Gransnet forums

News & politics

A winter of very expensive heating and little food?

(552 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 09:14:43

What is happening about this? I must admit I feel worried.

If this is true and will be paid for by those who have lost in-work benefits and are paying higher NI, how on earth will they get through the winter.

I'm a Pensioner and not rich enough to expect them to do anything for me.

travelsafar Sun 19-Sep-21 09:23:06

PippaZ there is something called warm homes discount that is available for those who have a smaller income. You need to google to see what the criteria is and if your energy supplier is taking part,. What happens is a certain amout of money is paid into your energy account during the winter months. You are also still allowed to receive winter fuel allowance. My energy company are sending me a form which needs completing as i rang them to adjust my direct debit after DH died and they informed me of it. I wont know until i have completed application form if i will get it, but if i dont try i wont know. It may be you can claim it. Noting worse than worrying about heating bills and being cold. smile

Teacheranne Sun 19-Sep-21 09:23:09

I wonder how much of this is scaremongering by the media? Today they are saying that in less than two weeks there will be shortages of meat due to problems with the cost of CO2 which is used in the meat trade - not sure why it is necessary though! At first I thought oh dear, I eat a lot of meat as I’m not fond of vegetables so for about two seconds I wondering if I should buy extra this week. Then I realised I was being ridiculous, I don’t have a big freezer and mine is full now and anyway, I won’t starve if I cannot have as much meat!

But if other people read the newspapers today and now start stockpiling meat then that will create shortages, thus proving these articles correct!

travelsafar Sun 19-Sep-21 09:23:27

nothing not noting!!!

Shinamae Sun 19-Sep-21 09:27:03

I fear this is going to lead to people panic buying again…

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 09:31:01

TeacherAnne co2 is used in the stuff that they use to stun the animals before they are murdered.
It’s also used to keep the meat fresh I think.

Doodledog Sun 19-Sep-21 09:31:20

I’m not sure I understand your last sentence. Why would people on benefits do anything for you?

I don’t know what to make of the bleak midwinter forecast, but if there is a chance that people will be unable to heat their homes then IMO we should renationalise fuel supplies and keep prices down - I never liked the idea of essential services being used to profit shareholders, and even more so at a time like this.

We knew that food and fuel supplies would be disrupted by Brexit, and were told that it was Project Fear. We are now being told that the reason for the disruption is something else. I may be being too sceptical, but I’m waiting for someone to uncover a cover-up. Time will tell.

Things are looking grim though. One way or another we will all be poorer very soon, and this is not the Brave New World that some were expecting.

Shandy57 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:34:20

The lack of CO2 for stun guns in the slaughter house is very disturbing, I fear we will be returning to medieval methods.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:34:39

It doesn’t matter whether people stock or not.

The fact is that this government is causing chaos because of its lack of competence.

Shortages throughout the winter.

Ask whether they are experiencing the same in Europe.
Then understand the reason.

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 09:34:59

Stop reading the media and you'll feel much better and, most likely, be completely fine! Scaremongering sells news. angry

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:35:14

Shandy57

The lack of CO2 for stun guns in the slaughter house is very disturbing, I fear we will be returning to medieval methods.

? I’m going to contact my farmer and ask him.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:36:06

Aveline

Stop reading the media and you'll feel much better and, most likely, be completely fine! Scaremongering sells news. angry

I seem to remember people giving this message before Brexit.

They were wrong then, they are wrong now.

Doodledog Sun 19-Sep-21 09:36:51

I think CO2 is used around food when it is packaged. Maybe it could be shrink-wrapped and frozen? Or sold as it used to be in butchers shops.

It’s going to be tricky if meat is in short supply just as vegetables are rotting in the fields for want of pickers. Maybe we can eat pasta. Rice may be more difficult as it needs to be imported.

?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:37:34

I understood that CO2 is used in meat packaging and bagged salad etc to extend the fridge life of products.

Katie59 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:41:24

CO2 is used to increase the shelf life of pre packed food of all sorts, fresh food is not affected so don’t worry about food shortages, there will be fresh or frozen alternatives.

