Gransnet forums

News & politics

Confused over Local Elections

(21 Posts)
GrandmaKT Thu 06-May-21 09:29:14

Are you voting today? I intend to, but at this 11th hour I am still totally befuddled.

I have no particular party loyalty and prefer to vote for the candidates on their own merits, reading the publicity etc.

We have candidates from: Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems, Independent and Green. I have had no literature and know nothing about the Labour or Green candidates. The local Lib Dem party are supporting the independent candidate and the Lib Dem candidate is standing against their wishes. The Tory candidate is not the incumbent and his leaflet tells me nothing (other than he will mend the potholes and fight the cycle lanes).

Added to this I am expected to vote for a City Regional Mayor and a Police Commissioner - neither of which I feel qualified to vote for as I cannot find any information.

Finally, although I live in the biggest town in my borough we never have any representation on the cabinet.

Yours, confused!

Kamiso Thu 06-May-21 09:55:24

We’ve had various flyers through the letter box as per usual and a booklet from the council setting out who is standing for whatever position.

Have always voted even when I know it’s a list cause. Occasionally the result comes as a surprise/shock!

annodomini Thu 06-May-21 10:40:42

The only election in this town is for the Police and Crime Commissioner. I knew nothing about any of the candidates, but nevertheless voted (by post) on party lines. I was tempted not to vote at all, but couldn't bring myself to break the habit of a lifetime.

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-May-21 10:40:45

We also have no info.
One Labour and one Tory leaflet - neither tell me anything I’d want to know.
I’ve spent some time online looking people up.
?‍♀️

MaizieD Thu 06-May-21 10:47:46

Well, I'm voting tribally because all the party leaflets say much the same thing, even to the extent of claiming to have successfully achieved the same projects grin

Jaxjacky Thu 06-May-21 11:29:14

We’ve had lots of information from candidates on local Facebook sites. One bit of sneakiness, a candidate who is listed as independent on all paperwork is actually UKIP. We’re voting for local authority, county and police/crime commissioner.

Galaxy Thu 06-May-21 11:31:17

Yes we have an independent who supports far right causes. I actually have come to the view that the word independent is utterly meaningless.

tanith Thu 06-May-21 12:02:42

I’ve voted along party lines too, up until yesterday I was going to break my habit of a lifetime and not bother but this morning I couldn’t not go. The older I get the more I feel same old same old whoever is voted in. My Dad would be appalled hearing me say that.

varian Thu 06-May-21 12:20:43

The Conservatives are asking for votes promising "more police and safer streets"

Voters should be reminded that they have cut 21,000 Police officers, 23,000 police support staff and closed 600 police stations.

keepingquiet Thu 06-May-21 12:45:25

I looked my candidates up on-line. None of them were women or from a minority so really not much choice between pale, male and stale. The whole system needs a shake-up but as a loony lefty I hope Labour does well- we need to send a message out there!

GrandmaKT Thu 06-May-21 16:13:55

I agree keepingquiet the local government system just is not inspiring (for candidates or voters I imagine!)

JaneJudge Thu 06-May-21 16:15:29

I forgot to post my postal vote, the one I'd complained about not being sent for heavens sake

Alegrias1 Thu 06-May-21 16:17:42

grin JaneJudge.

Can't you just take it to the polling station?

tanith Thu 06-May-21 16:21:06

JaneJudge run it to your polling station they will take it.

Pittcity Thu 06-May-21 16:22:01

Jane, you can take it to the polling station today.

I voted for different parties for different posts. For the present incumbent where they are doing a good job and against where they aren't after working out who came second last time.
We have 3 polls today, PCC, county council and borough council. I think the two tier system is broken and needs to be changed.

JaneJudge Thu 06-May-21 16:33:24

I've just taken it in, thank you x
Ours was only for the PCC but my Gran drummed it into me not to waste my vote smile

tanith Thu 06-May-21 17:15:12

??? nice one JJ

rubysong Thu 06-May-21 19:14:19

We went to vote this afternoon, in the village hall. I have a problem with the increased use of postal votes as I'm sure there are many cases of coercion. The polls are open for ages and most people are fit enough to go and vote.
I think it is a shame we have party politics in local elections. I did vote against my normal party preference as the candidate is a very good local Councillor and the candidate for 'my' party is useless.

JaneJudge Thu 06-May-21 19:58:42

rubysong

We went to vote this afternoon, in the village hall. I have a problem with the increased use of postal votes as I'm sure there are many cases of coercion. The polls are open for ages and most people are fit enough to go and vote.
I think it is a shame we have party politics in local elections. I did vote against my normal party preference as the candidate is a very good local Councillor and the candidate for 'my' party is useless.

I applied for a postal vote when I was a full time carer for my daughter who has a severe disability. I could not have taken her to the polling station. I think there are lots of reasons for needing a postal vote smile

GrannyRose15 Fri 07-May-21 21:51:04

Galaxy

Yes we have an independent who supports far right causes. I actually have come to the view that the word independent is utterly meaningless.

What it means is that they are not supported by any party. They can vote how they like on any issue. Important therefore to read what they stand for.

Anyone can stand as an independent. Some places have a loose association of "independents" but once again they will not follow any particular party line, or necessarily agree with each other about everything.

Pittcity Sat 08-May-21 10:04:30

We have recently moved and now two of the three local councillors for this part of town are Greens. As the control of the council hasn't changed from a coalition, I don't think anything will change locally.
The Conservative County Council will continue to ignore our potholes from afar!!

I voted for different parties in each of the 3 elections, going for the best person for the job. I agree with "rubysong" that party politics and locks issues don't mix. It looks like old party allegiances are falling by the wayside in a lot of places.