Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pritti Patel and bullying

(61 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 04-Mar-21 16:24:28

There is some good news occasionally. PP has reached a 6 figure settlement with the former permanent secretary in the Home Office. The FDA (civil servants union) is to continue pursuing other cases.

Aveline Thu 04-Mar-21 16:39:32

I suspect she was a much needed wind of change through a comfortably settled department so was bound to ruffle a few feathers.

Doodledog Thu 04-Mar-21 16:44:39

In what world can someone cost their employer a six figure sum because of their behaviour, and still keep their job?

AGAA4 Thu 04-Mar-21 16:50:05

She did more than ruffle feathers for that amount to be awarded.

eazybee Thu 04-Mar-21 16:54:08

In what world can someone cost their employer a six figure sum because of their behaviour, and still keep their job?

Probably because she achieved the desired result; there is an awful lot of dead wood there.

Urmstongran Thu 04-Mar-21 17:40:37

He was on a six figure salary anyway when he left. This award is probably 2 years pay in lieu.

Daisymae Thu 04-Mar-21 17:43:28

Nearly £400,000 of public money? This is not that way that organisations should act. A business would go bankrupt if they carried on in this manner. If there are issues then they should be dealt with according to law, policies and procedures. It is quite frankly an outrageous state of affairs.

growstuff Thu 04-Mar-21 18:12:54

eazybee

*In what world can someone cost their employer a six figure sum because of their behaviour, and still keep their job?*

Probably because she achieved the desired result; there is an awful lot of dead wood there.

Did you work amongst the upper echelons of the Home Office?

MaizieD Thu 04-Mar-21 18:14:25

I suspect she was a much needed wind of change through a comfortably settled department so was bound to ruffle a few feathers.

I assume that the posters making these comments have in depth knowledge of the workings of the Home Office and the Civil Service?

A six figure payoff seems like a lot of something being hidden to me. It's a real shame that he settled, though. It would have been illuminating for it to have gone public.

MaizieD Thu 04-Mar-21 18:15:11

Oh! SNAP!, *growstuff grin

Gwyneth Thu 04-Mar-21 18:20:38

eazybee look no further than your local council. Often Chief executives who leave their jobs for whatever reason are paid eye watering sums of money and no one is held responsible or any explantation given to the council tax payer. I know because I’ve tried to get answers but my requests for answers are just ignored and it just goes on.

vegansrock Thu 04-Mar-21 18:21:18

I wonder if those who defend PP would also defend the Duchess of Sussex, maybe she was trying to get rid of Palace “dead wood”, who knows, certainly not anyone spouting off on here. Ditto Nicole Sturgeon, hope they’ll be defending her too( won’t hold my breath).

Lucca Thu 04-Mar-21 18:25:51

Priti Patel, Tory, good.
Meghan, bad.
Nicola sturgeon, SNP, bad.

I believe that is how it works on GN ?!

grandmajet Thu 04-Mar-21 18:29:25

Strong women are often seen as bad and/or bullying.

growstuff Thu 04-Mar-21 18:31:17

Lucca

Priti Patel, Tory, good.
Meghan, bad.
Nicola sturgeon, SNP, bad.

I believe that is how it works on GN ?!

Oh, yes! Indeed it does! It's simple and doesn't require any sophistication of thought processes.

growstuff Thu 04-Mar-21 18:32:50

Gwyneth

eazybee look no further than your local council. Often Chief executives who leave their jobs for whatever reason are paid eye watering sums of money and no one is held responsible or any explantation given to the council tax payer. I know because I’ve tried to get answers but my requests for answers are just ignored and it just goes on.

Quite right! Any financial agreement would be subject to legal orders to protect all involved. Unless the law has been broken, it's none of your business.

Deedaa Thu 04-Mar-21 21:16:47

I should imagine she's an absolute cow to work for but that's the sort of woman who seems to appeal to Tory men. Shades of Nanny and Matron.

Casdon Thu 04-Mar-21 21:37:35

Surely bullying is indefensible whatever the circumstances, whoever it is doing it, and whatever your political allegiances are. It’s a clear sign of somebody who is out of their depth in their job/role, but whose ego won’t allow them to admit to having personal weaknesses. The cap does seem to fit for Priti Patel.

Gwyneth Thu 04-Mar-21 22:59:23

Actually growstuff when the tax payer is footing the bill and having to pay ever increasing council tax I think there is justification for knowing how our hard earned money is spent or wasted in many cases.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Mar-21 06:14:56

Those of you who defend Priti Patel and her bullying ways have obviously never worked with or for a bully.

There is no excuse for this behaviour.

MaizieD is right, it's a pity it was settled, however the personal stress of pursuing these actions (for the target of the bully and those who love them) is enormous. It can change even a strong person forever.

That Boris Johnson backs the bully is so, so sad - and a further punishment for those who speak up.

Parsley3 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:00:34

So, PP is a breath of fresh air because it is a good thing to bully a person out of their job? Why would anyone think that kind of behaviour is acceptable in any workplace. To blame the victim as he deserves it for being dead wood is an astonishing justification in this day and age.

NotSpaghetti Fri 05-Mar-21 12:58:08

So true Parsley

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 13:13:46

I don't know. Have you ever worked in a large organisation that's hide bound with ancient rules and regulations and, generally, everything done in certain ways because that's the way its always been done? Everyone has a safe job and pension. In comes someone from outside and with experience of the sharp end of business and industry. I'm pretty sure there would be an expectation of change and that it would all come as a shock. The 'Sir Humphreys' of this world (from Yes Minister) spring to mind.

Dinahmo Fri 05-Mar-21 14:17:06

Aveline I think that you're forgetting that the civil servant is several years younger than most of us and was probably a child in the days of Yes Minister.

In 1970 I worked for the Electricity Council and we were not allowed to wear trousers to work. Throughout my working life, until I left London we would regularly go to the pub at lunchtime. These are examples of how things used to be and are no longer. People in the state sector do have job security to a greater extent than those in the private sector but not to the extent that people had 40 or so years ago.

PP's behaviour strikes me as being somewhat out of date and it's time she was taken to task.

Parsley3 Fri 05-Mar-21 14:19:28

Does PP have experience of the sharp end of business? She worked in PR so she surely had some training in managing change if that was what she was trying to do.