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 09:50:45

Good try whitewave? but utterly wrong.
In spite of some posters agendas ( Brexit and usual government bashing) this CO2 shortage is Europe wide, and to do with rising gas prices which is needed for the production of it.Six factories producing CO2 in Europe have had to close as non viable including two in England.There are widespread shortages of it which is a cause for concern to the meat industry.A chance for the whole of Europe to reduce their meat eating, a silver lining and all that.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Sep-21 09:54:44

lemongrove

Good try whitewave? but utterly wrong.
In spite of some posters agendas ( Brexit and usual government bashing) this CO2 shortage is Europe wide, and to do with rising gas prices which is needed for the production of it.Six factories producing CO2 in Europe have had to close as non viable including two in England.There are widespread shortages of it which is a cause for concern to the meat industry.A chance for the whole of Europe to reduce their meat eating, a silver lining and all that.

I wonder if you can correct me?

Which countries in Europe have food shortages and empty shelves?

MaizieD Sun 19-Sep-21 09:59:48

It's not just CO2. The rising cost of natural gas has implications for our electricity supply. Firstly in actual cost to the consumer as electricity produced by gas fired power stations becomes more expensive, and secondly, because we don't produce all our own electricity, some is supplied from Europe.

We're especially dependent on European electricity supply at the moment because wind powered units aren't producing enough (there's been an unusual lack of wind recently).

This twitter thread from 2018 lays out our position with regard to European supply of electricity and the implications for us as a result of Brexit.

Basically it says that in the event of a shortage of electricity EU states will prioritise supply to member states rather than to third countries; i.e the UK.

It may not happen, but it's as well to be aware..

There could be a rather bleak Christmas in prospect.

twitter.com/mac_puck/status/1014164096109961218

PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 10:00:01

travelsafar

PippaZ there is something called warm homes discount that is available for those who have a smaller income. You need to google to see what the criteria is and if your energy supplier is taking part,. What happens is a certain amout of money is paid into your energy account during the winter months. You are also still allowed to receive winter fuel allowance. My energy company are sending me a form which needs completing as i rang them to adjust my direct debit after DH died and they informed me of it. I wont know until i have completed application form if i will get it, but if i dont try i wont know. It may be you can claim it. Noting worse than worrying about heating bills and being cold. smile

travelsafar you are right to flag this up.

Currently, it will add £140 to your account which will stay there as a credit over the winter. All the bigger energy companies offer if. Each company has two groups. Those on certain benefits are in what is called the "core" group and should get it automatically.

The second group is decided by the companies so the criteria differ from company to company. There is a cap on what they have to spend on this. If you are filling in the form now you will be at the beginning of this year's awards so will be in a better position.

There are quite a few things you can claim if you are on a low income but not benefits. PM me if I can help. It's amazing how many people, particularly pensioners, do not claim what they are entitled to.

JenniferEccles Sun 19-Sep-21 10:02:34

Oh goody! I’ve found today’s ‘we’re all doomed’ thread.

Keep your eyes peeled folks. There’ll be another one tomorrow!

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:04:07

whitewave many countries have HGV driver shortages and all will feel the lack of CO2 just as we will.Trying to make out that it’s merely a UK problem doesn’t wash.

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 10:05:43

Jennifer ?
There may be more doom threads today never mind tomorrow, you can rely on GN for that ( if nothing else.)

25Avalon Sun 19-Sep-21 10:06:02

CO2 is needed for refrigeration and delivery of frozen products. It is used to manufacture dry ice. It is not just about pre-packed foods.

I am also wondering about bars where CO2 in cylinders is used to propel beers and cider through the pumps. Are pubs going to have to close? The media could promote mass hysteria on this one grin

This doesn’t help PippaZ’s concerns however. Trying to buy fresh from local farmers markets could be a cheaper more available food option.As regards heating is everyone on low income going to need to buy a walking sleeping bag to keep warm?

Galaxy Sun 19-Sep-21 10:06:24

Stop reading the mediagrin. If you never look outside your own door all will be fine.

PippaZ Sun 19-Sep-21 10:07:53

Doodledog

I agree. All essential, basically natural monopoly services, should be state owned.

I think you may have misread my last sentence.