Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nightmare for Cornwall

(188 Posts)
MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 08:24:59

As if the losses to the hospitality industry weren’t enough to cope with and lockdown has meant “staycations” if you are lucky enough to get a break at all, pity the poor residents of this corner of Cornwall.
A “ring of steel” has been thrown around Cornwall for the G7 summit, with the Royal Navy watching for threats from the air, including drones, as 11,000 police officers and 150 sniffer dogs attempt to protect world leaders.
With the three-day meeting in Carbis Bay starting tomorrow, Devon and Cornwall Police have called in wide-ranging support from the Ministry of Defence.
Naval vessels, aircraft, sniffer dogs, logistics support facilities and bomb disposal teams will all be on standby.
My neighbour (and friend’s) son has been sent down for the duration as he is in charge of the Paramedic/Ambulance services and is not looking forward to it one bit.
They’ll be ready for a holiday when it is over.

MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 08:44:21

Just read this- hmm, not impressed. I should have thought vaccinating all the support and emergency services was a priority, PLUS , although nobody has mentioned them, the staff at the hotels involved and their families and contacts.
Around 11,000 police officers will be on duty, although concerns have been raised over thousands of unvaccinated officers gathering and potentially spreading the Indian variant.
John Apter, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, said yesterday that officers felt “betrayed” over the Government decision not to prioritise officers for vaccines.
He told delegates at the federation’s annual conference: “We have thousands of colleagues from all over the country coming together to police the G7 summit, officers from where the Indian variant is thriving, young officers who, by age alone, will not have been vaccinated. How can that be right?”

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 08:48:50

While I think the whole idea is pretty stupid during a pandemic, on the above points MawBe I might just have to disagree with you.
It is only for a short period of time, local businesses are profiting and Devon & Cornwall police are well prepared and pretty efficient on their patch with the help of the special services and MoD and other services. As for the residents, most of them appear bemused but accepting. At the moment it is probably the safest place in the world!

Tizliz Thu 10-Jun-21 08:49:12

What about environmental issues? Why can’t they use video conferencing ? I despair about the ability of politicians to think

Lucca Thu 10-Jun-21 08:51:44

I’m afraid I look at it from a very simplistic view. Why have people travelling from far afield while the pandemic is still flourishing? But yes the vaccination thing is particularly wrong.

JenniferEccles Thu 10-Jun-21 08:58:42

On the plus side though the G7 summit will showcase Cornwall to the whole world won’t it?

Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the country, relying heavily on its tourist industry so a few days disruption is nothing compared with the future potential benefits.

It’s a case of looking at the long term prospects.

FannyCornforth Thu 10-Jun-21 08:59:34

It is ridiculous
I honestly can't see how it can be justified

annodomini Thu 10-Jun-21 09:12:32

I hope all the delegates are required to take tests before and during their stay in Cornwall.

Jaxjacky Thu 10-Jun-21 09:13:03

I assume all the G7 attendees with their entourages have been fully vaccinated too along with all the suppliers, back room staff, press and so on. I wonder if there’s a specific vaccine passport in use along with the necessary security badge.

Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 09:17:09

And Johnson travelled to Cornwall by plane! How ridiculous is that - to talk about climate change!

FannyCornforth Thu 10-Jun-21 09:17:57

And there is only one hospital in the entire county!

Urmstongran Thu 10-Jun-21 09:38:13

Pity this 'ring of steel' hasn't been moved further up the coast near Dover.

MawBe Thu 10-Jun-21 09:49:23

I disagree Ellianne
Businesses, hotels, pubs and shops will see their footfall drastically reduced. Parking even for residents will be restricted and the likes of Air BnB will be unable to take bookings because of security restrictions. Locals may be bemused, but after the year they have had, can hotels, pubs, and shops afford* to lose a sizeable tranche of their business?
From the same article
However, the summit preparations, with road closures and other restrictions, have left some locals unimpressed.
It shouldn’t have been done now because of Covid and they should have just held it on Zoom and done it that way,” said Susan Mountain, selling wetsuits on the beach front
^ “At this time of year, it’s going to be a great disruption to locals and holidaymakers,” she told Sky News^
And as for local support and emergency services? My friends son is based at Poole Hospital , but being transferred to Cornwall to head up the Ambulance services.
Yes it may be the safest place in the country, but at what cost? .

