Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keeping Royal Secrets

(360 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 09:57:51

We are often told on here that despite the financial or democratic problems with the system, having a Royal Family provides continuity and something to fall back in in times of crisis, such as pandemics. So what do we think of this quote from the Sunday Herald this morning, regarding whether certain Royal papers should be released. In this case it should be noted that the papers already belong to belong to the tax payer but we’re not allowed to see the content.

Protecting the dignity of the Queen and working members of the royal family by protecting their privacy in truly private matters preserves their ability to discharge their duties in their fundamental and central constitutional role, not least of unifying the nations (as was seen during the depths of the current pandemic). Roger Smethurst, head of knowledge and information at the Cabinet Office.

On other words, if we know what they were really like in private, we’d never be taken in by their idealised images. They need to keep some things secret because they don’t fit with the image they want to portray.

Thoughts?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:17:30

Duke of Edinburgh’s will is another case in point.

Yammy Sun 21-Nov-21 10:22:03

The first thing I would say is how did the Royal family help in the Pandemic crisis? Front line workers ,Dr's ,nurses , Supermarket workers, local communities , pharmacies yes.
The Royals took off to what they thought was their safe country seats, perhaps Prince Andrew was a decoy to stop us all wondering where they were and up to.
No one should be allowed immunity from public scrutiny, except perhaps the political refugees from Afghanistan.
The rest of us aren't so why should they.

Chestnut Sun 21-Nov-21 10:26:39

There are lots of things which are not released for a number of years. Why do you want to nose into their private matters? Everyone is entitled to some privacy.

Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:29:02

Why would anyone be interested in what is in the Duke of Edinburgh's Will?

Anniebach Sun 21-Nov-21 10:31:22

What truly private matters ? Wanting to know about their private life ? Know what ?

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:33:40

I don't have much interest in the sex life of someone who died 40 years ago, or his responsibility for the disastrous partition of India or his habit of piloting Navy ships into inanimate objects.

I do have an interest in a future monarch trying to keep this secret for his own ends when the person it refers to wasn't even part of the RF.

Iam64 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:34:27

I’m ok with ordinary people like me as well as the RF having some privacy
Celebs and so called influencers seem to want to live every aspect of they’d lives in public.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:36:57

This is not about them having secrets, as such. Its about them keeping things hidden and using the government and courts to do it, when us knowing those things might make us question whether they are up to the job.

maddyone Sun 21-Nov-21 10:37:56

I suppose it rather depends on what it is that’s being protected. I think the royals should receive no more and generally speaking, no less privacy than the rest of us. There may be exceptions to this, if their privacy hides privileges that the rest of us don’t receive.

maddyone Sun 21-Nov-21 10:38:47

Alegrias1

This is not about them having secrets, as such. Its about them keeping things hidden and using the government and courts to do it, when us knowing those things might make us question whether they are up to the job.

Yes, absolutely.

AGAA4 Sun 21-Nov-21 10:45:46

I believe there's a lot that is kept hidden about the Royal Family and maybe some things should be open to scrutiny.
I have never had an idealised view of them.

Anniebach Sun 21-Nov-21 10:52:56

But what secrets ?

Chewbacca Sun 21-Nov-21 10:55:00

I'm not much interested in the RF, perhaps with the exception of PA, who I believe should have to face the consequences of his past "private life". But for truly private matters; I suspect that most of us wouldn't want our family's private matters to be known by the world and his dog either; veryone has the right to some privacy. And why on earth are you interested in knowing the contents of someone's will? Did you think you'd have been a beneficiary and want to check?

eazybee Sun 21-Nov-21 11:03:29

I am perfectly content with their public image and role and have little interest in their private lives. I don't idolise them.

That applies to my view of most people in the public eye, royal or not.

Anniebach Sun 21-Nov-21 11:05:56

The thought of them all doing a Diana, a Fergie or a Harry , yuck

Rekarie Sun 21-Nov-21 11:06:49

eazybee

I am perfectly content with their public image and role and have little interest in their private lives. I don't idolise them.

That applies to my view of most people in the public eye, royal or not.

Ditto

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:06:50

Oldwoman70

Well that isn’t the point. The law says that everyone’s will is public property EXCEPT the Sovereigns.

They should be upholders if the law as it is all done in the Sovereigns name.

Happiyogi Sun 21-Nov-21 11:09:41

Oldwoman70

I wasn’t. Until I learned that it’s to be kept secret for 90 years!

AGAA4 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:11:21

I don't think this is about their day to day private lives as I for one am not interested.

Smileless2012 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:17:36

Same here eazybee and Rekarie.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:18:10

Their day to day privacy is really of no interest to most people, except those in GN??? where it is explored in minute detail, whether based on fact or not.

But there are some things that are necessary to know because it is a constitutional monarchy that rules by consent of the people. Law is passed and carried out in the sovereigns name/consent. By-passing/doing a deal against current legislation is not particularly constitutional, but it seems to be the way the U.K. is going these days.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:24:11

This is not about whether anyone is interested in their secrets.

To paraphrase what the Cabinet Office official said:

There are things in this diary, a diary which belongs to the University of Southampton and was sold to them by Louis Mountbatten, that the RF would rather you didn't know because if you did know you might think that they are not suitable for the job they do.

In other words, we're going to keep you in the dark and feed you... well, you know.

www.theweek.co.uk/news/uk-news/954856/what-is-inside-buried-mountbatten-diaries

lemsip Sun 21-Nov-21 11:31:20

Alegrias1

is your own life boring?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 21-Nov-21 11:33:59

Someone’s diary entries are events/conversations etc. observed from their perspective in this case Louis Mountbatten. Not necessarily an all round unbiased account.

Most families have skeletons in the cupboard, I think that’s where they should stay.

(Prince Andrew’s case is different inasmuch as he is being asked by a court of law to give his side of the story in part of a criminal case)