Gransnet forums

News & politics

Independence for Wales

(35 Posts)
kittylester Mon 01-Mar-21 18:32:16

Having just heard that there is increasing support for the above, I wondered if anyone had a take on it?

Casdon Mon 01-Mar-21 18:38:14

In the latest survey 14% support it, but 15% want to abolish the Welsh Government altogether - the majority are in the middle, would maybe like a bit more power than we have now in Wales. It won’t happen anytime soon in my view, there just isn’t the public appetite for it - just a story for St Davids Day.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 18:45:51

Wales isn’t going anywhere.

Casdon Mon 01-Mar-21 18:50:46

This is what we really think Urmstongran!

Anniebach Mon 01-Mar-21 18:52:45

We certainly do ???????

Gwyneth Mon 01-Mar-21 18:57:07

I don’t think the performance of Wales’ First Minister would encourage independence. I think it would be madness.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 01-Mar-21 18:57:17

So true Casdon.

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Mar-21 18:59:32

I defer to Casdon who obviously knows what she's talking about.

But why would your opinion of Wales's current FM make you anti-independence? Oh hang on, I've heard something like this before....grin

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Mar-21 19:01:30

Same here Gwyneth.
The grass is always greener then when you get their the bugger needs cutting.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 19:01:50

❤️ it Casdon!
Wales also voted for Brexit like England. I think the majority are happy to stick around and, like the optimism over the vaccine rollout, wait for better times and some levelling UP.

Gwyneth Mon 01-Mar-21 19:06:41

The last bit of your comment really made me laugh timetogo as I’ve never heard the bit ‘the bugger needs cutting’ ?

Casdon Mon 01-Mar-21 19:31:06

I’ll be honest Gwyneth and say I think your comment is irrelevant. It’s got nothing at all to do with politics in my opinion. Welsh people are incredibly proud of the heritage of our country, culture and traditions, sport, language, and the sheer beauty of the place. Being Welsh is enough. It wouldn’t make any difference to people’s views on independence if the Sky Blue Pink Party was in charge, it’s just isn’t a motivator. Feel free to disagree or not.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Mar-21 19:33:29

I agree with Casdon, there isn’t really an appetite for independence in Wales. Wales couldn’t afford to go it alone even if it wanted to.
Plaid Cymru are the nationalist party pushing for independence and Labour seem to have jumped on this bandwagon because they fear losing votes to PC in my opinion.
Most of the Welsh people in my sphere seem happy with the union, although not so much with Boris Johnson. They also are pretty staunch royalists which always surprises me.
Wales is historically anti Tory and so any survey is going to say that the First Minister is handling the corona virus crisis better than the Prime Minister, as reported today.
People forget which government it was that ensured we had vaccine for all and how slow the roll out was in Wales initially. Although now ahead of the field with our much smaller population.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Mar-21 19:39:26

I also agree with Casdon about Welshness, a tremendous pride in their heritage, culture, language, traditions and dare I say sport , especially following the win against England in the rugby. If English people can respect that pride, we’ll all rub along a while longer, I hope.

grannyrebel7 Mon 01-Mar-21 19:40:12

I'm Welsh and I don't want independence. I never wanted devolution either and I definitely didn't want to leave Europe.

varian Mon 01-Mar-21 19:45:24

Happy St David's day to all our Welsh friends

Anniebach Mon 01-Mar-21 19:49:56

Our language was banned, my grandfather was hit for speaking Welsh in school. Welsh is now an official language of
the U.K.

We battled through many strikes, Churchill sent troupes - the
Tonypandy Riots .

Cymru am Byth ???????

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 19:57:31

I read today there’s 2 schools that are going to be Welsh speaking only from September?

Plaid Cymru leader (nice guy I can’t remember his name, sorry) was on tv a couple of weeks ago saying Wales will be like Scotland in 10 years’ time. With respect, I don’t think so. Obviously it’s what his aim is but I don’t think there’s the overall appetite,

LauraNorder Mon 01-Mar-21 20:08:36

My four boys all attended a Welsh Language only secondary school. There was an English stream at first but in 1985 or 86 it became Welsh only and all subjects except English Language and English Literature were taught through the medium of Welsh. Three of the four went to English universities. I think that English being their home language helped. Some of their friends who also spoke only Welsh at home either went to Welsh universities or didn’t go on to further education.
I very much respect the desire to preserve the ancient language but do think it’s wrong to teach only through that medium thereby limiting opportunity to Wales and Patagonia.
There needs to be balance.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Mar-21 20:11:18

Adam Price Urms

fairfraise Mon 01-Mar-21 20:23:08

I don't think there is any strong desire for independence. There is little confidence among many in current performance of Welsh Assembly particularly with the pettiness of what can not be sold in shops at the moment.

Gwyneth Mon 01-Mar-21 20:39:51

casdon I’m a bit confused here. Are you referring to my humorous reply to another poster re ‘the grass’ which I agree with you is probably irrelevant and not political or are you referring to my earlier comment re my non support for Welsh independence? I am a welsh speaker and live in an area which voted against the Welsh Assembly. We have a very robust and vigorous social life of Welsh speakers and embrace the wealth of poetry and prose in our Eisteddfodau which is our Welsh cultural heritage handed down from generation to generation for fifteen centuries. We also have excellent to schools in our area which teach through the medium of Welsh. On the downside as a result of the Welsh Assembly’s focus on South Wales we in the North are very much the ‘poor relations’. Independence, in my view would only exacerbate this situation. What have Plaid Cymru the party who are seeking independence done for us in the North? I am happy with being a part of the Union and the friends I have who are not Welsh have always respected our language and culture. Our rugby team are brilliant and heading towards a grand slam so I’m a very happy Welsh woman!

Anniebach Mon 01-Mar-21 20:42:58

I too think North Wales is ignored often

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 20:49:39

Yes that’s him LauraNorder. Thanks. He is very listenable (is that even a word?).

Lisagran Mon 01-Mar-21 20:50:17

First of a three part series “The Story of Welsh Art” on BBC Four tonight at 9pm