Gransnet forums

News & politics

So how do we feel about Sajid Javid telling us not to ‘cower’ from Covid

(217 Posts)
Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:28:59

twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1418932718847541248?s=21

Must be a huge kick in the guts to anyone who has lost someone to covid.

I was pretty purple with rage tbh. Eldest son has not been able to be vaccinated but has severe learning disabilities so is at much higher risk from Covid. He has never cowered from anything in his life - but some caution might be sensible.

Not sure what will happen if their gamble on not creating a vaccine resistant strain while massively introducing transmission doesn’t come off.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 09:38:50

The message does seem to play into the hands of those who call the cautious ‘sheep’ and accuse mask-wearers of cowardice.

I am not surprised at the fact that the government is putting the economy before the people, as that is the Tory way, but I am quite surprised at the fact that the message has gone out in this way. It is usually far mor sanitised. Who is managing their Comms now that Cummings is out of the picture.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:47:21

Twitter is often not monitored - it’s why I find it interesting. No 10 policy is presumably now to have as many catch it as possible assuming ‘only people dying from Covid are the over 80’s’ or whatever Johnson said. Whilst paying no attention to the risk of developing variants from this policy.

Hancock presumably had to go because he was more cautious (which means it definitely wasn’t Cummings behind the leak, however much he thinks Hancock was useless, as he is more cautious).

MaizieD Sun 25-Jul-21 09:50:49

Typical tory heartless stupidity, really. I shall continue to cower and ignore his predictable idiocy.

Though I appreciate that his message plays into the hands of the 'anti everything' brigade.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 09:50:59

No, I wasn’t suggesting that Cummings leaked the comment, more that it was allowed to go out unsanitised.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:02:03

So all of us adhering to science guidelines have been cowering have we?

I would rather suggest that all those who didn’t follow scientific guidelines were selfish.

GagaJo Sun 25-Jul-21 10:02:37

How very Trump of him.

After all the mismanagement of the current government, they can F off if they think I'm going to take their advice to risk the health of myself and my family in order to hasten their goal of herd immunity.

Kali2 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:05:40

Yep- same here!

Daisymae Sun 25-Jul-21 10:07:37

I think that it demonstrates the attitude of those in government. I would also suggest that it much easier to remain uncowered if you have direct access to the best medical care this country has to offer as opposed to the mercies of 111.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:12:03

Awful.
As well as the obvious insensitivity and ‘I’m alright Jack-ery’, he sounds very ignorant.
This ‘government’ just gets worse and worse.
The words ‘I despair’ are well overused; but I do, I really do

eazybee Sun 25-Jul-21 10:32:21

Perfectly sensible and realistic statement, particularly the part urging people to take the vaccine.

There will always be those who need to be ultra cautious and take extra precautions because of health issues, but a healthy economy is essential to ensure people can live safely, and protect those who can't; a carefully managed return to work and as normal a life as possible is necessary, and the vaccine is one way of doing this.

Galaxy Sun 25-Jul-21 10:38:13

The language we use around illness has always been weird. That's just another example. Fighting, battles, it's all horrible and nonsensical.

Grandmashe43 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:39:54

I am not a violent woman,,but on reading his comments this morning, I would like to kick his a***.
The selfish,stupid, excuse of a politician.

Doodledog Sun 25-Jul-21 10:40:44

eazybee

Perfectly sensible and realistic statement, particularly the part urging people to take the vaccine.

There will always be those who need to be ultra cautious and take extra precautions because of health issues, but a healthy economy is essential to ensure people can live safely, and protect those who can't; a carefully managed return to work and as normal a life as possible is necessary, and the vaccine is one way of doing this.

I approve of the vaccine 100%, but there is a distinct possibility that this reckless 'opening up' will render it useless. With nearly half the population still unvaccinated and unlimited mixing, there is a greater chance of vaccine-resistant strains developing.

The return to work is not being 'carfully managed'. Nothing is.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:40:45

Yes Galaxy
It’s horrible isn’t it.
Like if you die, it’s because you’re not ‘a fighter’.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:42:03

So we are cowards now in the eyes of the Health Secretary. Lucky old Javid to have had mild symptoms but it is a pity that he doesn't have the political intelligence to look beyond his personal experience. My double jagged friends were quite ill with Covid, one hospitalised and are still recovering weeks later. What an a#se he is.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 10:49:40

Great post Parsley
Yes, for the sake of my CEV husband who was hospitalised last year despite shielding;
I’m going to carry on cowering

Greeneyedgirl Sun 25-Jul-21 10:56:48

We can only have a healthy economy if the population is healthy and the mayhem caused with contact tracing was predictable after “opening up”, with no clear policy in place.
There are, according to ONS, around 385,000 who are suffering from post Covid symptoms, since contracting Covid a year ago, and it is not unreasonable to think that this will increase.
Javid was lucky, and it was crass of him to tweet this.
The signalling from the government is that this infection is not serious, go to crowded, unventilated nightclubs and so on, get infected and get on with your life. It just isn’t so simple, and the NHS may be treating chronic post Covid illnesses for years to come. There are a lot of unknowns about this virus yet.

Nezumi65 Sun 25-Jul-21 10:56:57

It’s really not a sensible or realistic statement. For starters it isn’t sensible to assume that vaccination will remain the golden ticket out of this if you allow transmission rates to climb incredibly high. If you wanted to produce a vaccine resistant strain that is exactly what you would do.

And using the word ‘cower’ for anyone who is taking a cautious approach (for whatever reason) is revolting. The health secretary should surely be on the side of those who are clinically vulnerable or who are at increased risk.

It’s only a sensible or realistic statement if you see a good portion of the population as expendable.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:04:57

Other than the word cower Which was in my opinion definitely a poor choice, his tweet was encouraging folks to get the vaccine in order to lead a life as close to pre Covid normal as possible.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:08:13

Other than the word cower? ?

JaneJudge Sun 25-Jul-21 11:09:40

The Prime Minister was admitted to hospital with it, was he a cowardly custard ? confused

It is just so random isn't it? No one knows how they are going to 'get' covid. I know people who have been really ill, people who have unfortunately died, people who have had a mild-moderate infection and then people who have had it very mild with very little symptoms at all. The fact is though, Savid Javid is in good health I presume and has good living conditions that aren't overcrowded and good living standards. He doesn't have to go and work in a crowded and unclean working environment and I presume he doesn't have go out into crowded places shopping with those people either. Lets not pretend we all have an 'equal outcome' wrt covid because we don't. That doesn't go to say even with the right conditions you wont react badly to the virus either.

I don't think people have much of a clue wrt people with LDs though.

MaizieD Sun 25-Jul-21 11:11:17

Perhaps he's suffering from post-covid brain damage... wink

JaneJudge Sun 25-Jul-21 11:11:46

He could have posted he had been advised his infection from covid was less severe and milder because of having the vaccine. There is really no need for the use of this sort of language. Language is important

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 11:14:41

I know exactly what Javid means, and see no problem in saying we shouldn’t cower. As others say, you know when you are needing to be really cautious if you are older or have health issues, but why do so many people now enjoy being offended by a word, is the world so PC ( yes...it’s going that way) that they take everything ‘personally’.
There are many younger and healthy people, millions and millions, who can use their common sense and personal responsibility but still get out and about and enjoy the Summer.