Gransnet forums

News & politics

John Bercow has joined Labour - wow

(324 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 19:49:50

So wish others would come off that sinking ship.

Would love Dominic Grieve to join Lib Dems.

Riverwalk Sat 19-Jun-21 19:53:21

What sinking ship?

M0nica Sat 19-Jun-21 19:54:51

They are welcome to him. He should fit into the party very well. Perhaps he is hoping to be the next leader!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 19:55:07

I think that he simply reflects what is happening to Tory support, and why we saw the Amersham result.

The middle class and educated are beginning to no longer recognise the Tory party as a political party that they can identify with, for all the reasons that have been aired.

Riverwalk Sat 19-Jun-21 19:56:05

Stinking maybe, but the Tories are far from sinking.

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:00:20

it has begun- slow at first, but like any big ship, very past past a certain point.

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 20:04:51

He always was!

He does like the limelight, perhaps he thought everyone had forgotten him.

He was correct.

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:05:00

“I think what it [the byelection result] tells us is that there is very considerable distrust on the part of voters in the south of England of this government. I don’t accept the thesis that this was just an anti-HS2 vote. I think that is very convenient for the government, but it suffers from the disadvantage of being wrong. I think people in very large numbers are disappointed, in some cases disgusted, by what this government has done.”

I am sure he is right. As said, when it starts to all unravel, it should happen very fast. You don't need to believe me- just watch.

LauraNorder Sat 19-Jun-21 20:05:13

Well Whitewavemark2 you don’t speak for this middle class, well educated Tory.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:08:48

LauraNorder

Well Whitewavemark2 you don’t speak for this middle class, well educated Tory.

I’m simply quoting the various reports that I am reading, shame to make it such a personal remark, it does degrade the debate.

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:17:16

In an explosive interview with the Observer, Bercow says he regards today’s Conservative party as “reactionary, populist, nationalistic and sometimes even xenophobic”.

How can well educated middle-class people accept this? If they do, then, what can I say, they are part and parcel of this.

Mamardoit Sat 19-Jun-21 20:17:16

Well he's certainly the Billy-no-mates of the tory party. I bet he's seething not to be in the House of Lords. Let's hope he's one that doesn't get his nose in the trough.

No job at the EU either. Bit of a shame given how much they love him.

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:17:51

Venom pouring out.

Mamardoit Sat 19-Jun-21 20:23:26

Par for the course on theses threads surely.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Jun-21 20:26:06

You don't need to believe me- just watch.

I don't. So I will.

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:33:37

Mamardoit

Par for the course on theses threads surely.

Personal remarks do degrade the debate- and there is no need for venom, ever.

25Avalon Sat 19-Jun-21 20:41:39

Good riddance. Labour is welcome.

kittylester Sat 19-Jun-21 20:41:52

Was John Bercow Tory then?? Didn't realise that°

eazybee Sat 19-Jun-21 20:42:13

The people of Amersham are driven by pure self-interest; they resent the effect HS2 and the building of new homes will have upon their local environment. Let other parts of the country deal with overcrowding and disruption to the countryside; not them. Nimbys.
As to Bercow; why has it taken him so long? He always was Labour at heart.

25Avalon Sat 19-Jun-21 20:43:53

Not for nothing was he called the poison dwarf. Be careful Labour.

Corisanda Sat 19-Jun-21 20:45:29

Good riddance. Maybe Labour promised to put him in the HoL when they next win an election, if he lives that long.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:46:12

Blimey!

LauraNorder Sat 19-Jun-21 20:47:02

Whitewavemark2

I think that he simply reflects what is happening to Tory support, and why we saw the Amersham result.

The middle class and educated are beginning to no longer recognise the Tory party as a political party that they can identify with, for all the reasons that have been aired.

You stated that middle class and educated folk are beginning to no longer recognise the Tory party as a party with which we can identify.
This is simply untrue and I have a right to say that you do not speak for me. Nor do you speak for many party members of my acquaintance who are fully supportive of the current government.
Some members are discontented that we have left the European Union but support the party otherwise.
Most of us feel that Labour are more than welcome to the ridiculous Mr Bercow.
I won’t take further part in the conversation as they all go the same way with the same few. There is never a debate but always a lecture, much sneering and ridiculing and always the assumption that no gransnetter is as intelligent or well educated as the chosen few.

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:47:24

Well he was never going to get far in the Conservative Party now was he?

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 20:47:36

kittylester

Was John Bercow Tory then?? Didn't realise that°

He joined the Tories at the age of 17 - so I'd say quite a long time ago.