Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wonderful News - No more face masks

(284 Posts)
LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 13:35:32

That's made my day! I'm delighted and relieved.

At last, some sense from the government. Roll on 26th Jan.

kittylester Wed 19-Jan-22 13:37:17

Not sure it is completely good news.

dragonfly46 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:38:54

I will still be wearing mine!

Casdon Wed 19-Jan-22 13:39:12

It’s too soon, the scientific evidence to support the decision is needed.

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 13:39:36

What ? I understood no more for school students. Surely we are keeping them in shops etc.
I will be wearing mine. It’s the minimum we can do and no hardship.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:40:33

Oh how wonderful to be free to go around infecting other people…

AGAA4 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:43:43

I will carry on wearing mine.
The virus hasn't gone away and it is not mild illness.

This is more about Johnson trying to regain some popularity.

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jan-22 13:44:35

4 years ago, before covid I was sitting on a plane with a woman next but one to me, empty seat in between, who spent the whole time coughing and spluttering. The next day I felt my chest tightening and I was heading for a bout of bronchitis which lasted 3 weeks and 2 bouts of antibiotics. This is why we should continue to wear masks on public transport.

Just remember all the colds that spread through offices and the people who came into work looking sometimes like death warmed up.

joannapiano Wed 19-Jan-22 13:44:49

DH has a compromised immune system from cancer treatment over the last two years, so I think we will still wear our masks for a little while longer.

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:46:46

I heard on r4 news earlier this morning that face masks are to stay. I am ok with that and despite not finding them comfortable will continue using them. It surely makes sense.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:47:15

I think the OP is a bit optimistic.

LilacChaser Wed 19-Jan-22 13:48:07

Don't be silly, MayBee70. They don't work and it is socially irresponsible to perpetuate the myth that they in any way make people safer by wearing them.

AGAA4 Most people would like to retain them so this has nothing to do with Boris's popularity.

Charleygirl5 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:50:44

In my area only 50% are fully vaccinated. I will still be wearing mine in shops and supermarkets and especially public transport.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:51:51

silverlining48

I heard on r4 news earlier this morning that face masks are to stay. I am ok with that and despite not finding them comfortable will continue using them. It surely makes sense.

Face masks will no longer be mandatory as restrictions of plan B life next week
But of course face masks can stay if you choose to wear one

silverlining48 Wed 19-Jan-22 13:52:36

I don’t think it’s sense Lilac, it’s BJ trying to get public opinion onside, so he can say he ‘Got Masks Gone.’ Or some such nonsense. I for one am not impressed. .

MerylStreep Wed 19-Jan-22 13:53:58

I won’t be wearing one ever again.

LilacChaser
They do make a lot of people feel safe. If they want to carry on, that’s their right. It’s my right not to have to wear one.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 19-Jan-22 13:57:55

I will continue to wear a mask in shops and other public indoor spaces. The attitude of people like the OP is frightening. Cases may be reducing but covid hasn’t gone away and I doubt omicron will be the last variant to surface. I would like to hear something of the scientific advice behind the complete abandonment of restrictions. I fear it has more to do with Boris’s position in the popularity stakes than science.

Blondiescot Wed 19-Jan-22 14:01:34

silverlining48

I don’t think it’s sense Lilac, it’s BJ trying to get public opinion onside, so he can say he ‘Got Masks Gone.’ Or some such nonsense. I for one am not impressed. .

I agree. I don't think it applies to Scotland anyway, thank god. I'd be happy to carry on wearing one in public full stop. Never understood why people object to them.
And if they don't work, why do medical professionals have to wear them in the normal course of their work (including pre-Covid)? I prefer to listen to the real scientific experts, not someone on social media who suddenly seems to think they know better than those with years of experience in the field.

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 14:01:42

LilacChaser

Don't be silly, MayBee70. They don't work and it is socially irresponsible to perpetuate the myth that they in any way make people safer by wearing them.

AGAA4 Most people would like to retain them so this has nothing to do with Boris's popularity.

What is your evidence that they don’t work ?

I think it’s you that silly frankly

AGAA4 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:02:03

LilacChaser

I don't think most people will want to retain face masks if they are not mandatory.
Lessening of restrictions is to get people onside. Doctors and nurses are on their knees so not sure this is the right thing to do at this time.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 19-Jan-22 14:02:43

?????? Lucca.

rosie1959 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:04:53

Germanshepherdsmum

I will continue to wear a mask in shops and other public indoor spaces. The attitude of people like the OP is frightening. Cases may be reducing but covid hasn’t gone away and I doubt omicron will be the last variant to surface. I would like to hear something of the scientific advice behind the complete abandonment of restrictions. I fear it has more to do with Boris’s position in the popularity stakes than science.

We didn’t wear face masks before Omicron came to light now cases are reducing they are now no longer covered by mandatory regulations. Everyone who chooses to continue is quite free to do so
All restrictions are now planned to be removed by the end of March including isolation rules
Omicron may or not be the last variant to surface there may be others they may be even less severe but we cannot stop the emergence to normal life just in case there is another variant

Parsley3 Wed 19-Jan-22 14:05:55

I hope that people who won’t wear masks are being mindful of social distancing. I respect their choice in indoor spaces but I expect them to keep their distance in return and respect my choice to give them a wide berth.

Grannynannywanny Wed 19-Jan-22 14:06:25

LilacChaser

Don't be silly, MayBee70. They don't work and it is socially irresponsible to perpetuate the myth that they in any way make people safer by wearing them

Yippee, I’m off to text my daughter to let her know. She’s on a 12 hour shift in a very busy hospital and needs to wear a mask throughout her shift every day. She and her colleagues will be delighted to know they can bin them as they don’t serve any purpose.

Petera Wed 19-Jan-22 14:08:30

LilacChaser

"Darling, come and see this! I've just found something on the internet that all the scientists have missed'