Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you as proud as Raab?

(18 Posts)
Sarnia Wed 12-May-21 16:11:54

Sometimes you have to read things more than once.
Dominic Raab says the UK must 'take pride' in agreeing to allow Radovan Karadzic to serve the rest of his sentence in this country. Of course we do, Dominic. He's a lovely man.angry

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 16:20:17

Have you a link please?

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 16:23:43

Raab actually said:

“We should take pride in the fact that from UK support to secure his arrest, to the prison cell he now faces, Britain has supported the 30-year pursuit of justice for these heinous crimes.”

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-May-21 16:25:17

Thank you Callistemon

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 16:27:56

If I posted what I think should happen to him I would probably be banned.
But yes, we should be proud that we helped to bring this monster to justice.

Sarnia Wed 12-May-21 16:27:59

Callistemon

Raab actually said:

“We should take pride in the fact that from UK support to secure his arrest, to the prison cell he now faces, Britain has supported the 30-year pursuit of justice for these heinous crimes.”

What's the reason why he is finishing his sentence here?

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 16:28:36

I have no idea.

I will not post more, sorry.

Sarnia Wed 12-May-21 16:33:38

Callistemon

I have no idea.

I will not post more, sorry.

No criticism to you or need for an apology and I agree whatever was needed to make him face justice for his awful crimes is right but I just wondered why he is coming here? I thought he was festering away somewhere so I was very surprised to read Raab's statement.

keepingquiet Wed 12-May-21 16:39:16

I thought he was tried in the Netherlands? No idea who decided where he should spent his sentence.

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 16:47:09

Sarnia nothing at all to do with you or your posts.
smile

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 16:52:26

Rather like we took the monster Charles Taylor, another cop out by the Netherlands, they would try him in in The Hague, as long as he was imprisoned in another country if found guilty.

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 08:44:49

Callistemon
Let’s hope they house him in Belmarsh. That should put the fear of god in him. www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/12/radovan-karadzic-to-serve-rest-of-sentence-in-british-prison

Callistemon Thu 13-May-21 09:30:34

Good idea, Chewbacca.

Callistemon Thu 13-May-21 09:33:47

Sorry, MerylStreep ?

Senior moment. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen Chewbacca posting much lately.
Duh!
I need more ☕

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 09:41:57

This was in the Telegraph:
The UN's International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals confirmed that it had asked Britain to "enforce the sentence of Karadzic".

It also requested that "all necessary measures" be taken "to facilitate Karadzic's transfer to the United Kingdom as expeditiously as possible".

The reason we will have him is because those people sentenced by The Hague are "shared about" the UN. We agreed to have him in a 2004 deal between the UN, The Hague and Raab when he was in post there.

We are simply taking our turn regarding the imprisonment of people who have committed the most heinous crimes.

MerylStreep Thu 13-May-21 13:11:56

Callistemon
That’s ok. I don’t mind being confused with chewy ?

lemongrove Thu 13-May-21 13:20:53

Thanks NotSpag I was about to post that, because it needed saying. If the OP had bothered to find that out first, instead of
Starting yet another jibe about something a Conservative Minister says or writes, it would save time and outrage.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 15:54:54

Lin52 it's not another cop out by the Netherlands. It's an international agreement.