Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have just received my census form and.....

(30 Posts)
M0nica Tue 02-Mar-21 12:02:03

I am left bemused that for a document that needs to be filled in by everyone, the leaflet being sent out can be guaranteed to exclude the poorest and most disadvantaged in society from completing it.

I have the purple leaflet being sent out. It looks very nice, nice clean design, good use of colour, use of typeface and spacing to make it easably readableBUT then we get to the text itself. The whole centre space of the leaflet is given to the hows and whys of the census, predicated on the basis that you will be filling it in online.

The back page is a help page, done all in bullet points and in a way that I think those that most need help will find it difficult to engage with. Who will need help, there will be a large group of older people - a group most likely to be elderly, infirm - totally unfamiliar with computer technology. Ther will be that group of poorer people, who may have a low level of educaton and struggle with reading, those whose English is not good, who have no access to a computer and do not use computers because they are an unaffordable luxury.

So many, so many for whom the text and presentation of help on this leaflet will be a challenge to understand, or to follow up because its presentation is so abrupt and poor.

sodapop Tue 02-Mar-21 12:07:38

That sounds like a real pain MOnica and as you say may prove difficult for some people.
We were fortunate here in France as they sent an English speaker to our house to help with the census forms in case we didn't understand. Obviously that's not possible in areas where several different languages are spoken.

kittylester Tue 02-Mar-21 12:22:53

There are teams of people who will do follow ups of forms not returned and send in help - pretty much like sodapop said.

Pittcity Tue 02-Mar-21 12:28:09

I am surprised that it says that you can fill it in at any time if you are confident that the makeup of your household won't change before 21st March. Who can guarantee that?

Chestnut Tue 02-Mar-21 15:32:56

Pittcity

I am surprised that it says that you can fill it in at any time if you are confident that the makeup of your household won't change before 21st March. Who can guarantee that?

I agree, the form should be completed on 22 March or very soon. It relates to one date only, 21st March. People move about, sometimes unexpectedly, and this could result in people being added twice.

Shandy57 Tue 02-Mar-21 15:35:40

I'd better get it out of the recycling, I just glanced at the front and it said the census is coming, I didn't realise that was it.

Rosie51 Tue 02-Mar-21 15:41:37

Oops mine went in the recycling about a week ago so is now in recycling heaven. Will I not get any further information about completing the census?

M0nica Tue 02-Mar-21 15:47:14

I appreciate people will b sent round. A friend was an enumerator at the last census.

But whether an enumerator comes round or not, why issue a leaflet like this that will frighten many people, when with a little thought and commonsense much of it could be avoided.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Mar-21 16:17:45

I was managing my area 10 years ago ( my god where has the time gone?- nice little retirement job though) ) and the areas with the worse returns were the poorer, more deprived areas. The enumerators had terrible difficulties getting access to some places, let alone any response from the folk. In a way it is very important to get these folk recorded for future reference by social services, local council, educationalists etc.

I suspect that the returns will be much poorer this time around.

NanaTuesday Tue 02-Mar-21 16:21:10

I worked on the 2011 Census & NOS do employ Census Officers to door knock on houses that have not completed the form . This is to ensure that yes is is filled out but also that if anyone has difficulty they get the help they need completing it .The same thing will happen 2021

NanaTuesday Tue 02-Mar-21 16:23:17

At the endow the day , this year unlike another most people will be in the same place ,don't you think .

Pittcity Tue 02-Mar-21 16:50:24

Those who think they've recycled it. It's not the little purple card but a white envelope addressed to the householder. This contains the web link and the code for the address.
They can send you another code. Just Google Census 2021.

Doodledog Tue 02-Mar-21 16:55:16

Pittcity

Those who think they've recycled it. It's not the little purple card but a white envelope addressed to the householder. This contains the web link and the code for the address.
They can send you another code. Just Google Census 2021.

Thanks for this. I tend to get rid of junk mail without opening it, and may well have recycled the census one.

Do you know if there is a chance that it hasn't arrived yet, as I don't know if I have recycled it or not?

EllanVannin Tue 02-Mar-21 17:01:27

This won't be filled in by everyone that's for sure grin What a farce !

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 17:06:01

Oh dear. I shall await the Welsh version with interest as it may be difficult to find the English translation as an after-thought.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 02-Mar-21 17:56:48

Mine came this morning, it does say on the front of the leaflet that if you want a paper copy of the census forms to contact them, so you don’t have to do it online.

grannypiper Tue 02-Mar-21 18:18:35

In the middle of a pandemic not a single person can be sure they will still be alive on the Census day.

Tangerine Tue 02-Mar-21 18:31:33

I think they do wish most people to complete the form online. However, you can request a paper form via telephone.

Chakotay Tue 02-Mar-21 18:35:27

kittylester

There are teams of people who will do follow ups of forms not returned and send in help - pretty much like sodapop said.

Yes but how will that work in lockdown, I assume everyone will have photo ID, but will they also be wearing a mask?, if so surely they would have to take that off so they can be identified, any one getting, close enough to me without a mask so I can compare them to their photo ID will be breaching social distancing guidelines as far as I am concerned, and unless I can check their ID thoroughly I shall not be answering questions at my door and certainly not allowing anyone in my home. Haven't had mine yet and will fill it in (paper version only) but there will be a lot of people thinking like me.

growstuff Tue 02-Mar-21 22:14:24

Why do people need to show ID? They don't have to prove their identity to fill in the form, although I think a signature is probably required by the person completing the information.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Mar-21 23:22:40

Do you know if there is a chance that it hasn't arrived yet, as I don't know if I have recycled it or not?

Ours just arrived today, Doodledog, so there’s every chance yours is still on its way.

Shandy57 Tue 02-Mar-21 23:43:33

I've just been through the recycling bin and found the tiny purple card stating the census pack will be sent on 21 March.

Hetty58 Wed 03-Mar-21 00:02:06

Mine came today. I completed the online questions - no big deal, as nobody will be staying in March - so all done and dusted!

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Mar-21 00:04:20

Every other census has had to be filled in on the actual day. It was a snap shot of where everyone in the country was on that day so you had to add any visitors that just happened to be in your house on census day.

I don't suppose that is a problem this time though as everyone has to stay put in there own home.

I've found previous censuses (censae, cenci) confused very useful when doing my family tree. I know that's not what they are for, but I do hope people complete them as a record for future generations.

Hetty58 Wed 03-Mar-21 00:14:55

grannypiper:

'not a single person can be sure they will still be alive' at any time, pandemic or not!

I could possibly be dead, but then, who cares - they can't fine me for giving false information, can they?