Gransnet forums

News & politics

Next CEO of NHS

(60 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:45:35

Well there we have it.

Dido Harding applied for job.

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 16:48:43

I'm very glad that Scotland has its own NHS then!

Alegrias1 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:49:31

That's exactly what I thought Grandmabatty blush

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:51:37

Maybe she won’t get it?

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:56:25

Oh lord!
SURELY NOT!

Romola Thu 17-Jun-21 17:08:43

Well I suppose she's entitled to apply. But I should think (hope) the government is becoming sensitive to accusations of chumocracy. Test and Trace was in more than one respect an egregious example.
I'd be surprised if she got this job.

hazel93 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:18:09

Please not !
Woman is a total disaster.
I wouldn't let her take care of my cats let alone take care of a position so essential to our welfare.

Dinahmo Thu 17-Jun-21 18:11:01

The woman who presided over Talk Talk when it suffered a disastrous cyber attack resulting in over 100,000 clients leaving and a substantial drip in the share price.

Gwyneth Thu 17-Jun-21 18:16:07

If she does get the job it will be a disgrace on her past record.

Kali2 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:23:51

OK I am going to swear FFS!

PippaZ Thu 17-Jun-21 18:42:21

I had an email from the NCP today advertising their Webinar titled Who Cares? The Future of Health & Care, which I thought you might like to share.
There is a press release about it here

This is from the press release:

World leading health care expert Professor Sir Michael Marmot will join Johnbosco Nwogbo of public services watchdog We Own It, and Tracey Jarrett of Lewisham Pensioners’ Forum for the third in the National Pensioners’ Convention webinar series this June.

The speakers will give presentations on the state of the UK health and care system in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, and provide their views on the government’s new NHS Health and Care Bill. They will also discuss what the continuing delay in the government’s much vaunted social care reform means for an already creaking sector.

Jan Shortt, NPC General Secretary, and Chair of the webinar, said: “This is a very important discussion for our members, who genuinely fear what the government is planning for the NHS and our social care system.

“Despite government promises that the new Bill - and their long-awaited social care reform - will integrate and transform both services for the better, the NPC has serious concerns about what is being proposed.

“There are clear signs that, despite their denials they are preparing to sell off NHS services to the private sector and to US investors. With fewer tendering checks in place as proposed in the new Bill, what is there to stop them?

“We will hear from three speakers who understand the implications for us all in these proposals. I hope as many people as possible register for the event to listen to what they have to say, as it is vitally important to us all!"

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:51:01

That is what she will be employed to oversee.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:53:38

A Tory with integrity

varian Thu 17-Jun-21 19:05:31

John Major, when asked what he would like to drink , used to reply ABC (anything but Chardonnay)

I think his answer to the question "who should run the NHS?" might be ABD (anyone but Dido)

PippaZ Thu 17-Jun-21 19:09:49

Whitewavemark2

That is what she will be employed to oversee.

That was my thinking too.

Sarnia Thu 17-Jun-21 19:33:26

Talk Talk, Test and Trace, all absolute disasters on her watch. Seems she has the right credentials for the job.

westendgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 09:13:59

Why does she think she could do it ?
Anything to do with the fact that her husband is a member of the 1828 group which wants the NHS to be replaced by Private insurance and for Public Health England to be scrapped?.I supposed you could say that handing over so much to private companies while running Test and Trace would be a good experience .

katy1950 Sun 20-Jun-21 10:35:04

Surly her track record will be enough for her not to get the job if she does then I'm afraid we are doomed

Baggs Sun 20-Jun-21 10:39:28

Is it the government that employs (approves? has the final say about?) the CEO of the NHS, or does the NHS (England and Wales) have an independent governing body?

Mollygo Sun 20-Jun-21 10:40:30

Where have I been? I thought her first name was a nickname and had an l in it.
Either way, she should not get the job.

Midwifebi6 Sun 20-Jun-21 10:42:30

My husband has put his name forward he has worked in the NHS for 42 years so he has a good idea of what the NHS needs.
Mind you we will not be surprised the job goes to someone who does not have a clue, that’s the normal line of direction.

Applegran Sun 20-Jun-21 11:02:05

If they give the job to Dido Harding, what hope have we of a government which asks 'who can do this job well?' rather than "which of our friends would like to do this job?' The tragedy is that this is just one of so many worrying things - lets hope this one doesn't happen. Did you know that the government is trying to change the law so that the Electoral Commission has fewer powers to highlight and investigate politicians who do wrong? I haven't got the details, but what is happening to our democracy?

pen50 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:02:43

My partner inserts an extra "L" into her first name...

Dylant1234 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:07:38

Corruption. Simples. I do wonder what she has on them though - she was at uni with them wasn’t she?!?!?!

Dinahmo Sun 20-Jun-21 11:16:34

Dylant1234

Corruption. Simples. I do wonder what she has on them though - she was at uni with them wasn’t she?!?!?!

Friends with benefits?