reviewing

Holding regular discussions

vampirequeen Mon 25-Jan-21 07:58:02

And lets not forget:

Reviewing all options

Ashcombe Mon 25-Jan-21 07:59:22

And:-

“doing the right thing”

“unprecedented times”

Grammaretto Mon 25-Jan-21 08:08:24

"carefully monitoring"
"carefully considering"
Therese Coffey just now.

varian Mon 25-Jan-21 08:46:48

"We've been very clear that..."

sodapop Mon 25-Jan-21 08:54:35

And the perennial favourite - lessons will be learned.

PECS Mon 25-Jan-21 09:09:35

This language has been used by generations of politicians... it's forked tongue speak & lies at worst and blustering at best!

vintage1950 Mon 25-Jan-21 09:12:26

Lessons have been learned....

MaizieD Mon 25-Jan-21 09:42:07

World beating...

varian Mon 25-Jan-21 09:55:59

"prosper mightily"

Ellianne Mon 25-Jan-21 10:07:43

I think you're right vampirequeen that theses are all buzzwords which become fashionable in a particular context. Often in times of upheaval.
I'm not sure that the phrases are totally reserved for politics though. I've heard my DH use similar expressions in board meetings.
Interesting thread.

Hetty58 Mon 25-Jan-21 10:14:27

'We remain cautious' (aka 'We haven't a clue')

Blinko Mon 25-Jan-21 10:15:50

Then there's '...what the British public wants is...' when it's what the politicians want.

Ellianne Mon 25-Jan-21 10:20:08

So, is it a form of manipulation? As if to say, "we've already made up our minds, just need now to get the message across in a palatable manner."

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 10:48:52

As I say to DH if I ask him a question and he wants to avoid the point:
"That's a politician's answer"

Wheniwasyourage Mon 25-Jan-21 10:53:37

We're following the science = we haven't a clue, but at least we've found some suckers to blame when it all goes wrong.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 25-Jan-21 10:55:38

Elianne, your reference to getting the message across reminds me of the one we hear from the losers after any election - "We failed to get our message across". It doesn't take into account the possibility that they actually did get the message across and it was rejected by the voters, who understood it perfectly well!

Ramblingrose22 Mon 25-Jan-21 10:55:49

Politicians think we are all foolish enough to believe their double speak or admire their flowery language .

Unfortunately very few journalists press them to explain what they really mean so they carry on.....

Did anyone understand what "moon shot" meant in relation to vaccinations?

JenniferEccles Mon 25-Jan-21 11:09:36

I don’t think it’s necessarily a form of manipulation, just a way for politicians to answer the often really daft questions which newspaper and tv journalists throw at them.

The number of times I have shouted at the tv screen during one of those sessions “ they don’t know yet”, after some unreasonable questions

I know the politicians’ phrases are irritating but so are the unanswerable questions frequently posed to them.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 25-Jan-21 16:54:40

Yes, JenniferEccles, I agree that some of the questions are stupid.On the other hand, if the politicians would just say something like "I don't know" or even "That is a silly question and I can't answer it as nobody knows the answer to it yet" they would get more respect than when they try to convince you that they know everything.