Gransnet forums

News & politics

Don’t politicians have any ideas?

(18 Posts)
Tizliz Fri 20-May-22 12:40:22

On Radio Scotland this morning they were talking about the rail problems. The conservative transport spoke person “they need to get round the table and talk” - no clue about what they should talk about. The labour spoke person “they are essential workers and should be paid more” just repeated this when it was pointed out that even a newly qualified driver earns £48k before overtime.

Not one idea about how to solve the problem - why do people become politicians ?

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 12:43:44

Because it's well paid, with a subsidised canteen, they can sleep on the job, and whole host of other "perks"

rosie1959 Fri 20-May-22 15:46:59

MissAdventure

Because it's well paid, with a subsidised canteen, they can sleep on the job, and whole host of other "perks"

Lol I had to read your answer twice I thought you were referring to the train drivers
I have no idea either why people become politicians many could earn far more in the private sector.

Baggs Fri 20-May-22 15:54:06

MissAdventure

No job security though.

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 15:59:28

Poor souls.

ayse Fri 20-May-22 16:04:45

rosie1959

MissAdventure

Lol I had to read your answer twice I thought you were referring to the train drivers
I have no idea either why people become politicians many could earn far more in the private sector.

But it does give them leverage and inside information, improve their networks and find more lucrative employment or investments. Makes them even more suitable to be employed by QUANGOs, executive directorships etc. I suspect they use the H of P as a second job as well.

Baggs Fri 20-May-22 16:06:17

MissAdventure

Poor souls.

I suspect that if you were an MP in a wavering constituenc, you might look at that a little differently. Not all MPs are privately rich enough to do without a steady income.

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 16:10:23

I can assure you I wouldn't.
Lose their job?
Let them go down to the job centre and find another.
It's what people do.

volver Fri 20-May-22 16:21:53

Our former MP got voted out in 2019. Last time he had had the smallest majority in WM. Now he's a Professor at a nearby University and I heard him on TV the other night, talking sense as usual. Our new MP is rarely seen on TV and is even less visible around the constituency.

The sensible ones will be snapped up for new jobs. The rest, not so much.

Baggs Fri 20-May-22 16:22:50

MissAdventure

I can assure you I wouldn't.
Lose their job?
Let them go down to the job centre and find another.
It's what people do.

What a Toryish attitude! ?

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 16:29:29

I know!
Im going to be even more toryish now, and suggest that they'll lose their ability to budget, too!

Glorianny Fri 20-May-22 16:32:05

Well perhaps the answer should have been is an MP worth twice as much as a train driver? Personally I think £48k for someone taking responsiblity for the lives of so many passengers isn't enough whereas £82k for an MP is too much (sorry I know that isn't the question)

MissAdventure Fri 20-May-22 16:47:03

I think the mp wages are reasonable, but we need to ensure they are earned.

ayse Fri 20-May-22 18:56:09

But to be fair many of them want to make a difference to us ordinary folk. It’s just a shame that they’re not the ones with power to do just that!

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 19:09:25

MissAdventure

Sadly MissA I think you’re right. I wish you weren’t but I’m sure you are.

SueDonim Fri 20-May-22 19:12:26

I’ve known your former MP since he was knee high to a grasshopper, Volver. Oh the stories I could tell! wink. He’s a lovely guy, so sweet.

volver Fri 20-May-22 19:29:56

We've all got a past SueDonim wink

I sat next to him on a wall watching the local children's parade one year. He took time to talk to everyone. Even Willie Rennie grin His children are lovely too.

SueDonim Sun 22-May-22 10:49:53

Yes, they are. I bumped into him at a Christmas fair last year. He’s essentially still the same lad he was all those years ago. I have a very soft spot for him. ❤️