Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does anyone here believe, as I do, that Johnson is finished (and I am sure HE does know himself)

(244 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:48:07

All the signs are there, no?

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 18:48:36

No.

User7777 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:54:54

No.... havent noticed.

grannyactivist Sat 25-Sep-21 19:04:59

Whether he stays or goes is in the hands of the Mail and the Telegraph I think - and right now there doesn’t seem to be an appetite to replace him. The Mail is no longer as supportive as it has been, but hasn’t yet started to openly support potential replacements and the Telegraph is clearly frustrated, but not enough to stick the knife in yet.

theworriedwell Sat 25-Sep-21 19:06:25

We can only hope but of course there is the worry of which idiot we get next.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:12:26

And THAT is a huge worry, for sure.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Sep-21 19:12:47

That would be so wonderful

Riverwalk Sat 25-Sep-21 19:22:30

What signs?

I can't stand the blustering, lying, unkempt, libidinous git, but see no signs that he'll be finished soon.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 19:24:43

No? Could you share what you think are “all the signs”.
What have you spotted?
Defeat in the Commons? ?
Back bench rebellion?

LadyGracie Sat 25-Sep-21 19:24:51

They're all as bad as each other, they could look at the back benches, that's doubtful though!

growstuff Sat 25-Sep-21 19:27:39

Riverwalk

What signs?

I can't stand the blustering, lying, unkempt, libidinous git, but see no signs that he'll be finished soon.

I agree. I must admit some signs would cheer me up.

Hetty58 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:30:20

I still can't really believe he's PM - so who knows what the idiots will vote for next!

cc Sat 25-Sep-21 19:31:32

No.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:32:41

He looks totally lost and dejected- with Biden, at the G5 Summit- the total lack of reaction to his kermit 'joke', and on, and on. And total lack of solutions to the HGV/food/petrol shortage.

Robin38 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:34:57

No

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 19:37:15

Kali2

He looks totally lost and dejected- with Biden, at the G5 Summit- the total lack of reaction to his kermit 'joke', and on, and on. And total lack of solutions to the HGV/food/petrol shortage.

Is that it then Kali2 ?
I was hoping for something much more substantial.

Casdon Sat 25-Sep-21 19:50:26

Yes, I think he’s in his third act now, the public is falling out of his thrall, so his personal popularity ratings are reducing.
Here’s some evidence as requested by MayBeMaw.
yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Boris_Johnson

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:55:25

I feel it is certainly palpable, if not 'substantial'- yes.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:01:23

I’ve been saying it for years but each time he seems to get away with things that no other politician would. Attempt to prorogue parliament for eg. Jennifer Arcuri. The list is endless.

Riverwalk Sat 25-Sep-21 20:04:02

We are nowhere near a general election so those YouGov figures are not likely to bother the Tory party.

Kali2 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:06:13

I am talking about Johnson here.

Even the Conservative Financial Times is coming to that conclusion

One thing is clear. However the coronavirus crisis plays out in Britain, the Boris Johnson government we thought we knew is over. The rest of his premiership will be spent on this crisis and its aftermath. There will be little space for anything else. And that is assuming that he is still in place to oversee the aftermath.

Some of his government’s innate Gaullism may still fit with what comes next, but other aspects of the Johnson revolution, the assault on the civil service or the BBC, the drive for lower taxation and some of the regional policy are vanishing before our eyes.

Even Brexit must have a question mark over its completion, if not yet on whether it happens, most definitely on when.

There is obviously no certainty that Mr Johnson comes through this as prime minister at all, though those dreaming of his downfall should remember that the worse things get for him the worse they must first have got for the nation. While he has the parliamentary numbers to stay in power, there could conceivably come a point when early mistakes cost him the support of his own party and the country. If he gets through the crisis he may be broken by it and the recriminations which follow. There is no avoiding the grisly global scorecard against which he will be judged. But even if he endures, the landscape will be changed entirely.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:07:14

No

Riverwalk Sat 25-Sep-21 20:09:01

The Labour party conference started today - Keir Starmer could well be finished before Bozzer.

Josianne Sat 25-Sep-21 20:11:59

Simply no.

MayBeMaw Sat 25-Sep-21 20:13:30

Kali2

I am talking about Johnson here.

Even the Conservative Financial Times is coming to that conclusion

One thing is clear. However the coronavirus crisis plays out in Britain, the Boris Johnson government we thought we knew is over. The rest of his premiership will be spent on this crisis and its aftermath. There will be little space for anything else. And that is assuming that he is still in place to oversee the aftermath.

Some of his government’s innate Gaullism may still fit with what comes next, but other aspects of the Johnson revolution, the assault on the civil service or the BBC, the drive for lower taxation and some of the regional policy are vanishing before our eyes.

Even Brexit must have a question mark over its completion, if not yet on whether it happens, most definitely on when.

There is obviously no certainty that Mr Johnson comes through this as prime minister at all, though those dreaming of his downfall should remember that the worse things get for him the worse they must first have got for the nation. While he has the parliamentary numbers to stay in power, there could conceivably come a point when early mistakes cost him the support of his own party and the country. If he gets through the crisis he may be broken by it and the recriminations which follow. There is no avoiding the grisly global scorecard against which he will be judged. But even if he endures, the landscape will be changed entirely.

I take it you are quoting from the FT?