Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian massing on the Ukrainian border

(543 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 21-Jan-22 10:30:08

So while our government is debating on what constitutes a party, how many parties may have been held a couple of years ago, there's a terrible threat to world peace going on at the edge of Europe. Anybody else noticed?

Galaxy Fri 21-Jan-22 10:33:59

Yes I have noticed. I can think of more than one thing at once though, I am hoping the government has the ability to do the same but there may be no guarantee of that.

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Jan-22 10:34:59

I think the government is waiting for Sue Grey

Whitewavemark2 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:35:07

Yes I have - with increasing alarm.

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:35:28

It is massively worrying. And the fact that the UK, now totally isolated from its European Allies and partners, is now sending arm to Ukraine- is beyond dangerous.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:39:09

What worries me more, I think, is that the EU has been a party to much of this (no pun intended) but is now ignoring the threat apart from warning Russia.

British troops and anti-tank weapons have been sent to Ukraine, training their troops.

We only hear what the media want us to hear ie partygate, Cummingsville.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:40:15

Kali2

It is massively worrying. And the fact that the UK, now totally isolated from its European Allies and partners, is now sending arm to Ukraine- is beyond dangerous.

The EU?

Having caused this they now pull back!

Kali2 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:41:15

The EU has been a party to much of this ?!?

What do you mean. Can you explain this statement, please.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 10:43:53

Callistemon21

What worries me more, I think, is that the EU has been a party to much of this (no pun intended) but is now ignoring the threat apart from warning Russia.

British troops and anti-tank weapons have been sent to Ukraine, training their troops.

We only hear what the media want us to hear ie partygate, Cummingsville.

Indeed. We are being fed partygate morning, noon, and night, and I’m fed up of hearing about it. It is not the most impossible thing in the news at the moment, Ukraine is the most important thing. It is potentially catastrophic for the world.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:46:27

The U.K. flights to supply arms to Ukraine did not fly in German Airspace as Germany did not want to do anything to jeopardise their gas pipeline from Russia.

It is also being reported that a small number of U.K. troops have been deployed also.

It’s time the U.K. media stopped focusing on partygate and reported on other things.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:48:48

Callistemon2 sorry by the time I typed my post (have sleeping GC on my lap) I see you have posted similar

Ilovecheese Fri 21-Jan-22 10:51:11

I think we should stay out of it. Let's not be dragged into another American adventure.

eazybee Fri 21-Jan-22 10:52:43

An article about Russia and Ukraine was number 53 in my online Telegraph; the first five articles concerned Party gate; the BBC seem to make it their lead story every night.
One morning we shall wake up to hear the tanks have rolled in, possibly Ukraine and very likely elsewhere as well.
I remember Hungary, and the Prague Spring.

Pepper59 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:54:41

Don't expect the EU to do anything, the silence has been deafening. I don't think the UK government has even noticed. Yes, it's worrying but apart from someone waking up the PM and the rest of them, nothing can be done. Germany has sent a minister out to see what can be done. That's all I know. The Ukrainian Ambassador was on television recently, he's the only politician that seems worried. What's the point in us worrying about it? Except as in that famous quote from Game of Thrones, men go to war while politicians talk ( don't know if thats it exact) but very true. Compared to President Putin, our PM seems to be dozing.

Pepper59 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:57:50

Ilove Cheeses- stay out of it? Seriously? Do you think President Putin will give us the choice? The amount of Russian aircraft and submarines our forces keep finding off our coastlines and in our airspace. Yeah, we can keep out of it.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 10:59:33

I don't think the UK government has even noticed

Well, of course they have otherwise we wouldn't be there, not in any defence capacity of course, but training.

I hope this doesn't escalate but it's not new. Russia does not want Ukraine to become European as it would see it as a threat.

I remember Hungary, and the Prague Spring. I remember too and of course Hungary a a member of the EU now.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 10:59:48

I agree Ilove geese, I most certainly do not want the UK to be dragged into it. We’re barely out of Afghanistan and now we’re sending troops to Estonia, Poland, and even a few into Ukraine apparently. This really should be front page news, and the first item on every news bulletin in my opinion. Instead we’ve got partygate, partygate, partygate non stop.

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 11:01:31

Sorry Ilovecheese typo.

Daisymae Fri 21-Jan-22 11:37:38

I think 'waiting for Sue' is going to go into the English language. I doubt there will be military action but with this lot squaring up there's room for accidental engagement and all that entails. Having said that a cyber war could be extremely damaging and Europe does get a lot of gas from Russia. Whoever thought that depending on Russian for a vital energy supply was a good idea?

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:40:02

Whoever thought that depending on Russian for a vital energy supply was a good idea?

They are the world's second largest supplier - we're producing alternatives but too slowly.

Annaram1 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:46:49

I have to look at RT (Russia Today) on the TV to f ind any news about Ukraine and of course they deny it. Why doesn't our BBC report on this important matter instead of our government's silly parties? What is more important?

AGAA4 Fri 21-Jan-22 11:48:51

The Ukraine situation was the top story on the BBC website today.
Very worrying situation when our government is in disarray. Not a great time for a PM to be under scrutiny.

Yammy Fri 21-Jan-22 12:30:02

Europeans seem to have short memories, or maybe our parents and grandparents who had to fight in wars made us aware of Russian aggression.
They want their Empire back and widen their sphere of influence again. They see an opportunity when others are involved with Covid or Conservative party infighting.
To start with Biden seemed an isolationist but at last, he at least has spoken. We have sent armaments and some soldiers. We will have to see who else comes to the Ukrainian aide.
The Germans never will they want their Russian gas.
No one wants conflict or to be drawn into a war by the Americans, though do we sit and watch until the Russians are in Berlin again?

MerylStreep Fri 21-Jan-22 12:43:22

Good lord, is there something really important going on in the world other than the question: did Boris or did Boris not attend a party.
Where’s the sarcastic emoji ?
The Germans are not coming out of this smelling of Roses. I see Merkels finger print all over their attitude.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jan-22 12:51:01

We've known for quite a long while that something is afoot as the RAF and USAF have been training over the Wash far more intensively. And I fear Ukraine is the something.

When I was younger and lived nearby, it used to be that planes would start piling in to RAF Coltishall (now closed) long before any likely conflict. Something nasty usually developed. Posturing training exercises sound alarm bells now.

Al Jezerra is pretty good for news!