Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

(103 Posts)
Antonia Sat 16-Oct-21 22:29:06

I have just read the news that she has lost her appeal. I feel so desperately sorry for her, and I fear that she might never recover mentally from her continuing ordeal.
My heart goes out to her and her husband and daughter.

V3ra Sat 16-Oct-21 23:00:22

She's just being used. It's so desperately awful. I continue to hope that one day she'll come home to her husband and daughter. Poor lady x

Deedaa Sat 16-Oct-21 23:06:37

And the poor woman's got Liz Truss on her side. The only foreign secretary who might be more ineffectual than Boris.

Fadingrose Sat 16-Oct-21 23:26:36

Johnson's contribution was class though?
No?
Thought not

Chestnut Sat 16-Oct-21 23:44:31

I remember her husband being so hopeful she would be home for Christmas, probably about three years ago. He must be in despair waiting endlessly, having his hopes raised and then dashed again every time. It's so cruel. I feel for the whole family who have been through so much.

grannyactivist Sat 16-Oct-21 23:57:12

I have found this whole sorry saga to be quite distressing. It’s just a senseless ordeal for the family and I am cross that any UK diplomatic intervention has been largely inept, if not actually damaging. The Iranian government is wholly responsible for her situation, but our own government bears some culpability for exacerbating it.

Mapleleaf Sun 17-Oct-21 00:01:10

The poor woman is a political pawn (and has been for too many years). Shame on the respective governments of the countries concerned who have the the clout to do something about it, but, for whatever reasons (that I don’t understand), won’t. I feel for her, her husband and family. It’s a wicked, shameful, state of affairs.

paddyann54 Sun 17-Oct-21 00:18:04

mapleleaf you dont think Boris' contribution saying she wasn't just visiting family has any part in her detention?

Shelflife Sun 17-Oct-21 00:18:23

Shocking situation! I think about her and her family often. The emotional pain must be indescribable!

Humbertbear Sun 17-Oct-21 08:26:22

Unfortunately she is being kept hostage because we owe the Iranian government something like £500,000,000. It’s a dreadful situation.

Newquay Sun 17-Oct-21 09:26:28

A heartbreaking situation-I cannot understand why more isn’t being done to get her out of there!

silverlining48 Sun 17-Oct-21 09:29:04

I think as Humbert says it’s a matter of the hundreds of millions debt we owe Iran.

Aspen Sun 17-Oct-21 10:27:38

We owe them the money so pay up but keep Johnson gagged, he has caused enough problems for that family.

Shropshirelass Sun 17-Oct-21 10:31:56

She is being used and there seems to be nothing that can be done! Most awful situation for her and her family. Let’s hope something happens soon so that she can return home. I fear that she will need a lot of help and support mentally, it must be such an ordeal.

henetha Sun 17-Oct-21 11:59:59

It's hard to imagine what this must be like for her. It's so absolutely dreadful. And for her family. I wish fervently that something can be done to bring her home.

trisher Sun 17-Oct-21 12:08:56

It seems there is a long running dispute about paying the money the UK owes Iran between the government and the MoD. So not only is she the pawn being played with by the UK and Iran she is subject to in fighting in this country. If the money had been paid and she had remained a prisoner at least it would be clearly the fault of the Iranians.

CleoPanda Sun 17-Oct-21 12:11:29

It’s cruel and frankly inhuman. It does indicate the depravity of the Iranian government. A human life is worthless to them when compared to money.

MayBee70 Sun 17-Oct-21 12:11:44

There are many things that make me loathe our current PM. But the thing that stands out is how his foolish comments have resulted in this poor woman remaining in prison. My heart goes out to her husband and child. Yes, I know there are other reasons for Iran to not release her but it just epitomises how he opens his mouth without engaging his brain. And yes, we owe that country money and we should pay it. I don’t you see how it can be seen as giving in to bribery when it is their money.

sodapop Sun 17-Oct-21 12:28:05

That poor woman being used as a pawn like this, no humanity shown anywhere.
Her whole family is suffering as well. Whatever needs doing to end this should be done now.

JenniferEccles Sun 17-Oct-21 18:25:56

As well as Nazanin there are other people of different nationalities held prisoner in Iran. The country doesn’t recognise dual nationality which obviously would make any attempt to get them released very difficult.

Much has been made of the fact that we apparently owe Iran a sum of money and it’s been claimed that if this sum was paid, Nazanin could be freed.

I can’t believe every other country is in the same position regarding a debt so it’s highly unlikely that would be enough to secure her release.

Dinahmo Sun 17-Oct-21 18:45:11

Yet another think not to thank Johnson for. I do hope that people remember all his faux pas when there's another election. It's shocking that her life can be bartered in this way.

JenniferEccles Sun 17-Oct-21 19:15:43

The PM is not responsible for Nazanin being in prison.

She was already there on some charge or other when he made his comment.

MayBee70 Sun 17-Oct-21 19:39:05

JenniferEccles

The PM is not responsible for Nazanin being in prison.

She was already there on some charge or other when he made his comment.

But he is responsible for her continuing to be there because his unfounded comments gave them a reason to keep her incarcerated. He was foreign secretary at the time and his comments were unforgivable. And yes, I do realise she was already in prison. That’s why his remarks make me even more angry.

Susie42 Mon 18-Oct-21 12:44:14

I lived in Iran just before the revolution and had problems when attempting to leave the country. Sadly it's very difficult to negotiate with Iranians as their mindset is very different to ours. Also much depends on whichever faction is in the ascendant as they hate to lose face.

eazybee Mon 18-Oct-21 15:27:11

The Iranian government is entirely responsible for the imprisonment and the dreadful cat and mouse emotional torture to which they are subjecting Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe.
Susie 42 's post is the truth of the matter, and only a fool would believe that if the money they claim is owed was paid to them this action would stop; they would simply find another victim.