Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this a new problem for Johnson?

(10 Posts)
MaizieD Thu 20-Jan-22 11:11:33

William Wragg, MP, Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Select Committee, made a statement at the Committee yesterday claiming that MPs suspected by the whips of submitting, or thinking of submitting, letters to the 1922 Committee are being blackmailed by threatening to withdraw funding from their constituencies, and that there appears to be a campaign orchestrated by 10 Downing St, and Ministers, to get damaging stories about them published by the press.

Video of Wragg's full statement can be viewed on this link.

twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1484111201562939398

This is interesting because Wragg is, according to Wikipedia, a member of the hard right group which is presently in control of the government.

Following an interim report on the connections between colonialism and properties now in the care of the National Trust, including links with historic slavery, Wragg was among the signatories of a letter to The Telegraph from the "Common Sense Group" of Conservative Parliamentarians. The letter accused the National Trust of being "coloured by cultural Marxist dogma, colloquially known as the 'woke agenda'".[17]

In 2020, Wragg became a "lockdown rebel" and a steering committee member of the lockdown-sceptic COVID Recovery Group alongside a group of Conservatives who opposed the UK government's December 2020 lockdown.[18] They have been[by whom?] seen as an "echo" of the Brexiteer European Research Group (ERG) of MPs, and a response by backbench Conservatives to Nigel Farage's anti-lockdown Reform UK party.[18]

So Johnson is being assailed by both the hard right and the disgruntled 'red wall' MPs who are furious because their constituencies aren't being 'levelled up'.. (And goodness knows who else..)

If the hard right are after Johnson I'm not sure where he can hide...

(Saw a suggestion on twitter this morning that Johnson might solve his problem by crossing the floor to the Labour benches grin )

MaizieD Thu 20-Jan-22 11:12:24

Sorry, forgot to post the Wikipedia link

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wragg

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:14:37

WW2 has a post on this already (Has our country ever been in such a state?)

MaizieD Thu 20-Jan-22 11:20:25

Hetty58

WW2 has a post on this already (Has our country ever been in such a state?)

She must have posted while I was composing mine...

Never mind...

Kali2 Thu 20-Jan-22 13:36:32

And the e-mails warning the PM against the parties in May, which he totally denied existed, in the House of C, have been found.

Won't be long now.

MayBee70 Thu 20-Jan-22 14:04:53

Going back to things that we’ve all read about that Johnson has done in his past, why would anyone assume that a government led by him would be any different to what we appear to have now? But, no matter what we were told about Johnson, all many people could see was his bumbling clown like facade. I think the mask has well and truly slipped now.

Pammie1 Thu 20-Jan-22 14:16:16

Saw this reported on lunchtime news. Apparently one MP was threatened with having the funding for a new high school in his constituency withdrawn. Numerous other claims too.

If Boris lied about the warning emails it wasn’t particularly bright - he should have known if they existed they would surface eventually.

The hard right will have a field day if Boris goes. Expect small state - austerity, benefit and pubic service cuts, higher council tax.

LilacChaser Thu 20-Jan-22 14:41:26

I don't know.

This all seems to be turning into a witchhunt. I'm not comfortable with this.

And, of course, the media are in their element.

Curlywhirly Thu 20-Jan-22 14:56:42

It's not really a whichunt though is it? Nobody needs to hunt for anything - this Government's mistakes and Johnson's lies are now made public on a daily basis, and not always via investigative journalists either. If they acted with integrity and obeyed the law, there would be nothing to report. Corruption needs to be exposed, not brushed under the carpet.

Coastpath Thu 20-Jan-22 15:39:16

I agree exactly with what Curlywhirly said.

If every day a new scandal can be found, every day, a new credible accusation of wrongdoing then that's not a hunt, that's just wandering around picking obvious, available low hanging fruit. Often now it seems the person picking the fruit is someone who is in on their own team.