Gransnet forums

News & politics

“Recollections may vary”. Harry and Meghan (again - I know!)

(507 Posts)
MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 07:36:38

This may be a pot shot too far, now they seem to be including the Queen in their self- righteous whingeing.
(Not that I am biased)
Apparently Duke and Duchess of Sussex believe the Queen failed to take “full ownership” of the race allegations made in their interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to the authors of the unauthorised biography Finding Freedom.
A “friend of the couple” (unnamed, of course) has apparently told Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand that the Queen’s lack of action had prevented the Duke and Duchess from moving on from the claims.
The source also suggested that the Queen’s assertion that “recollections may vary” had not gone down well.
(It did however rank IMHO as one of HM’s all-time greatest bons mots )
The Queen has until now been one of the only senior members of the Royal family to escape the Sussexes’ criticism, but this new epilogue to Finding Freedom, published in People magazine in the US, suggests that the Duke and Duchess feel frustrated that the Duke’s grandmother did not follow through with her promise to address their concerns.
It says: “The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment ‘did not go unnoticed’ by the couple, who a close source said were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken
Just one question, if this book is “unauthorised”, does it or does it not reflect their views? Or is it an example of letting somebody else put words in their mouths so that they can deny them afterwards if necessary? All these “unnamed friends,” and “close sources” - aye, right.

Lucca Thu 19-Aug-21 07:56:50

On your marks, get set….

Blinko Thu 19-Aug-21 07:57:02

I think this disreputable pair will take sideways potshots at HM at their peril. How many followers do they have, I wonder? Readers of Hello and OK magazines, and who else?

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:00:48

what else was the poor lady meant to say

grannysyb Thu 19-Aug-21 08:01:47

Ooh Maw brave of you!

NanKate Thu 19-Aug-21 08:14:21

The Queen is 95, is bereaved, still works, and this dreadful pair, it appears, holds some grudge against her now. They are a total disgrace.

If they come over to the U.K. next year for the Queen’s celebrations I suspect they will get a very frosty reception.

Luckygirl Thu 19-Aug-21 08:18:22

Here is the bottom line ....we all know nothing!

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Aug-21 08:18:51

I totally agree NanKate.

eazybee Thu 19-Aug-21 08:23:07

The Queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment ‘did not go unnoticed’ by the couple.

Well, fancy.

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:24:47

what we do know about is the couples statement on afghanistan
now that was interesting in my opinion

lemongrove Thu 19-Aug-21 08:26:27

Lucca....you enjoy these threads, just admit it!?

lemongrove Thu 19-Aug-21 08:29:25

Yes Maw I have just heard this discussed on tv.
I think that having words put into their mouths by second parties suits the couple very well.It allows them to distance themselves from any flak that may come their way.
Very soon, the world will decide it’s heard enough from them.

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:33:09

then theyre up to something by putting things out there via scobie

Visgir1 Thu 19-Aug-21 08:33:17

Hearsay...

Esspee Thu 19-Aug-21 08:33:39

NanKate

The Queen is 95, is bereaved, still works, and this dreadful pair, it appears, holds some grudge against her now. They are a total disgrace.

If they come over to the U.K. next year for the Queen’s celebrations I suspect they will get a very frosty reception.

I used to have a soft spot for Harry. To me he was always the child made to walk behind his mother’s casket.
When he married Meghan I was delighted. Her career as an actress made her ideal for the type of life the young royals face and he was clearly besotted.
Now he has turned into a pathetic wimp.
NanKate says what I think most people feel about him and his wife now.
I am certainly not a royalist but I have huge respect for the Queen. How dare that obnoxious pair publicly criticise his grandmother through anonymous “friends”.
I hope they never return to the U.K. and we cease to hear any more of their opinions.

Lucca Thu 19-Aug-21 08:35:48

lemongrove

*Lucca*....you enjoy these threads, just admit it!?

As you have said before…
I find them fascinating actually.

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:38:54

me too lucca
so all lets not to descend into any personal insults so we can discuss

Lucca Thu 19-Aug-21 08:41:23

Lillie? Did I issue any personal insults ??

MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 08:44:01

Lillie

me too lucca
so all lets not to descend into any personal insults so we can discuss

Personal insults ?
<Looks around> -
Where? When? Who? confusedconfused

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:44:42

did i use the quote thingy lucca
no
i was pre empting any squabbles before we get going
i did address all of us in the 1st personal plural

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:45:29

if you are interested in the use of we look at megan and harrys statement at the beginning of the week

MawBe Thu 19-Aug-21 08:47:47

Lillie

did i use the quote thingy lucca
no
i was pre empting any squabbles before we get going
i did address all of us in the 1st personal plural

As grown adults, surely we can discuss without resorting to “squabbling “ or any suggestion of personal insults - did it really need saying?

Lillie Thu 19-Aug-21 08:55:11

apologies mawbe
just going on previous h and m threads i looked at

anyways heres what i was talking about

‘The world is exceptionally fragile right now.

As we all feel the many layers of pain due to the situation in Afghanistan, we are left speechless. As we all watch the growing humanitarian disaster in Haiti, and the threat of it worsening after last weekend’s earthquake, we are left heartbroken. And as we all witness the continuing global health crisis, exacerbated by new variants and constant misinformation, we are left scared.

When any person or community suffers, a piece of each of us does so with them, whether we realize it or not. And though we are not meant to live in a state of suffering, we, as a people, are being conditioned to accept it. It’s easy to find ourselves feeling powerless, but we can put our values into action — together.’

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 19-Aug-21 08:55:58

Sorry folks but I still believe Meghan and Harry were hounded out of this country by the tabloid press and those who support said red tops. M&H could have been brilliant. Far enough from the throne to be more outspoken than William and Kate but close enough to make an impact. Don’t you think it is significant that those newspapers who profess to despise them and reckon too much is written about them - write the most stories!? It is all such a shame the way that whatever H&M say is twisted and misinterpreted. I also still believe that racism had a lot to do with their exile.

lemongrove Thu 19-Aug-21 08:58:13

You can believe what you like Ladyleftfield as can we all.