Gransnet forums

News & politics

Standing Together

(50 Posts)
love0c Sat 16-Oct-21 09:13:47

Just watched Boris Johnson and Sir Keir Starmer standing together after laying flowers at the site of Sir David Amess' murder. Good to see.

Newquay Sat 16-Oct-21 09:16:38

Indeed-how sad it takes such an awful event

MaizieD Sat 16-Oct-21 09:26:36

It's a political convention. The PM & LOTO usually do stand together on occasions like this. It is not particularly symbolic of anything.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Oct-21 09:47:14

MaizieD

It's a political convention. The PM & LOTO usually do stand together on occasions like this. It is not particularly symbolic of anything.

It’s symbolic it’s a joining together to show respect for a fellow MP of nearly 40 years violently murdered in a Church whilst meeting his constituents.

(The Home Secretary is also in attendance)

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 10:01:08

When you see the flood of very real emotion from so many people, especially his constituents, showing the extent to which David Amess spent his long life as an MP working hard for his constituents, likewise the flood of grief which followed the murder of Jo Cox, another excellent constituency MP.

Is it not time to rethink about the way we tar all MPs as cynical, greedy, money and power grubbers, living life on the hog and up for every shady deal available if it lines their pockets.

Is it not time to think whether when we sweepingly use these descriptions and accord with these stereotypes, that we are ourselves are adding to the general contenpt of politicians that make them such targets for outrages like that of thetwo MPs murdered.

Some MPs may indeed be the cynical power and money grubbers I have described above but for every one of them there are probably five who like David Amess and Jo Cox, first and foremost see their duty being to serve their constituents, help them and befriend them.

Perhaps in future before people post sweeping statements condemning MPs in general, or abusing all those of one party, they will think awhile. Remember these two martyrs for democracy and then temper what they write.

maddyone Sat 16-Oct-21 10:03:02

It seems to me that party political differences fade through difficult times like this. And so they should. Convention or not, human life is the issue here, and the whole country is united in shock and horror about the horrible events of yesterday, as was the case when other politicians have been attacked like this. Politicians have been united in saying what a kind and caring man Sir David Amess was and how he was always helpful and supportive towards new, young Members of the House.

maddyone Sat 16-Oct-21 10:04:55

Excellent post Monica. You have expressed my thoughts but have expressed them far better than I could.

MaizieD Sat 16-Oct-21 10:05:26

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

It’s symbolic it’s a joining together to show respect for a fellow MP of nearly 40 years violently murdered in a Church whilst meeting his constituents.

(The Home Secretary is also in attendance)

What I mean is that it's not symbolic of anything significant about the relationship between the two leaders. They could hate each other's guts, but they would still stand together in situations such as this. Convention expects it. It is not remarkable.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-Oct-21 10:05:32

Well said Monica there are so many good eggs on both sides of the house. Unless you are involved or touched by one of the causes they relentlessly work for/on behalf of these are never highlighted until like yesterday they are headlines after what is a senseless loss of life.

Casdon Sat 16-Oct-21 10:05:55

After such a horrific event it’s what we would all do I think. Party politics are less important at this moment than the shared grief for him, and the fact that something like this could happen. I hope it leads to improvements in the security arrangements for MP surgeries.

MaizieD Sat 16-Oct-21 10:06:54

Good post, MOnica. I hope people take note.

Anniebach Sat 16-Oct-21 10:09:03

Thank you MOnica

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 10:13:12

What I mean is that it's not symbolic of anything significant about the relationship between the two leaders. They could hate each other's guts, but they would still stand together in situations such as this. Convention expects it. It is not remarkable.

It is symbolic because it encapsulates everything that our democracy stands for. That in time of national outrage like this, when those who represent us in Parliament, are attacked and killed, the two main party leaders will overcome any personal animosity between them and stand together and demonstrate the unity of their belief of the primacy of a democraticaly elected House of C|ommons in the face of those who would attack it and, if possible, destroy it.

TerriBull Sat 16-Oct-21 10:22:25

I do agree Monica, both David Ames and Jo Cox came across as good and caring souls, it is a great shame that it takes such tragedies to remind us that not all MPs are merely career politicians out to line their pockets.

henetha Sat 16-Oct-21 10:46:10

I completely agree with Monica. She has put it far better than I could.

MaizieD Sat 16-Oct-21 10:49:45

M0nica

^What I mean is that it's not symbolic of anything significant about the relationship between the two leaders. They could hate each other's guts, but they would still stand together in situations such as this. Convention expects it. It is not remarkable.^

It is symbolic because it encapsulates everything that our democracy stands for. That in time of national outrage like this, when those who represent us in Parliament, are attacked and killed, the two main party leaders will overcome any personal animosity between them and stand together and demonstrate the unity of their belief of the primacy of a democraticaly elected House of C|ommons in the face of those who would attack it and, if possible, destroy it.

You clearly didn't read my explanation, MOnica.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 16-Oct-21 10:54:19

Very eloquent posts MOnica. I hope the ‘bashing’ on GN will abate in respect to this good and hard working man who has done so much for so many.

AcornFairy Sat 16-Oct-21 10:59:47

I also agree with what MOnica said in her excellent post. Too much air time is given to complaints about our MPs and politicians, with scant reference to all the good things they do. The vast majority are hard working, caring people who are pilloried as greedy and self-serving. It's dreadful that that is brushed aside until such tragic events as this happen.

Spinnaker Sat 16-Oct-21 11:00:34

Excellent posts Monica Perhaps now would also be the time that certain MPs reflect on their use of language towards each other - Angela Rayner's recent comments spring to mind.

Jillyjosie Sat 16-Oct-21 11:02:50

Well said Monica, I can only add my horror too. A huge attack on our democracy, that poor man. His assistants must be traumatised.

SueDonim Sat 16-Oct-21 11:35:39

Excellent post, Monica, thank you. The abuse of politicians starts from the use of words such as scum.

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 12:00:35

Thank you.

MaizieD Sat 16-Oct-21 12:06:41

SueDonim

Excellent post, Monica, thank you. The abuse of politicians starts from the use of words such as scum.

Well, that's pretty amazing. From the use of one word a month ago to the death of an MP yesterday. That must be a record for absorption of an idea to acting on it...

Remember our PM saying that blaming the use of his use of 'inflammatory language for death threats to MPs was 'humbug'

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1176940742595534853

I understand that the police are saying that murderer was an Islamist. The jihadi use of inflammatory language against 'infidels' has a long history, I doubt if 'tories are scum' really had much bearing n this case.

25Avalon Sat 16-Oct-21 12:17:42

British but of Somali origin apparently.

Alegrias1 Sat 16-Oct-21 13:35:27

I am going to add my voice to the appreciation for M0nica's posts. ??

And my disappointment that we straight away dive into condemning one political party over others and reminding everybody that the suspect probably wasn't born in Britain.