Gransnet forums

News & politics

Djokovic’s visa cancelled again

(112 Posts)
Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:10:52

Australia intends to deport him.

Thoughts?

Sparklefizz Fri 14-Jan-22 07:12:43

It's good. The Aussies are enforcing their rules.

Calendargirl Fri 14-Jan-22 07:17:19

What a fuss. If he wants to compete globally, he ought to get his vaccinations.

The End.

Grammaretto Fri 14-Jan-22 07:18:58

It maybe for his own safety. The noise of protestors on court would be more disruptive than that of protestors off court.

Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:19:41

I wish they had deported him first time round. Now it seems rather spiteful but I agree they needed to take a stand. Still seems a bit petty.

mokryna Fri 14-Jan-22 07:24:33

Good, it isn’t because you can hit a ball you can think you are different to everyone else.
Well done the Australian government for upholding the laws of the country,

Jaxjacky Fri 14-Jan-22 07:24:55

Good, I’d imagine they’ve spent time ensuring their grounds are watertight in case he appeals again.

Spice101 Fri 14-Jan-22 07:27:11

This will cost us dearly. I think it makes our Government look really bad.
He should not have been issued a visa in the first place but someone screwed up.
No doubt this will be back in court tonight and I bet he gets an exemption from being deported immediately.

karmalady Fri 14-Jan-22 07:30:47

yes, he did not tell the truth on his visa form. Had been to spain. He will be lucky to be deported and avoid prison

wendyann23 Fri 14-Jan-22 07:54:10

Always had a soft spot for Novak but think he needs to learn that he is not above the law. I respect his choice not be be vaccinated, although I don’t agree with his decision. But he has to live with the consequences and think the Australian govt is right to deport him. Think he would have faced a lot of boos, jeers and protests if he played which would be very disruptive for the tournament. Interesting to see what will happen at the French Open and Wimbledon!

Grannynannywanny Fri 14-Jan-22 08:03:49

He is an arrogant man so full of his own importance that he thinks the rules of the country don’t apply to him. Then he’s very economical with the truth when caught out. We have a trio of such men neck and neck for the breaking news spot in recent days.

Grandmagrim Fri 14-Jan-22 08:20:00

Good

eazybee Fri 14-Jan-22 08:23:03

Good.

Sarnia Fri 14-Jan-22 08:24:55

It's been a bit of a mess all round. Pity the visa was granted in the first place. Countries need to enforce their rules on anyone trying to find a loophole in them, famous or not.

JenniferEccles Fri 14-Jan-22 08:41:21

I was so pleased to read this but unfortunately it’s said he could still launch another legal challenge.
Hopefully though that was anticipated, and the timing of the announcement was carefully planned.

AGAA4 Fri 14-Jan-22 08:46:19

I get fed up with all these 'important' people who are so arrogant that they think they are exempt from rules imposed on the rest of us.

Boz Fri 14-Jan-22 08:55:03

AGAA4

I get fed up with all these 'important' people who are so arrogant that they think they are exempt from rules imposed on the rest of us.

This tiredness with people who flout the rules - usually wealthy or politically powerful - is becoming apparent in Society.
A pandemic is very dispiriting with so many people suffering deprivations that anger is felt for those who try to float above it all, using power and position.

lavendermine Fri 14-Jan-22 09:43:56

Another "do you know who I am" - arrogant man.

Grannybags Fri 14-Jan-22 09:47:15

Good. His legal team are going to appeal though

I feel sorry for the people trying to organise the order of play!

Hetty58 Fri 14-Jan-22 09:49:29

It's reassuring to know that the rules apply to everyone - as they should.

Franbern Fri 14-Jan-22 09:57:27

Spice do not think it makes Aussie government look bad. Rather the opposite. They are seen as taking a stand to enforce the rules they have in place against someone who, arrogantly, seems to think that they can be an exception.

Obviously, visa should never have been granted in first place, but probably his legal team worded that application carefully enough to cover the truth.

Do wonder how he will be received when (as he says he intends to do), he comes for Wimbledon later this year. He would fit in very well with UK government with his lies, etc.

maddyone Fri 14-Jan-22 10:04:56

I hope if he decides to appeal that his appeal will fail.

maddyone Fri 14-Jan-22 10:06:58

AGAA4

So do I AGAA4. All these examples from this week alone, Djokovic, Prince Andrew, and the shenanigans at number 10.

Kim19 Fri 14-Jan-22 10:21:10

Wish they had turned him around and sent him packing on day one of his arrival but now I think they're stringing this out to make time for an appeal impossible.

Gwyneth Fri 14-Jan-22 10:21:11

I suspect his appeal will be successful and that this second refusal to give him a visa is just to appease the strong feelings Australians have about him being allowed to enter the country in the first place. This decision is just political. I have absolutely no respect left for Djokovic. He is an arrogant man who thinks he is above the law.