Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nick Watts

(53 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 11:23:14

The video showing him being pursued and harangued by a mob of anti- lockdown ears is an utter disgrace.

On line radicalisation is to blame, and what happens when critics are trashed, lies are believed and scapegoating is widespread.

This can’t continue.

Imo the police who watched it taking place need to rethink their strategy.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 11:32:42

Ears!!??? that should read “bods.”

Ilovecheese Tue 15-Jun-21 14:12:08

Just saw this video. I don't really understand why they are abusing him though. I see they don't agree with lock downs but what has Nick Watt got to do with it?

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 17:47:48

Ilovecheese

Just saw this video. I don't really understand why they are abusing him though. I see they don't agree with lock downs but what has Nick Watt got to do with it?

He's the editor of Newsnight and the BBC apparently supports lockdowns.

I had to laugh when I read some of the Twitter comments. Somebody called "Bex" with a stereotypical QAnon/libertarian/right wing (why do they always claim to love animals?) profile, posted the link to the video. A group of people piled in supporting it with all the standard libertarian slogans, then they admitted they hadn't a clue who Nick Watt is.

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 17:48:32

And why are they invariably holding a can of alcohol?

Ilovecheese Tue 15-Jun-21 17:50:03

So I wasn't alone in not knowing who he was!

ExD Tue 15-Jun-21 17:51:58

If the lockdown is lifted and we get a third wave - who will be blamed for "opening up too soon"?
Its a loose loose situation.

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 17:55:24

ExD

If the lockdown is lifted and we get a third wave - who will be blamed for "opening up too soon"?
Its a loose loose situation.

Whatever happens with lockdown, it won't have been Nick Watt's decision. He's a reporter and reports what is happening.

Newsnight is one of the few TV programmes I watch, which is why I knew who he is. Sometimes, he does interviews and, in my opinion, is always factual and analyses situations in a balanced way.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:46:46

Nice chap Nick Watts

Welshwife Tue 15-Jun-21 18:52:59

I was horrified the police did nothing and he had to get behind the Downing Street barriers to be safe. No attempt by any police to slow or stop the mob - what would they have done if he had not been so nifty on his feet and they attacked him?

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 18:53:53

Correction: he's the political editor of Newsnight.

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 18:59:50

It's also been reported that one of the mob abused Andy Bell, Channel 5's Political Editor by shouting "vaccination is mass experimentation" followed by "you can stick your new world order up your a**e" and finally called him a paedo".

Lucca Tue 15-Jun-21 19:06:32

growstuff

It's also been reported that one of the mob abused Andy Bell, Channel 5's Political Editor by shouting "vaccination is mass experimentation" followed by "you can stick your new world order up your a**e" and finally called him a paedo".

Such rapier like wit and repartee

growstuff Tue 15-Jun-21 20:07:59

Indeed! Nick Watt was called a c**t. They can't even think of a gender appropriate insult.

Savvy Tue 15-Jun-21 20:24:26

It makes no difference if he is the political editor, presenter, or reporter, or who he works for, the fact is that he isn't a politician, and even if he was, its no way to get your point across.

The police should have acted to stop it. Imo they are as much to blame as the baying mob. It is the job of the police to protect.

N.b. I don't have a television, so I had never heard of him either.

Alegrias1 Tue 15-Jun-21 20:26:41

The police are in no way to blame, only the baying mob are to blame.

MaizieD Tue 15-Jun-21 20:32:00

No comments from the righthand side of the forum?

timetogo2016 Tue 15-Jun-21 20:47:34

So the idiots are so annoyed with the new lenth of lockdown they forget their masks but not the cans of beer and go close to someone ranting and raviving in his face.
Twa.s spring to mind.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Jun-21 21:01:11

Baying mobs, whatever their political persuasion are usually either at the end of their tether or have been egged-on .

Bristol, London, etc all trying to have their voices heard.

Alegrias1 Tue 15-Jun-21 21:03:26

Have you seen the video GG13?

(I'm stalking you from the other thread grin )

Stormystar Tue 15-Jun-21 21:09:39

We’re experiencing increasingly untenable attacks on freedom of thought and expression. The normalisation of demonising and silencing journalists , and all those who hold differing perspectives and opinions. 1984 was baby food

Galaxy Tue 15-Jun-21 21:15:05

The attacks on the press come from both sides if the political spectrum in my view.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Jun-21 21:18:35

Alegrias1

Have you seen the video GG13?

(I'm stalking you from the other thread grin )

Yes I saw it on Twitter earlier.

In my opinion multiple lockdowns combined with Brexit has polarised and marginalised so many folks that frustration is boiling over. I hope I am wrong but I envisage a perfect storm in the making and I fear it could be very ugly

maddyone Tue 15-Jun-21 21:33:22

Alegrias1

The police are in no way to blame, only the baying mob are to blame.

Yes, absolutely. I haven’t even seen the video, but from the descriptions on this thread, it sounds quite awful. The baying mob are certainly to blame for their own behaviour, not the police.

PippaZ Tue 15-Jun-21 21:42:28

From twitter: I'm not sure about the reference to "bogus 'solidarity'"