Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory illegal campaign donation

(55 Posts)
Esspee Mon 16-May-22 10:26:45

Barclays Bank alerted the National Crime Agency to huge transactions to the Tory Party.
They traced a “clear line” to a pro Kremlin politician and flagged suspected money laundering and an illegal campaign donation.
nytimes.com/2022/05/12

Why did it take an American newspaper to unearth this latest disgraceful episode of corruption and why is it not headline news in this country?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-May-22 10:45:40

This will not be the only one.

This sort of corruption is being suppressed by the media.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 12:49:42

There was a thread about this last week. I know that Barclays made a report to the NCA but possibly the money was found to be clean or they are still investigating.

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-May-22 13:00:44

Yes GSM, but the problem is that nobody is surprised anymore, people are getting so used to reading about blatant corruption, or being distracted by whether or not Starmer had a curry. It is like the Michelle Mone raid by NCA, nobody is interested. The electorate are rolling over and allowing this kind of criminal behaviour to be normalised. I could write a whole list, as could you I imagine, but sadly, some know and care, some know and don't care. Our PM is not only a liar, but potentially a criminal and a traitor who has taken funds from an enemy state, but seems to be untouchable.

varian Mon 16-May-22 13:01:24

Millionaire art dealer Ehud Sheleg has bankrolled the Conservative Party to the tune of more than £3.5 million since 2017 - and his cash helped Mr Johnson secure his landslide victory in the 2019 election.

He was given a knighthood and made party treasurer six months before the election.

But according to the New York Times, a donation of £450,000 in February 2018 has been flagged to the National Crime Agency (NCA) by Barclays bank, who say the cash originated in the Russian account of his father-in-law Sergei Kopytov.

Mr Kopytov, now a property mogul, was a senior politician in the previous, pro-Kremlin government of Ukraine.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/major-boris-johnson-donor-suspected-26946479

Whitewavemark2 Mon 16-May-22 13:02:02

It is still being investigated

Oldbat1 Mon 16-May-22 13:07:38

Well I’m not at all surprised. I’m sure this is just the tip of the donation iceberg.

GeorgieH Mon 16-May-22 13:08:26

Damehood for Sue Evans ?

Esspee Mon 16-May-22 13:44:59

I must say I despair when I see people contributing to threads about whether or not you iron tea towels but few are interested in issues like this.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 13:50:32

Perhaps some people just want a bit of light hearted relief and companionship. The political threads aren’t for everyone. Doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t care. And most Conservative voters probably stay well away because they are not welcomed.

volver Mon 16-May-22 13:52:06

Oh, poor old Conservatives.

Or maybe even they can't defend the actions of this government any more.

Esspee Mon 16-May-22 14:01:33

I believe this government has plumbed the depths of moral corruption and I find it frightening that the public seems to have decided to accept it.

I used to feel that the U.K. government maintained a high standard of ethics as opposed to corrupt governments elsewhere but now hardly a day passes without some sort of objectionable behaviour being exposed.

Is this what the U.K. has descended into?

AGAA4 Mon 16-May-22 14:12:46

Esspee

I must say I despair when I see people contributing to threads about whether or not you iron tea towels but few are interested in issues like this.

I do take part in the light-hearted threads because if I spent my day thinking about BJ and the corruption I would get depressed.
This doesn't mean that every day I don't wonder why he is still our PM. What does he have to do to be removed?
I'm starting to think he could get away with anything ?

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 15:10:15

Germanshepherdsmum

Perhaps some people just want a bit of light hearted relief and companionship. The political threads aren’t for everyone. Doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t care. And most Conservative voters probably stay well away because they are not welcomed.

Perhaps some people just want a bit of light hearted relief and companionship

Probably they do.

How does discussing or getting angry on here about these things change anything? It can't.
It's like yelling at the television.
Perhaps it helps some posters let off steam but it might add to others' stress levels.

We don't know what other posters have going on in their lives either. Perhaps they just want a diversion from RL.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-May-22 15:13:22

I have control over my tea towel drawer and my ironing until the next GE I have no control/say whatsoever in the current Government.

Grandmabatty Mon 16-May-22 15:15:52

Espee I take your point about posting on lighthearted threads and not on serious issues which affect us all. I have posted occasionally on political threads and have had really unpleasant comments directed to me by some nasty individuals. I find it quite upsetting.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 15:16:07

?

Kim19 Mon 16-May-22 16:30:18

Tea towel trivia tends to stay semi pleasant and seldom outright nasty and point scoring.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 16-May-22 16:45:41

Sadly, I am not surprised ?.

Jaberwok Mon 16-May-22 16:55:47

I'm afraid that happens all too often Grandmabatty, that's why unfortunately some people don't post on these threads anymore,

varian Mon 16-May-22 17:00:34

I have been on GN for a very long time and have always posted on the N&P threads.

By far and away the nastiest time was in the run up and the aftermath of the fraudulent referendum of 2016.

There was an unbelievable amount of vitriol especially from one side of the argument.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-May-22 17:00:49

Callistemon, Grandmabatty, GrannyGravy and Kim, I wholeheartedly agree. The discussions cannot achieve anything in terms of change, but they certainly have the ability to upset people and drive them away. Trivialising light hearted threads that enable posters to engage without fear of ridicule or unpleasantness, and criticising posters for using them, doesn't help anyone. It's tantamount to suggesting they're just a bunch of airheads. They are people deserving of respect for their choices.

Grandmabatty Mon 16-May-22 18:27:58

To make it clear, I was not criticising the OP. I think it's important that threads like this are started and a reasonable debate can only add to people making up their mind. I feel some posters go out of their way to be nasty and callous and that's why I rarely post. If you are stronger then good fortune to you ?

varian Mon 16-May-22 19:18:19

As so much of the media is in thrall to the Tory Party it is vital that the truth of matters they want to suppress is posted as widely as possible.

Floriel Mon 16-May-22 19:27:33

AGAA4

Esspee

I do take part in the light-hearted threads because if I spent my day thinking about BJ and the corruption I would get depressed.
This doesn't mean that every day I don't wonder why he is still our PM. What does he have to do to be removed?
I'm starting to think he could get away with anything ?

I sometimes think Boris could parachute into the Kremlin, wrestle Putin to the ground, sit on him till he expired and all the Boris-bashers would say is, ‘well, he’d do anything to get out of the lockdown party scandal.’