Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC2 Wales

(19 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 20-Oct-21 19:06:52

Tonight at 11.15.

Aberfan The Fight For Justice

Not BBC 2, the murder of 116 children and 28 adults of no interest country wide.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 20-Oct-21 21:19:39

As one who lives in Scotland, I can understand exactly what you mean. As the anniversary of the Aberfan tragedy comes round again tomorrow, you would think that the programme might be of UK-wide interest. And why is it on so late?

flowers, Anniebach

Scones Wed 20-Oct-21 21:40:21

I'm in England. Please don't think we are not interested here. We've not forgotten and never will. I'm sorry this programme isn't on for all to see.

Shelflife Wed 20-Oct-21 21:49:09

It should be on national television. Like Scones I am in England and I will never forget what happened in Aberfan .

Anniebach Thu 21-Oct-21 11:18:48

Thank you

Grannmarie Thu 21-Oct-21 11:27:10

I agree with Shelflife, this should be on National BBC at 9pm.

I remember that day, absolutely heartbreaking. ?

Thinking of you, Anniebach, and all those affected by the Aberfan Disaster.
??? Love and prayers from Scotland.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Oct-21 11:49:41

Sorry, I put my post badly. I certainly didn't mean to imply that those in England would not be interested in the programme - of course they would. It's just that things which are primarily concerning the devolved nations are often relegated to minor slots, and the BBC should have thought more carefully before scheduling this one.

We were all affected by Aberfan and it is important that the younger generations should know what can happen and what can be done to prevent further tragedies and to help the victims.

Grannmarie Thu 21-Oct-21 13:11:10

Thinking of Pantglas too, I haven't "seen" her for a while, hope all is well .

Susan56 Thu 21-Oct-21 13:52:56

Been thinking of you today Annie?and agree the programme should be shown nationally.

Anniebach Thu 21-Oct-21 14:33:57

Thank you, the flowers from GransNet have been laid as in previous years x

Nonogran Thu 21-Oct-21 17:35:29

My partner is Welsh. Aberfan is not forgotten. Our hearts go out to those who lost dear ones . I agree, the programme is of national interest.

Anniebach Thu 21-Oct-21 18:27:25

Again thank you all, I know some are irritated with me bringing up what happened at Aberfan, we will never have justice but it mustn’t be forgotten . Not only for the deaths but
the corruption of a government and unions.

fairfraise Thu 21-Oct-21 18:47:59

It was dreadful. Every year I remember that time and the unfolding pictures and what they all went through.

PollyTickle Thu 21-Oct-21 19:33:59

It was a national tragedy and a national scandal. The programme should have been shown nationally. The whole nation, all of the United Kingdom.
Well done Annie for keeping it in the public conscience.
I have written to the BBC, hope others do the same.

Scones Thu 21-Oct-21 22:04:43

I've been wanting to tell you about my mum Annie because I hoped it would show the strength of feeling people hold about Aberfan.

My mum, despite not being involved in any way, was deeply saddened by the tragedy and often discussed it over the years. She shared the story with many young people who wouldn't have heard of the terrible losses otherwise. She had a series of strokes and most things disappeared from her mind in her last years. The memory of Aberfan stayed with her right up to her death even when she had forgotten almost everything else. People did and still do care very deeply.

Anniebach Thu 21-Oct-21 22:45:37

Thank you Scones so kind

Callistemon Thu 21-Oct-21 22:55:25

Anniebach

Thank you, the flowers from GransNet have been laid as in previous years x

Thank you Anniebach

I remember the shock of this so very clearly.

BBbevan Fri 22-Oct-21 19:41:04

Yes me too. These things are so very sad and just plain awful. Many of my family were involved in the Senghenydd disaster.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 19:53:16

A couple of years ago I mentioned to a young colleague of mine that it was the anniversary of Aberfan. He didn't know anything about it and when I explained what had happened, he was shocked and he couldn't believe it. He had young children and I think that made it very personal for him.

I don't want to detract in any way Annie, from the Aberfan disaster, but yesterday was the 50th anniversary of a gas explosion in a row of shops near Glasgow that killed 22 people and injured 100 more. My friend was there, but he walked away unhurt. Nobody was ever held responsible.

I think its incumbent on all of us to make sure nobody forgets about these things.