Gransnet forums

News & politics

1% Payrise for NHS workers

(163 Posts)
seamstress Fri 05-Mar-21 08:32:57

I'd like to hear the Tory fans on here defending this - MPs get 10% or was it 11% ? How many billions on Test n Trace ?Not mentioned in the budget of course. A kick in the teeth in my opinion.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:34:27

Didn’t NHS workers get a 3% rise the one before this one? I remember reading about it in the papers.

Iam64 Fri 05-Mar-21 08:37:21

Absolutely agree with you seamstress.
I’m equally angry at the continued lack of progress in the social care - health care issues. I started work in social care in 1978, it was an issue needing resolution then. It’s become a bigger concern with every passing year.
Public services are not valued by this government

Lucca Fri 05-Mar-21 08:43:19

Urmstongran

Didn’t NHS workers get a 3% rise the one before this one? I remember reading about it in the papers.

Oh come on, surely not even the most hardened Tory voter could say that nurses for example are adequately paid

silverlining48 Fri 05-Mar-21 08:50:29

The 3% increase was after 10 years of no increase in wages at all. Imagine that ? 1% is an insult.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:51:18

Maybe just the 3 nurses I know then? Extra shifts. Bank agency work on top of retirement at 55y drawing down their private pensions?
?

silverlining48 Fri 05-Mar-21 08:54:33

Perhaps if your 3 friends were adequately paid on the first place there would be no need for extra shifts.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:56:21

I don’t have to imagine it. (No pay rise for years). I was working in the NHS when George Osborne intoduced his stupid austerity measures. My utility bills went up & my wages stayed static.

Nurses are surely in a good job. Good public sector pensions. I feel more sorry for furloughed workers right now who have only been getting 80% of their wages. Yes, okay, some (not all by any means) have saved on huge travelling expenses but let’s realise, quite a big number won’t have a job to return to this September.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 08:57:58

Nice try silverlining but no, they were (are) minted and loved volunteering for the extra shifts!

EkwaNimitee Fri 05-Mar-21 09:04:06

1% does seem an insult, given the past year of tremendously stressful work for all NHS workers. If they won't offer a bigger pay rise, why not special one off bonus. My son, who works in the City, gets one every year based on results and I reckon NHS people much more deserving . I know they can count on a decent pension but we are in crisis times.

seamstress Fri 05-Mar-21 09:04:06

Nurses are minted! Who knew. I wonder why there is a staff shortage then. All those poor furloughed workers sitting at home watching Netflix, they could have been earning a fortune working 12 hour shifts on a cover ward.

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 09:06:35

I think it is an astounding kick in the teeth for NHS workers who have sweated their guts out to save our feckless, corrupt and incompetent government from presiding over an even greater slaughter of UK citizens in the past year.

Never mind, tories are ahead in the polls. There are clearly more mean minded voters in the UK, like the example we've seen on this thread, than there are voters who value key workers and our NHS.

silverlining48 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:08:54

Minted? Nurses? Nice try!

Polarbear2 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:12:12

My guess? It gives them a chance to do a U turn and then everyone will think they’re fabulous. It’s game playing and we’re being played.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 09:12:24

I’m not a mean person. And I worked for the NHS in a hospital for over 35 years.

The shortage of nurses isn’t because of their salary. It’s because bursaries were removed by Gideon for training. University fees cost money. Many would be nurses can’t afford the fees.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 09:14:08

I read in the Guardian only a couple of months ago of a Spaniard who works over here. Has done for many years. He said the Spanish system - terms and conditions - is shit. His words. Look it up if you don’t believe me.

seamstress Fri 05-Mar-21 09:15:56

We aren't talking about Spain though are we? You could compare t and cs in Australia or Dubai.

Liz46 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:17:47

On the face of it 1% seems an insult but my daughter's salary was reduced by 10% last year as the company is struggling because of the pandemic. She is supporting two children with very little help from her ex. Bank of mum helps out.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 09:18:06

True, But shows it’s not rubbish here either.
I like EkwaNimitee’s suggestion better. A one-off COVID thank you. Even for those nurses who haven’t been on the wards or in ICU.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 09:19:33

There you go Liz46 point well made. Nurses have a secure income and good pensions. The private sector has been hit harder.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 05-Mar-21 09:25:57

I worked for the NHS all my working life, with a break for children, and I did get a (reduced) pension at 56 and worked on a bank basis until 60. My private pension is tiny, and I do not want to put private info on here, but you would be surprised how small it is. This is because wages throughout my working life were relatively low until my last few years of service.

The problems of Covid were exacerbated by the poor state of the NHS which had been starved of cash for years, and social care problems, which had been largely ignored. It is also becoming clear that years of austerity has left many people living in poverty, who have been disproportionately impacted by Covid.

The least that the government could do now is to rectify their mistakes by properly funding the NHS, sorting out Social Care, and paying health staff a fair wage for everything they have, and are still going through.

grandmajet Fri 05-Mar-21 09:29:13

Seamstress, MPs did not get a pay rise last year, they were strongly against it and it was turned down as inappropriate at this time.
Nhs workers do work very hard, but also do get good pay as well as other forms of support in their working life such as excellent holidays, paid paternity leave, support during sickness etc. It is right that they do so, but their position over the past year has been one of a secure well paid job compared to many whose lives have been turned upside down through no fault of their own.

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 09:35:53

It's disgusting. And it will actually probably be a pay cut, because inflation is due to rise to over 1% so they will feel no advantage at all. The amount of money spent on useless deals by this government could have been ploughed into the NHS. As for those supporting it, were you out clapping for the NHS? If so was it just a case of pretending for the neighbours? Do you really think a few claps adequately compensates anyone?

Grannybags Fri 05-Mar-21 09:36:50

grandmajet ??

They are the only Public Sector workers getting a pay increase

Grany Fri 05-Mar-21 09:37:08

30 billion has been taken out of the day to day running of the NHS Disgraceful
The NHS workers deserve a decent pay rise for all their hard work even more so with coping with this pandemic.

The NHS and its workers has been ignored in this austerity budget