Gransnet forums

News & politics

Northern Ireland is in more danger since Brexit

(131 Posts)
varian Wed 07-Apr-21 14:27:07

The Northern Ireland Justice Minister, Naomi Long of the Alliance Party, has expressed concern over the DUP meeting with a group representing loyalist paramilitaries to discuss opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol.

DUP leader Arlene Foster, deputy leader Nigel Dodds and East Belfast MP Gavin Robinson met on Thursday with the Loyalist Communities Council (LCC).

The group is an umbrella organisation representing the UVF, UDA and Red Hand Commando.

Mrs Foster defended the meeting, saying it was "important that all communities have a voice in the political process".

But Justice Minister Naomi Long responded: "Proscribed terrorist organisations are not a legitimate part of our community. They aren't stakeholders to be consulted."

"They are a malignant force destroying our community. Our job as ministers is to eradicate paramilitarism, not give them a platform or legitimacy," the Alliance Party leader said on Twitter.

Loyalists have voiced anger over Northern Ireland's post-Brexit arrangements under the protocol, which ensures an open border with the Republic of Ireland but means extra checks and processes on trade from Britain.

www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/justice-minister-naomi-long-reacts-19915745

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Apr-21 14:46:51

The BBC appears to be doing the governments work and ignoring the issue.

The loyalists have been rioting for 7 days without break, citing the Brexit agreement.

Project fear they all said.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 15:12:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 15:16:17

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Apr-21 15:22:00

That is what I understood nadateturbe and it’s is also how it has been reported in news items I have seen.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 15:28:39

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 15:29:44

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Apr-21 15:42:52

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a post that has since been deleted. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

varian Wed 07-Apr-21 15:51:01

It is appalling that the hard won peace achieved by the Good Friday Agreement has been put at risk because of Brexit- - which the majority in Northern Ireland rejected.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 07-Apr-21 15:55:02

Biden is being briefed. Can’t think that he will be very happy.

Shandy57 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:12:16

My daughter is in Ballymacarret in Belfast @nadaterturbe, I was very worried when I saw the news. I have been reading and reading to update myself - as you say it is very complicated.

kircubbin2000 Wed 07-Apr-21 16:20:24

My friends husband was to be cremated on the day of the IRA funeral. The crem
staff were sent home at lunch time and the gates shut. When she arrived the coffin was allowed in but not the family.

As for the rioting it seems to be a lot of children and teenagers who have no idea what they are fighting for. They are being encouraged by thugs and drug dealers behind the scenes. Most normal people want nothing to do with this. I don't think the police can cope.

growstuff Wed 07-Apr-21 16:51:33

There seem to be rumours that drug dealers have inflamed the rioting because their supply lines have been cut and other dealers, who receive their supplies from Eire, have moved in. No idea how much truth there is in that, but the rumours are rife on social media.

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 17:27:12

Jaxjacky Wed 07-Apr-21 17:41:57

nadateturbe my husband was born in Carrickfergus and still has family both there and in Belfast, it is indeed complex. They are doing what they’ve done for years, keeping their heads down and carrying on.

seamstress Wed 07-Apr-21 18:04:13

Of course the Brexit deal which treated NI differently adds fuel to the already simmering flames. It would be nigh on impossible to prosecute any one person or masses of people for the funeral which was months ago. How many mass prosecutions have there been for the gatherings we've seen all over the UK - protests and the like. A few fines maybe. The protesters themselves are breaking covid rules - which they are protesting about other people breaking.

kircubbin2000 Wed 07-Apr-21 18:24:49

Stephen Nolan, a radio presenter, has stirred up feelings by discussing the funeral for the last 8 or 9 months and interviewing the same bigoted politicians. He was challenged yesterday by a well spoken , intelligent listener about how he had inflamed things
in this way. Instead of answering the phone in Stephen hung up and the BBC have edited that clip from their site.

growstuff Wed 07-Apr-21 18:32:04

Was that the row about the number of times the TUV leader had been on his show?

nadateturbe Wed 07-Apr-21 20:21:08

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:57:52

I thought this a good post

“We had a United Kingdom to be proud of, we had a tolerant and welcoming society, we had peace in N Ireland. We had relative security and prosperity within the EU. We had freedom of movement. We abided by the rule of law. Then we had Brexit and Boris Johnson. Now we have chaos.”

Kate Wilton

MayBee70 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:00:02

How many of us asked ‘what about Ireland’ and were ignored? Because people didn’t care. There was so little (if any) mention of Ireland and Gibraltar during the referendum.

GillT57 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:10:40

The disregard of the Good Friday Agreement is hard to witness. Good people on all sides of the troubles, and people trying their very hardest to stop the bloodshed and hatred continuing for another generation, people like the late Mo Mowlam who had to hold their nose and sit at a table with people with blood on their hands in an effort to stop this self destruction. It is heartbreaking to see the efforts simply dismissed by the Johnson government, the sneering disrespect shown to people of all political persuasions such as Joh Major and Tony Blair who know what they are talking about. The GFA was about stopping the next generation being dragged in, and it is sad to see young teenagers being egged on by others to carry out violence. I don't pretend to have a full understanding of the Irish situation but some people do and they have been ignored.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:18:18

Brexit is, as was warned completely destabilising NI.

Peace will not be easily won this time unless the fundamental problem in the Brexit agreement is dealt with.

3nanny6 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:31:22

All through the Brexit negotiations Boris Johnson said many times that N. Ireland would be looked after and they would not suffer adverse reactions once the Brexit deal went through.
They haggled over the border situation for months and all they could say was they would put the border in the sea, how stupid.
The way they have dealt with the Good Friday Agreement, and the Peace Treaty that took over 30 years worked on to put an end to the troubles is being ripped apart and that is
the outcome that some of us who watched to see that N. Ireland would be treated well have had our fears confirmed.
My thoughts when watching were that Johnsons government
would sell the Northern Irish down the river and that is just what they have done. Lets look forward to another 30 years of violence and trouble.

Nightsky2 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:50:18

kircubbin2000

Stephen Nolan, a radio presenter, has stirred up feelings by discussing the funeral for the last 8 or 9 months and interviewing the same bigoted politicians. He was challenged yesterday by a well spoken , intelligent listener about how he had inflamed things
in this way. Instead of answering the phone in Stephen hung up and the BBC have edited that clip from their site.

Stephen Nolan is extremely opinionated. I listen to him on 5Live if I can’t get to sleep some nights. Hes’on the radio on Friday and Saturdays) so this must have been in NI.

Why don’t you phone in and challenge him and see what he’s got to say.