Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meanwhile, in Scotland....

(221 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 08:36:19

We had a by-election. SNP won, Labour second, Tory third.

The new MSPs were sworn in and they used 13 different languages in their oaths.

People in Glasgow stood in the street surrounding a Home Office van trying to deport so called "illegals". And they did stop them. One man lay down under the van.

And we've been surge testing and giving vaccines to all adults in Moray, where the hotspot looks like stabilising.

Another day in paradise....?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-May-21 08:38:54

I was incredibly impressed by the Glaswegians. What a sense of community and rejection of the Home Office and its Nazi style dawn raids.

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 08:42:02

Whatever floats your boat. I thought the scenes in Glasgow were a disgrace. It reminded me of the flight, pre-pandemic where passengers managed to stop the deportation of a murderous criminal. We either have laws or we may as well have none.

Aveline Fri 14-May-21 08:56:14

The 16 year old voters are still waiting for the free bikes and laptops promised before the election. I suspect they'll go the way of all the promises made by SNP at the last election.
Paradise? Tell that to the families of all the drug users who died as Nicola cut the rehab budget and closed down support places.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-May-21 08:59:40

McVities is moving from Glasgow to South of the border, I wonder how many people will lose their jobs?

EllanVannin Fri 14-May-21 09:05:10

No worse than the unholy racket the police make when on their drug-busting do's at unearthly times in a morning, breaking down doors ? A noise that would waken the dead. Now that is uncalled for. " Nazi style dawn raids. Indeed !

Same form of treatment isn't it ? Or isn't that your style ?

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 09:09:26

Oh yes, sorry, no good news stories allowed.....

Glaswegians are generally very supportive of asylum seekers WWM2 and generally, nobody argues with a Glaswegian wink

I can't tell you how good it was to watch everybody making their oaths yesterday, including the first Sikh MSP and the MSP who did hers in BSL!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-May-21 09:11:41

Alegrias1

Oh yes, sorry, no good news stories allowed.....

Glaswegians are generally very supportive of asylum seekers WWM2 and generally, nobody argues with a Glaswegian wink

I can't tell you how good it was to watch everybody making their oaths yesterday, including the first Sikh MSP and the MSP who did hers in BSL!

Well good on them I say. It is uplifting to see such support of a fellow human being in trouble.

AmberSpyglass Fri 14-May-21 09:11:46

I’m not in Glasgow but I’m very proud of my country this morning, and all my friends and their kids who were down in Pollokshields protesting yesterday.

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 09:15:10

One man positioned himself under the Home Office van to prevent it from being driven off, while chants of "Leave our neighbours, let them go" and "Cops go home" rang out at the scene.

Shocking scenes. The Police has to give in to mob rule. “... no one messes with a Glaswegian”. Oh dear. I don’t think that’s anything to be proud of. Sorry. It sounds like The Wild West - poor sheriff!

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 09:15:29

Urmstongran

Whatever floats your boat. I thought the scenes in Glasgow were a disgrace. It reminded me of the flight, pre-pandemic where passengers managed to stop the deportation of a murderous criminal. We either have laws or we may as well have none.

Exactly.
If citizens can decide who goes and who stays here without the right immigration status then we may just as well give up here and now.
I read that the men concerned were from India...there are legal ways for Indian citizens to apply to come and live here and very many do exactly that.
If you want a country where any amount of illegal immigrants
Slip through then I guess you would call it ‘Paradise’.
Surprising though, because you have no idea if anyone who comes into the country that way has a criminal record, apart from anything else.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 09:22:36

Keep digging ladies..... ??

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 09:24:20

I’m not digging. Just politely disagreeing Alegrias.

Lin52 Fri 14-May-21 09:26:42

Yes they must feel as self righteous as the young woman who stopped a serial rapist from being deported. Disgraceful scenes, as any other country we have immigration rules, most Indians can come here legally, so one wonders why they are illegal.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 09:29:00

They're not flipping illegal.

People are not illegal.

If we don't challenge laws we believe to be unjust, well next thing it will be ID cards for all......

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 09:32:53

Do you know what ‘digging’ means Aleg ? Because this isn’t it. This is posters disagreeing that people in the street should be able to stop either police or immigration officials from doing their jobs.The two men may have been released later depending on their case, but just as rough justice in the form of mob rule cannot be allowed, neither can misplaced kindness.We either have immigration rules or we don’t.
What country btw doesn’t have them?

JenniferEccles Fri 14-May-21 09:34:50

The scenes were indeed shameful. Did any of the protesters bother to find out why the immigrants were being deported.

The sooner the authorities can crack down on disruptive demonstrations like this the better.

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 09:35:31

If Scotland becomes independent, they can allow all and sundry, no need to investigate anyone who traipses in if they so wish.Until that time, Scotland is part of the UK and has to abide by it’s immigration rules.

Kamiso Fri 14-May-21 09:36:42

Urmstongran

I’m not digging. Just politely disagreeing Alegrias.

Rule No One on GN. Do not disagree with any of the nonsense spouted by Algerias. She gets shirty!

As long as the mob rule is contained in Scotland and doesn’t spill over the border!

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 09:37:13

Hopefully.
Our immigration statistics are shot.

The Home Office said in a press release today that EU citizens registering for residency are at 5.9 million people (yay! There is much to celebrate here in the UK - people obviously want to live here even post Brexit!) but it demonstrates the lack of accountancy - the HO thought 3 million EU people were living here.

Numbers need to be logged. It’s how we provide enough council services for everybody’s needs. Surely a good thing?

dragonfly46 Fri 14-May-21 09:38:06

And your point being Aleg. What is wrong with having ID cards? I lived with them for 18 years in the Netherlands and they solved more problems than they created.
If you have nothing to hide I cannot see why you object.

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 09:38:53

Hopefully meant in Yes for ID cards.

Urmstongran Fri 14-May-21 09:39:36

Me neither dragonfly. We carry ours in Spain. No problema.

Alegrias1 Fri 14-May-21 09:41:14

Do I know what digging means....erm, yes confused

Digging a hole that shows you don't really understand the situation.

The two men were taken from their homes in a dawn raid and were planned to be removed from the community in which they had been living. The Home Office thinks that these tactics are appropriate because they can be used to remove people before their appeals process has run its full course, and help deny them access to the legal support that could help them.

Well we're not having it. Remove people if they are here illegally, fine, but don't try to use terror tactics to do it. We'll fight back.

Anyway. 13 languages in Parliament, isn't that good?

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 09:41:45

I am curious about the 13 languages that MSP’s used in their oaths ( and why?) surely English and Gaelic are spoken by all.
List them for us...?