Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump and the Republican Party - what happens next?

(19 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 31-Jul-21 12:30:44

The Republicans are denying that the events on 6 January were violent. Some say that it never happened. Others that the public were all lefties and the police were all actors The New York Times spent 6 months piecing together film taken from peoples' camera phones and made the into a video. The link is below.

www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/us/jan-6-capitol-attack-takeaways.html

Some good news - the Department of Justice has ordered the IRS to hand over Trump's tax returns which hould make interesting reading.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:35:23

Quite bizarre. There seems to be a relatively big minority, that doesn’t believe Trump lost the election, that doesn’t believe in covid and will not have a vaccine and now this!

The must be a psychological explanation for those living in such a make-believe world.

Fennel Sun 01-Aug-21 12:01:25

Hollywood and the Wild West myths and legends?

Dinahmo Sun 01-Aug-21 12:16:56

The video compilation is shocking. The commentator often says that many of the people genuinely believe that they are demonstrating in order to save America.

The news footage that we saw on tv showed a tiny part of what was actually happening in the Capitol building but this footage was taken from camera phones of people who were in the midst of the rioting.

What I find truly amazing is the power that one man had to be able to instigate such behaviour.

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 12:29:31

They think the election was rigged. I can see maybe you could just think that but we all saw what happened on 6th January. I believe they claim the police were violent. The police are usually violent in US but we saw protesters scaling the walls, breaking in and refusing to leave. Over 500 people have been identified from photos and their Parler accounts so surely it should be simple to identify their political allegiances and if they are lefties?

I think Trump is getting ready to rally the Republican Party, particularly when Joe Biden’s mental health is looking unstable.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:51:05

Lefties?

I don't think the people storming the Capitol were lefties confused

Evidence for President Biden's MH being unstable?

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:56:10

Oh, I see what you mean Dinahmo, I should have read the OP better.

Still stands though!

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 13:00:30

According to the op it was claimed the public were all lefties Alegrias. That’s why I used the term and said now their names were revealed it should be easy to determine what party they were. I did not say they were lefties.

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 13:03:13

Alegrias as for Joe Biden I keep seeing his quotes where he has got his words muddled up and doesn’t seem to be quite with it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 13:07:58

25Avalon

Alegrias as for Joe Biden I keep seeing his quotes where he has got his words muddled up and doesn’t seem to be quite with it.

He has a stutter.

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 13:10:10

WWM2 it wasn’t a stutter. It is rather concerning. Just look up what he has actually been saying.

Alegrias1 Sun 01-Aug-21 13:35:09

Yes, agreed about the lefties comment 25Avalon, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Ascribing mental health problems to a man who has overcome a serious speech impediment isn't on though.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 13:43:24

25Avalon

WWM2 it wasn’t a stutter. It is rather concerning. Just look up what he has actually been saying.

Gosh if you think Biden is losing his marbles, goodness knows what you must think of Johnson.

Biden could leap over a Johnson’s head for political intelligence.

GillT57 Sun 01-Aug-21 13:50:46

I have considerably less concern for the mental health or otherwise of a man of advanced years doing an extremely difficult job in challenging times, than I do of those who are foolish enough to believe that the election was rigged and that it is all some sort of a leftie plot.

Dinahmo Sun 01-Aug-21 14:00:20

25Avalon

According to the op it was claimed the public were all lefties Alegrias. That’s why I used the term and said now their names were revealed it should be easy to determine what party they were. I did not say they were lefties.

I was writing about the Republicans and what they thought. Some of the Republicans are saying that it never happened. Some of the Republicans are saying that the public, ie the demonstrators, were all lefties.

I agree that the police in America are far more violent but in the UK but there were very few of them on duty at the Capitol that day. They were swamped by the rioters and it is a wonder that more people weren't killed.

I would urge you to look at the video.

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 15:00:52

Dinahmo if you look at my first post at 13:00 I have not denied anything that happened but have given answers to what some Republicans are saying which are not in their favour.

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 15:01:42

Sorry that should be first posting of 12:29.

M0nica Sun 01-Aug-21 15:22:22

I have been forgetting words and using words at random since my mid-30s. Does that mean I have been losing my marbles while bringing up a family, following a demanding career, which needed marbles, not to mention studing for 2 further degrees.

If doing all that while mixing words and language means I am losing my marbles I am, as they say, entirely comfortable with that.

GillT57 Sun 01-Aug-21 16:05:15

Better forgetting the odd word, or losing your train of thought occasionally, than deliberately telling lies like our own esteemed leader.