Gransnet forums

News & politics

Welsh Elections

(32 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 10:31:19

Not many Welsh voters here but for the few

Which way will Wales vote ?

Poppyred Fri 07-May-21 10:33:38

Labour as usual - never considering that they have got us absolutely nowhere in the last 22 years! ??

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 10:37:28

Will there be a coalition , if so who ?

Poppyred Fri 07-May-21 10:45:27

Labour and Plaid?

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 10:49:52

I thought that a possibility, wonder where Brecon and Radnor
will go, they had the sole Lib at the last election, she didn’t stand this time, perhaps to the Tories

Poppyred Fri 07-May-21 10:53:39

More than likely to the Tories.....

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 10:55:27

I think the same, it certainly is going Plaid

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 10:56:54

Anniebach

Will there be a coalition , if so who ?

Labour and Plaid coalition.

The number of parties for the regional vote, at 13, was just ludicrous and some must have overlapped in their aims, so that could well impact on the votes for the main parties resulting in no majority.

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 10:58:22

Monmouthshire will be interesting - the popular Tory was deselected and stood as an Independent.

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 11:12:11

I meant Brecon and Radnor certaintly isn’t going Plaid.

Yes Monmouth?

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 16:00:56

Conservatives taken Clywd ?, only by few 100 votes

Merthyr Labour hold - there’s a surprise ?

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 16:15:19

I’m glued to the TV this afternoon, the Merthyr result was interesting, Labour had an increased majority with votes gained from those who voted for Brexit last time, which bucked the national trend. I think the Tory gain in votes will be considerably less here than in England.

Unfortunately AnnieBach I do think the Tories will take Brecon and Radnor - so much of the vote for the Lib Dems here was about Kirsty herself, and as you know Labour have not got a cat in hell’s chance here.

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 16:34:50

I know Peter Fox Callistemon, and he’s highly thought of too, he’s been around for years in the Council - but I do see what you mean, the vote could be split, which would make Monmouthshire very interesting, as it’s the most Tory area in South Wales. I’ve seen that there’s a high turnout there too.

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 17:25:15

Casdon it is going as expected, if Merthyr had gone tory Starmer could race off to the job centre. Yes Brecon and Radnor will go tory now .

Labour for Clwyd south . Think interest now lays in Monmouth

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 17:51:14

I don’t think there was ever a doubt Merthyr wouldn’t be Labour, but the Tory share of the vote overall in Wales isn’t showing the same trend as England, and I thought the Brexit Party votes would go to the Tories in Wales too, which doesn’t seem to be the case? It’s going well for Labour here, against the trend.

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 18:05:04

It is Casdon the Brexit votes have returned to Labour,

BBbevan Fri 07-May-21 18:46:02

Labour I would think. I was very confused about the police commissioners, though as I knew none. It was a bit shut eyes and stab. With my own pencil of course .

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 19:08:05

Monmouth tory

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 20:30:26

Brecon and Radnor Tory as expected

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 20:37:19

I feel quite sad about it Anniebach, the last Lib Dem seat in Wales, and Kirsty Williams was an excellent constituency MS to be fair to her.

Callistemon Fri 07-May-21 20:47:07

I know Peter Fox Callistemon, and he’s highly thought of too, he’s been around for years in the Council

Yes, I think he is but I'm not sure that voters find Andrew R T Davies appealing, he comes over as an automaton.
I've been busy until now and can't look at the results now either, presumably he got in regardless.

Casdon Fri 07-May-21 20:57:29

I don’t think the Andrew RT seat has been declared yet, or if it has I missed it too.

Anniebach Fri 07-May-21 21:31:31

Casdon I too feel sad , Kirsty was a good MS and I like her very much . No Libs in Wales

Poppyred Sat 08-May-21 15:10:52

Isn’t it sad the poorest areas in Wales still vote Labour in time and time again..... with NOTHING ever getting any better.

Anniebach Sat 08-May-21 16:33:47

I think one has to live or have lived in the South Wales valleys to understand why