Gransnet forums

News & politics

HIGNFY has been cancelled then?

(50 Posts)
JaneJudge Fri 15-Oct-21 21:32:08

confused hmm

lemsip Fri 15-Oct-21 21:52:49

that will be because of the murder of David Amess MP today. It would be bad taste.

Jaxjacky Fri 15-Oct-21 21:53:35

Not sure of the specifics, but because of the murder of David Amess.

Mollygo Fri 15-Oct-21 21:57:47

I’d imagine so. Making any sort of political skit would be in very bad taste.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Oct-21 22:26:32

What’s HIGNFY mean ?

Zoejory Fri 15-Oct-21 22:27:21

Have I Got News for You

Kamiso Fri 15-Oct-21 22:43:53

It’s recorded the day before and quite likely had unacceptable comments. Shame it takes a shocking murder to highlight that anger and vitriol stir up violent reactions.

annodomini Fri 15-Oct-21 23:43:51

The sitcom scheduled to follow HIGNFY, the Cleaner, was replaced by a Miranda repeat. I have never watched the Cleaner, so wouldn't know if it would have been unacceptably political.

Blossoming Fri 15-Oct-21 23:44:13

It’s going to be shown early next week,

Eloethan Sat 16-Oct-21 00:14:04

I can understand them cancelling The Cleaner but I don't really understand why HIGNFY was cancelled.

Kim19 Sat 16-Oct-21 02:36:01

I did wonder if perhaps there was some adverse comment about Mr A in the show by complete coincidence.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Oct-21 05:13:34

TYVM zoejory

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Oct-21 07:32:59

Kim19

I did wonder if perhaps there was some adverse comment about Mr A in the show by complete coincidence.

I doubt that very much indeed.

I agree with Mollygo, any political skit would have been disrespectful on the evening of the murder of Mr Amess.

It’s entirely possible that panellists were friends of Mr Amess; and probable that they were colleagues.

And isn’t HIGNFY filmed on the day of broadcast?
I doubt that it was even filmed yesterday, it may have just been cancelled, and as Blossoming suggests, filmed and broadcast later this week.
Probably with a mention of Sir David at the beginning or end of the program.

Franbern Sat 16-Oct-21 09:23:55

So, everytime there is a brutal murder, are tv programmes are cancelled???

Callistemon Sat 16-Oct-21 09:27:34

I should hope that a programme which is political satire would be postponed or cancelled on the day that an MP has been brutally murdered, yes.

Alegrias1 Sat 16-Oct-21 09:28:07

How can anybody be surprised that HIGNFY was postponed?

Last week they had an completely justified go at the Tory Government, this week one of the Tory MPs got killed. Its just appropriate to have a pause this week.

And The Cleaner is about someone who clears up murder scenes.

Its not difficult to understand, really.

Callistemon Sat 16-Oct-21 09:29:21

Franbern

It was not just a brutal murder, shocking though that is, it was an attack on democracy and the way our MPs conduct their business in their constituencies.

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Oct-21 09:29:22

It’s because of the content of the show Franbern
It’s hard to take the puss out of politics and politicians, when as Lindsay Hoyle has said ‘their has been an assault on democracy’.
I doubt if Hislop in particular was in the mood for it.

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Oct-21 09:30:06

Great minds eh Callistemon smile

Callistemon Sat 16-Oct-21 09:30:51

X post but same sentiments.

I am shocked that anyone was surprised it was cancelled.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Oct-21 09:31:04

Franbern

It is not unusual for programming to be altered due to an event

HIGNFY is filmed on a Thursday before screening on Friday, as we are not party to the content whereas the Producers/Directors are they obviously deemed it inappropriate to air last night.

Perhaps it is out of respect for a much loved MP of nearly 40 years, a husband and father of five who worked relentlessly for his constituents and many many small and varied charities.

Riverwalk Sat 16-Oct-21 09:31:23

There's usually a lot of lampooning of politicians, so right that it wasn't broadcast on the day.

OurKid1 Sat 16-Oct-21 09:33:49

I guess that taking the whatsit out of politicians would be seen as bad taste given the circumstances - quite rightly IMO.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Oct-21 09:40:28

TV programmes are often cancelled or at least postponed if something relevant happens in the news. Doesn’t have to be a murder, it could be a missing child, a terror attack, anything.

Hope it doesn’t inconvenience anyone too much if HIGNFY is shown next week instead.

Lucca Sat 16-Oct-21 09:40:54

Eloethan

I can understand them cancelling The Cleaner but I don't really understand why HIGNFY was cancelled.

Eloethan I wonder if you mean the other way round ?

Clearly a political satire programme, excellent though it is, is completely inappropriate when an MP has just died.