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 10-Jun-21 09:53:19

Can’t understand why this has had to happen at all, and in St. Ives!!!!
It’s up there with all the holidays ?.
We are in a world wide pandemic aren’t we? Or have I just been dreaming?

trisher Thu 10-Jun-21 09:58:40

It is ridiculous that while advice to others is, work from home if you can, this event is moving so many people into such a small area. And yes there may be a financial benefit for a short time that will be completely wiped out if a third wave results and everything is closed again.

Ellianne Thu 10-Jun-21 10:00:32

Have you been watching South West news this week MawBe? All local accommodation for the G7 was fully booked ages ago, one b&b owner was saying only one of her rooms has actually turned up, so she is more than happy. They do that to stop other people going (security), so all good for business in a strange way.
There was also a small Cornish natural soap shop there packing up boxes after boxes to send to the states. They said they were having to employ more staff because the demand had gone crazy worldwide.
Showcasing Cornwall is a positive move as is seen in these few examples.
The lady in your quote is correct, the covid issue is a different matter.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:04:37

Hopefully they'll try not to abuse their power...oh hang on...

MaizieD Thu 10-Jun-21 10:04:43

It's a bit nimbyish, isn't it? International summits happen all over the world and whichever place is chosen as a venue will experience the same disruption. Why should Cornwall be any different?

Deedaa Thu 10-Jun-21 10:10:23

Roa.ds are a nightmare in Cornwall in the summer, the slightest thing causes tailbacks. Why Johnson thought this was a good idea is beyond me. Cornwall doesn't really need showcasing, it's having more visitors than usual at the moment anyway. The financial benefit (if any) will not make up for the inconvenience caused to the people who live there 365 days a year.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:16:44

???

Miranda Green

As I was going to St Ives,
I met a man with several wives and an undisclosed number of children

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:18:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

25Avalon Thu 10-Jun-21 10:18:39

Devon and Cornwall Police are well prepared. A giant cruise ship that can take 1,000 passengers has been moored off Falmouth to help accommodate the extra police and emergency police required. So there may not be many young unvaccinated officers will be mingling.

There is only one main hospital in Cornwall it’s true in Truro but there is also Derriford hospital in Plymouth, and the air ambulance is pretty good. Not that far to get to Musgrove Park and large Bristol hospitals in the event of a major incident which hopefully is unlikely. It will all have been planed for.
The hotels etc and the hospitality business will be glad to be full and use local suppliers - good for the fishermen who’ve had a lean time. Cornwall relies on tourism so as Elliane rightly says showcasing is valuable.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Jun-21 10:19:13

oh dear I'll most probably get chastised for that foul comment, so in advance I will say it was reference to all the cats in sacks wink

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 10-Jun-21 10:28:22

Devon and Cornwall Police are well prepared!!

You have to be joking, 11000 police shipped in from all over the Country, plus Ambulances, A30 to be closed as and when they deem it necessary.
Police staying off shore in a ship, so no spending in local shops.
Local roads closed
Thousands of holiday makers down there anyway on roads that are now closed, so trying to find detours around narrow lanes.
Meanwhile local people still have to get their children to school, go shopping through traffic that is bad anyway in the Summer.

Discussing Climate Change and Boris takes a plane down there.

You couldn’t make it up.

muse Thu 10-Jun-21 10:28:56

FannyCornforth

And there is only one hospital in the entire county!

We have quite a few hospitals here in Cornwall but only one with an ICU.