Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris .. having a named Police Officer for crime

(76 Posts)
Bea65 Tue 27-Jul-21 12:17:08

Not sure what Police Federation will make of Boris suggestion..

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 12:24:14

You already have a names officer. What's this about?

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 12:24:25

*named

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 12:24:49

Also named officers on your home "patch"

GillT57 Tue 27-Jul-21 12:29:57

This has been revealed as yet another load of front page, headline attention nonsense. Chap on news this morning, a lecturer in Police and Criminology, and ex Police Officer, quietly and politely demolished it. We have had named Police Officers for years it seems.

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 12:32:35

Obviously you can't have one for everything but anything serious they give you one? my youngest was a victim of crime and they sent his named officer out to the house to chat with him and he gave him his number and different bits of information in case he need to contact him again. I know even if you report less serious stuff they ask if you require victim support

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Jul-21 12:58:53

More lies!!

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:17:46

Why is it lies?
Andy Burnham was very positive about it.Having a neighbourhood named officer to contact about local issues seems very sensible.More police officers are being recruited all the time.My DSIL is thinking of doing a sideways move to do just that having been a police officer for many years.

JaneJudge Tue 27-Jul-21 13:21:49

Doesn't everywhere have community police officers? We have designated offices with named officers in. I wonder if there are regional differences (again)

TillyTrotter Tue 27-Jul-21 13:25:15

We have a Community Police Woman for our parish and she does regular evening meetings in a Community Hall when you can go and speak to her one to one, or listen to her as she gives updates on what has been going on in our Community (we are in a suburb of a City).
The last one was about car crime and bicycle thefts and she gave helpful advice on we can all help to avoid being a victim of such a crime.

TillyTrotter Tue 27-Jul-21 13:25:37

I am in England btw.

Lincslass Tue 27-Jul-21 13:26:01

We already have named police officers when dealing with victims. Another Media false news to cause mischief,. As another poster had already pointed out.

Elegran Tue 27-Jul-21 13:27:20

Not exactly lies, but it does sound like taking the credit for something that has already been done by someone else.

I think I'll invent the wheel and patent it retrospectively - I'll be famous and I'll make my fortune!

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:29:32

No, you are wrong....it hasn’t been done already, but don’t take my word for it, look it up, and you will see the differences.

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 13:30:18

JaneJudge

Obviously you can't have one for everything but anything serious they give you one? my youngest was a victim of crime and they sent his named officer out to the house to chat with him and he gave him his number and different bits of information in case he need to contact him again. I know even if you report less serious stuff they ask if you require victim support

A couple of years ago, I was harassed by my (then) next door neighbour. I was assigned a named officer and was contacted by victim support.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:31:53

This isn’t about victims of crimes that have already happened.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:33:04

Maybe I’ll get my DSIL to come on and explain?
Failing that.....look it up!

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:40:32

I must qualify my above remark about crime...it is not just
For crimes that have happened but for anxieties from the public to what may happen.Having a named officer who knows the area and gets to know all about the worries before a crime may be committed as well as a crime that has been committed and the whole history and background to it, will be a real asset.Getting more police officers is key to this proposal though.

growstuff Tue 27-Jul-21 13:42:16

If it's about officers allocated certain areas, we have one of those already. He writes an article with contact number etc in the local paper every month, is named on the council website, goes into schools and has a kiosk on the market and at fetes, etc.

lemongrove Tue 27-Jul-21 13:43:51

No, it isn’t.

GillT57 Tue 27-Jul-21 13:49:05

Lemon there are already 'named officers' as you describe, not just for victims of crime. The ex police officer on BBC news this morning explained that. Has been on place since 2013 I think, but I will check. Nobody is arguing about what has been proposed, so no need to keep defending your beloved Boris! The thing is that it is yet another ill thought out sound bite to appeal to the tabloid readers without being clear that this is already in place, and without either consulting Police Chiefs as to how they will be able to implement this while numbers of officers are very low. But this will likely be like the pay rises for nurses announcement; a load of hot air, triumph and applause from some of the public and desperation from the people left to do the grown up work of making the latest hair brained scheme work on reduced funding.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 14:06:43

Are there some areas without named officers?
I've certainly had one since 1991 in three different areas.
Not sure I bothered to find out ahead of that but I knew quite a few on different "patches" through work too..

Oldbat1 Tue 27-Jul-21 14:20:50

Boris Johnson has no idea. Isn’t this what the local “Community” Police Officer was? We all knew who she was and where/how we could get in touch. She knew the local kids. Ours was excellent at her job and respected before all the cut backs - I haven’t seen a police officer out on the streets in our town for years. Police Station only open infrequently.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Jul-21 14:21:03

Nothing will happen. It never does.

GillT57 Tue 27-Jul-21 14:26:40

How will this new initiative, if it is one of course, be implemented? Over 650 Police stations have been closed by the Tories, more than 21,000 officers less too. Pathetic