Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eustice bans foreign mineral waters ...

(214 Posts)
Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:50:07

to protect our own...

whilst they allow raw sewage to enter our waterways!!!

And then some here say that the EU is being petty. WTMF!

From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 17:54:27

You claim to be an environmentalist. I would think that you might be pleased that these plastic bottles won’t be coming to the uk.
Personally I’m over the moon ??? ?

Casdon Wed 27-Oct-21 18:00:20

Petty to the extreme on the Government’s part.

PollyTickle Wed 27-Oct-21 18:00:31

I seem to have managed without bottled water for 71 years so not really bothered for me but very happy for the environment.

Katie59 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:07:01

It’s a tit for tat threat over the shellfish ban, with all the sewage being discharged it’s hardly surprising, although why anyone buys foreign spring water when we have our own brands beats me.

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:09:45

The sooner we wean ourselves off bottled water and stop lining the pockets of the likes of Coca Cola, Nestlé, Danone etc the better. Plastic bottles are an environmental disaster and even the manufacture and use of glass bottles entirely unnecessary.
Hands up anybody who carried bottles of water around in their childhood.
(Yes the release of untreated sewage , not to mention agricultural chemicals into rivers was a major error, but we do not drink river water. )

Petera Wed 27-Oct-21 18:11:26

MerylStreep

You claim to be an environmentalist. I would think that you might be pleased that these plastic bottles won’t be coming to the uk.
Personally I’m over the moon ??? ?

Quite right; much better to use our own plastic bottles for our own mineral water instead.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:12:37

Casdon

Exactly! I never ever drink bottled water- and I would be quite happy for imports, especially those from the other side of the world- to stop. Sarcasm is lost on some people. This Government is allowing our waters to be heavily polluted with raw sewage- killing fish, shellfish and all wildlife, birds, otters ... and want to promote UK bottled water. Great advertising campaign!

Casdon, thanks for understanding what my post was about.

Calendargirl Wed 27-Oct-21 18:22:38

Yes MayBeMaw, we all seemed to grow up perfectly well without having a bottle of water always to hand. I know it is now accepted that it is good for us to drink more water, but do we have to have a bottle to hand when we pop to the shops, sit in church for an hour’s service, or keep having a top up when swimming for half an hour in the local pool?

All observed recently.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:28:02

Agreed- I have one special refill bottle. Easy enough.

However this was not the point of my post. But hey, ho - I am quite sure that people knowing how UK waters are being polluted with raw sewage will not be encouraged to switch to above. What do you think?

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:28:49

Do you think Eustice will ban Buxton and other UK waters... and their plastic bottles?

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:30:21

From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU
Speak for yourself, No great loss.
Eau du robinet is fine for me!

maddyone Wed 27-Oct-21 18:35:36

I’m perfectly happy to drink tap water but if I have bottled water, I’m happy to drink British bottled water. Far less pollution, it doesn’t have to travel so far.

Lincslass Wed 27-Oct-21 18:36:34

Casdon

Not really as petty as France threatening sanctions , cutting off power to Jersey, blockading tunnel. Who needs bottled water anyway, less plastic in my view the better.

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:39:05

And then some here say that the EU is being petty. WTMF ?
What does the “M” stand for?
I have heard of WTF, WTAF and MILF - I hope there is no connection with that shock

Lincslass Wed 27-Oct-21 18:39:11

Kali2

Do you think Eustice will ban Buxton and other UK waters... and their plastic bottles?

Why should he. Less bottles to recycle once imports are stopped.

Petera Wed 27-Oct-21 18:41:58

Calendargirl

Yes MayBeMaw, we all seemed to grow up perfectly well without having a bottle of water always to hand. I know it is now accepted that it is good for us to drink more water, but do we have to have a bottle to hand when we pop to the shops, sit in church for an hour’s service, or keep having a top up when swimming for half an hour in the local pool?

All observed recently.

The answer to all of the above is, as I am sure you're saying yourself, is 'no'. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that drinking when you're not thirsty is of any benefit, unless you happen to have a small range of illnesses. Even the original 1945 study that started this myth states that most of the water you need will come from food.

And don’t get me started on ‘flushing toxins’, we all have these things called kidneys that filter about 180 litres of blood a day or, to put another way, your entire blood supply every 40 minutes. An extra couple of litres of water makes no difference.

The only point of caution that I’d raise is that, in some older people (are there any of those around here?) your sense of thirst may not function properly.

So drink lots of water if you want to, but it’s a personal preference.

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 18:46:52

I think something got lost in translation sarcasm ?
I think you mean irony.

fairfraise Wed 27-Oct-21 18:47:40

Well it won't bother me. I never buy bottled water. Can't see the point of it. I do fill up a small plastic bottle if I'm out for a long day in hot weather.

Kali2 Wed 27-Oct-21 18:48:03

Lincslass

Kali2

Why should he. Less bottles to recycle once imports are stopped.

The intention is for people to switch to UK bottled waters. How will that create less bottles?

Maw - massive, dear, massive!

MaizieD Wed 27-Oct-21 18:48:22

It's all a bit petty, isn't it?

But that's fine so long as the chemicals used to keep our drinking water pure keep flowing...

Though I think the younger generations are going to be a bit bereft. They cannot go anywhere without clutching a bottle of water...

The shellfish ban was our own fault entirely for leaving the EU and becoming a third country to which third country rules apply. No unpurified live shellfish from 3rd countries can be imported into the EU. The UK was the EU country that insisted on this rule. The UK is now a third country. What did all you Leavers think you were voting for, FGS?

I can't face the thought of eating UK harvested shellfish now, though...

AviaParva Wed 27-Oct-21 18:48:45

Kali2

to protect our own...

whilst they allow raw sewage to enter our waterways!!!

And then some here say that the EU is being petty. WTMF!

From 7 January, all those waters you know and love, Evian, San Pelegríno etc etc will be no more in the UK - Eustice has sent notification to this effect to the EU.

They haven’t been banned. There are new import controls.

growstuff Wed 27-Oct-21 18:49:13

Keeping hydrated is beneficial for diabetics. The best way to do that is by drinking water because it contains no carbohydrates.

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:49:21

Maw - massive, dear, massive

Really?

MayBeMaw Wed 27-Oct-21 18:51:41

Growstuff nobody is arguing against adequate hydration.
However it is perfectly possible to drink (tap) water out of a glass with meals or whenever without clutching a plastic bottle at all times.