Gransnet forums

News & politics

First RHS, now National Rail

(66 Posts)
suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 16:33:09

This country is spiralling into a collective madness. NR charged its web site to greyscale because of Prince Philip’s death. This rendered it inaccessible to users with certain visual impairments. Really ? I mean really?

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 16:44:41

It's nobody's fault except for the dozy articles who should have known that certain colours aren't visible to the visibly impaired or disabled.
I call it lack of common sense nothing else.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 16:46:59

It’s utter madness to even begin to think that changing the colour on a website has got anything at all to do with showing respect - it’s not even as though he ever used it is it?

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Apr-21 16:50:40

I had a photo of Prince Philip with a message of condolence the other day.
I'm afraid I was so fed up I wrote back to them saying I was not a member of the Royal Family and would they please direct their condolences there.

What rubbish. Obviously some marketing hot-shot.?

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Apr-21 16:51:06

It was from Ocado!

Casdon Mon 12-Apr-21 16:56:58

The RHS isn’t in greyscale, I bought something from there yesterday and the website is in colour still?

Chestnut Mon 12-Apr-21 17:00:54

Because they are a Royal Warrant Holder, Waitrose sent the following message. It extended sympathy to the Queen, not the recipient of the e-mail.
As a Royal Warrant holder, Waitrose is deeply saddened by the death of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh and profoundly grateful for his extraordinary service to the nation over so many years. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to Her Majesty The Queen and The Royal Family.

Chestnut Mon 12-Apr-21 17:05:01

If NR is National Rail then the website hasn't changed. Its in colour. Are you sure it's not your computer? This is only 30 mins after the OP.

Jaxjacky Mon 12-Apr-21 17:07:21

NR and RHS fine now.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:08:16

Casdon

The RHS isn’t in greyscale, I bought something from there yesterday and the website is in colour still?

I never said it was - sorry if I appeared to imply that. My mention of RHS was about them throwing everyone out on Friday - part of the collective madness

Chestnut they had to change it back after complaints

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:09:14

Jaxjacky

NR and RHS fine now.

RHS wasn’t about their website - apologies for lack of clarity

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:13:30

Here’s the NR story
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/national-rail-remove-prince-philip-23898080

Bonkers

Chewbacca Mon 12-Apr-21 17:19:17

I'm a long time member of the RHS and so have just checked their log in page...... full colour front page of Spring daffodils and absolutely no mention whatsoever of Prince Philip, any member of the RF or any recent demise therein.
National Rail website in full colour of the royal blue livery colours and, again, no mention of Prince Philip, the RF or any deaths.

Maybe it isn't the country that's spiralling into madness.......hmm

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 17:38:05

Read the full thread and then come back and have a pop at me. It’s all of one page long

Chestnut Mon 12-Apr-21 18:06:13

Are there visual impairments that prevent you from seeing black and white? Colour blindness is another thing.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 18:07:11

Chestnut

Are there visual impairments that prevent you from seeing black and white? Colour blindness is another thing.

Yes

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 18:10:30

“Not only does it cause problems for those who need sufficient colour contrast, but it also interferes with tools and plugins many disabled people use to help make websites accessible."

From the link I’d posted if you’d read it. It’s nothing at all to do with colour blindness

Buffybee Mon 12-Apr-21 18:29:25

Chewbacca

I'm a long time member of the RHS and so have just checked their log in page...... full colour front page of Spring daffodils and absolutely no mention whatsoever of Prince Philip, any member of the RF or any recent demise therein.
National Rail website in full colour of the royal blue livery colours and, again, no mention of Prince Philip, the RF or any deaths.

Maybe it isn't the country that's spiralling into madness.......hmm

Hahaha!!

AmberSpyglass Mon 12-Apr-21 18:32:09

The NR change wouldn’t have been spontaneous - there will have been weeks if not months of meetings about it, if my experience is anything to go by. Which just makes it worse!

vegansrock Mon 12-Apr-21 22:05:59

RHS closed their gardens on Friday, chucking out all the visitors and are closing all day on Saturday, even though the funeral isn’t until 3 pm. PP said he didn’t want a fuss!

suziewoozie Mon 12-Apr-21 22:49:39

Buffy can you explain what you found so funny about a post that was completely ill informed about what was being discussed or are you another poster who thinks you can just join in rubbishing me?

vegansrock Tue 13-Apr-21 07:54:23

Yes, it does affect me as I was booked in at Wisley for Saturday at 9 am to meet an old friend who’s husband has recently died. it took ages waiting on their website to get a slot and I don’t know when we’ll get another one. Just had a curt email to say they were closing. I have complained. Was looking forward to a gentle walk around a peaceful garden.

vegansrock Tue 13-Apr-21 07:55:19

No reply to my complaint, and I am an RHS member.

grannysyb Tue 13-Apr-21 08:23:00

I too am a longstanding member of the RHS and had an email on Friday to say that they were closing the gardens. I thought it was a ridiculous thing to do, and it must have impacted on people who had a booking. I imagine Prince Philip would have been amazed at such a over reaction!

Oldbutstilluseful Tue 13-Apr-21 08:39:48

On reading we are in national mourning and not knowing what exactly this means, apart from flags flying half mast, I checked the government website. It says that all and any business, etc is able to close during this period if they wish to do so.

Thinking about the RHS, they have particularly close ties to the Royal Family and many of their staff must have met the Duke and felt they needed a day to mark their respect.

I know this doesn’t help those who were looking forward to a long awaited visit, for whatever reason, and I hope those with bookings will be given priority as soon as possible.