Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss' £500,000 (plus) flight to Aus on private jet. Paid for by UK tax payers.

(125 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 13:13:31

Foreign secretary Liz Truss flew by private jet to Australia at a cost of over half-a-million pounds to the taxpayer because she chose not to use scheduled business-class flights.

Rather than travelling from London to Sydney on one of the daily Qantas departures, Ms Truss insisted on flying the 22,000 miles to, from and within Australia on the private government Airbus A321.

uk.yahoo.com/news/liz-truss-flew-private-jet-112832704.html

MaizieD Thu 27-Jan-22 13:19:58

Why not? After all, Johnson spent £1,000s on getting them rebadged (I wonder if Lulu Lytle designed the interiors hmm ) We can't let such an expensive giant w*llie stand idle can we? I'm sure it really impresses the Australians...

It's not as if the government is serious about wasting public money, or climate change, after all. They've got more important things to worry about (like, how to avoid upsetting their Russian friends and donors in the current Ukraine stand off)

CoolCoco Thu 27-Jan-22 13:21:36

www.express.co.uk/news/world/1554738/australia-paul-keating-britain-united-kingdom-liz-truss-china-latest-news-ont

An ex PM of Australia called her "deluded" and 'demented", so she obviously made a good impression.

Aveline Thu 27-Jan-22 13:46:42

An ex PM

Lincslass Thu 27-Jan-22 13:48:27

CoolCoco

www.express.co.uk/news/world/1554738/australia-paul-keating-britain-united-kingdom-liz-truss-china-latest-news-ont

An ex PM of Australia called her "deluded" and 'demented", so she obviously made a good impression.

Ex PM for a reason I say.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 13:53:44

Thatcher was an ex-PM once. So was Churchill.

I don't think saying Keating is an ex-PM is really a valid criticism, is it?

Baggs Thu 27-Jan-22 14:08:43

If there exists a government airbus why shouldn't a senior member of government use it?

Whether one likes the particular member of government is beside the point.

eazybee Thu 27-Jan-22 14:26:21

And I assume she didn't travel in splendid isolation; there would be a team with her, and other government officials.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:39:42

CoolCoco

He's Dad of one of the women involved with Prince Andrew (in her 30 at the time).

Not one of Australia's finest PMs

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:40:29

Mind you, f I'd known Liz was going, I'd have cashed a lift.
I am fully vaccinated ?

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:40:39

Cadged

Baggs Thu 27-Jan-22 14:41:54

eazybee

And I assume she didn't travel in splendid isolation; there would be a team with her, and other government officials.

Good point.

varian Thu 27-Jan-22 14:43:37

If we were serious about the commitments we made at the Cop conference we would prioritise trade with our nearest neighbours, not with countries on the far side of the world.

Alegrias1 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:57:01

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the treasonous touching of the Queen by Republican Keating... hmm

Kalu Thu 27-Jan-22 15:36:03

Reading this latest piece of obscene, privileged behaviour has me dropping another F bomb! One of many I have dropped during the pandemic regarding the behaviour of the PM and his cohorts. Shameless disregard as they spend tax payers money to finance their luxury lifestyle for what?….to ‘strengthen’ relationships between Australia and the UK. I am sure those, unfortunately, sleeping on the streets/have a need to visit food banks will appreciate the effort Truss is making on our behalf! ?

I would desperately love to see my DD in Australia but I continue to follow the guidelines, after all, we are in this together. Aye right.

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 16:13:08

Half.A.Million.

It is beyond contemplation that anyone should feel it's ok to spend tax payer money that way.

varian Thu 27-Jan-22 16:15:07

Liz Truss asked for public money to cover £3,000 lunch.

Reports say Truss demanded booking at ‘obviously incredibly expensive’ club owned by Tory donor

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/02/liz-truss-hosted-3k-lunch-for-us-envoy-over-civil-service-objections

MissAdventure Thu 27-Jan-22 16:17:51

Bloody benefit scroungers.

westendgirl Thu 27-Jan-22 16:18:21

Delusions of grandeur ?

trisher Thu 27-Jan-22 16:25:34

It's yet another example of the "us" and "them" division. Boris and his mates living the high life!

We could play a game. If all the cabinet were on the government jet who would you push out first? And why?
I'm for Boris. So many reasons! So let's go for cutting the £20 from Universal credit whilst buying a private jet.
Bye Boris!

Scribbles Thu 27-Jan-22 16:26:38

Why couldn't Truss have Zoom meetings like the rest of us have had to get used to?

Parsley3 Thu 27-Jan-22 16:27:18

Out of interest, I Googled the cost of a first class return flight to Australia and it is about £8,000. How many people did Truss take with her to make up the £500,00? Perhaps they were sleeping on board the plane so accommodation can be included. Add in the cost of security and it is beginning to look like a bargain. I will be disappointed if she hasn’t come back with a world beating outcome from her meetings.

Baggs Thu 27-Jan-22 16:36:01

Scribbles

Why couldn't Truss have Zoom meetings like the rest of us have had to get used to?

Because zoom meetings are not as good as face to face, perhaps.

Baggs Thu 27-Jan-22 16:38:01

trisher

It's yet another example of the "us" and "them" division. Boris and his mates living the high life!

We could play a game. If all the cabinet were on the government jet who would you push out first? And why?
I'm for Boris. So many reasons! So let's go for cutting the £20 from Universal credit whilst buying a private jet.
Bye Boris!

This is one of the us and thems I don't mind. I don't think it's reasonable to expect government officials (i.e. not just Liz truss but all the others who had to go too) to travel on government business as if they were just going on holiday or to visit family.

GagaJo Thu 27-Jan-22 16:44:35

My votes on Rees-Mogg trisher. That BL ke enrages me just for the arrogant, entitled, greedy look on his weasely face.