Gransnet forums

News & politics

Go Barbados ?

(109 Posts)
Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 19:18:54

Taking a step into the future.

www.ctvnews.ca/world/a-new-republic-is-born-barbados-celebrates-ditching-queen-as-head-of-state-1.5678942

CraftyGranny Sun 28-Nov-21 19:30:30

I bet that made your day!

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 19:37:41

It’s not dead yet though Alegrias1, the Maldives joined only last year?

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 19:43:17

Casdon

It’s not dead yet though Alegrias1, the Maldives joined only last year?

?

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 19:45:25

thecommonwealth.org/media/news/maldives-becomes-54th-member-commonwealth-family

Jabberwok Sun 28-Nov-21 19:50:01

And Rawanda in 2009 and Zimbabwe has formally applied to rejoin.

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 19:50:39

The Commonwealth is actually quite an interesting entity these days, I think the previous most recent joiner was Rwanda, which had no links with the UK colonially. They get something out of it more than a Royal connection.

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 19:51:44

A country doesn't have to leave the Commonwealth just because it becomes a republic. 33 of the countries in the Commonwealth are republics. Including India.

I like the idea of a commonwealth. It's hereditary monarchies I'm not so keen on.

CraftyGranny Sun 28-Nov-21 19:52:28

Casdon wine cheers

CraftyGranny Sun 28-Nov-21 20:00:32

You have made it quite clear Alegrias that you don't like our Monarchy in lots of previous posts.
Why start another thread?

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 20:01:21

The Queen is the Head of the Commonwealth, which as far as I know none of the countries of the commonwealth has challenged, as Charles has already been designated as her successor. No longer having her as the sovereign doesn’t change the responsibility as Head of the Commonwealth, I don’t think a former colony becoming a republic changes anything unless I’m missing something?

Grany Sun 28-Nov-21 20:02:03

Alegrias1

Taking a step into the future.

www.ctvnews.ca/world/a-new-republic-is-born-barbados-celebrates-ditching-queen-as-head-of-state-1.5678942

The commonwealth should ditch the Royals as only a few countries have monarchy Royals keep well Done Barbados I think Jamaica will be next smile

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:05:00

CraftyGranny

You have made it quite clear Alegrias that you don't like our Monarchy in lots of previous posts.
Why start another thread?

I beg your pardon?

I can start threads about anything I like and if you're not interested you don't have to read them.

The Commonwealth aspect had never occurred to me Casdon. I admire a country that realises it doesn't need to rely on a hereditary monarchy. I like the fact that countries are making constitutional decisions that suit themselves.

Keeper1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:06:26

When I was in St Lucia quite a lot of the locals I chatted to bemoaned leaving.

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 20:11:18

I think in terms of what the Queen has achieved during her reign, the nurturing and growth of the commonwealth is the single most important aspect Alegrias1.

Grany Sun 28-Nov-21 20:16:46

There is going to be protest tomorrow in Barbados when Charles goes there. He should be apologising about the monarchies role in slavery but he won't.

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:22:40

Casdon

I think in terms of what the Queen has achieved during her reign, the nurturing and growth of the commonwealth is the single most important aspect Alegrias1.

Well that's good Casdon.

But clearly being a monarchy has got nothing to do with being in the Commonwealth any more.

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 20:31:26

I think about half the countries in the commonwealth have the Queen as sovereign, and some countries have joined as republics. However, it was developed by her father and nurtured by her, so it’s certainly a proud achievement, which is valued by the members, and which Charles will continue.

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:33:22

Keeper1

When I was in St Lucia quite a lot of the locals I chatted to bemoaned leaving.

St Lucia is still in the Commonwealth, always has been I think...

Grany Sun 28-Nov-21 20:37:46

Lalu Hanuman, of the 13th June 1980 Movement, said: “A lot of people don’t realise the linkages between the Royal Family and slavery. Their hands are mired in it. And a substantial amount of their wealth came from it.”

“Kensington Palace was directly built off of the slave trade by King William III. Before that Elizabeth I granted a royal charter to Sir John Hawkins and provided him with ships for the slave trade. She also gave him his own coat of arms, which depicted a chained African person.”

The slave trade resulted in 12million African people being snatched from their countries. Five million were taken to the Caribbean, including 600,000 to Barbados. And their deaths ran into the millions.

After the vile trade was abolished in 1833, ex-slave owners, including relatives of the royals, were compensated. But the slaves got nothing.

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:38:01

Casdon

I think about half the countries in the commonwealth have the Queen as sovereign, and some countries have joined as republics. However, it was developed by her father and nurtured by her, so it’s certainly a proud achievement, which is valued by the members, and which Charles will continue.

33 out of 54 countries are republics.

Its a great achievement, granted. But its really got nothing to do with Barbados becoming a republic. confused

I thought I would see some interesting posts on this thread but I never thought we'd spend most of it talking about the Commonwealth. Charles will continue it, BTW, because the Queen let it be known that she wanted it to be him. Who would argue with a well-respected elderly lady?

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 20:44:17

Sorry if I diverted it away from your original intent Alegrias1. I’ve always thought the Queen’s role as Head of the Commonwealth was more important than her role as sovereign of former colonies, so I really didn’t see any news in Barbados becoming a republic, whereas if they had left the commonwealth I would have been shocked. We all see the world differently I guess.

Grany Sun 28-Nov-21 20:48:20

Today there are 44 monarchies in the world, 16 of them with the Queen as their head of state. On November 30 this year there will be 43 monarchies, 15 of them with the Queen as their head of state. One day it'll be zero and zero.

Alegrias1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:50:08

No worries Casdon, I really am surprised at the focus on the Commonwealth here.

I had a look at the Commonwealth website and I must say that the role of the Head of the Commonwealth doesn't seem to be a key item for them. I understand that it was a major achievement for the Queen but I'm yet to be convinced that countries who want to join do so in order to have some of the Royal glitz rub off on them.

I had not noticed that Barbados are leaving the Commonwealth, seriously. For me its a much bigger deal that they want to be a republic.

Casdon Sun 28-Nov-21 20:50:42

That’s true Grany, she’s 95!