Gransnet forums

News & politics

How long before the right-wing turn against Ukrainian refugees?

(57 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 13:02:06

I was thinking about this today. At the moment, even the right-wing media (and government) are paying lip service to supporting / hosting Ukrainian refugees but it won't be long until they start to see them as scroungers and start the hostile rhetoric.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-May-22 13:06:49

Why start a nasty minded thread?

nanna8 Sat 21-May-22 13:10:48

Very unpleasant and most insulting to the left wing people. They are bigger than that I hope and the ones I know would never be so horribly judgemental.

Spinnaker Sat 21-May-22 13:13:24

Bloody hell !! What a way to start a thread - it's awful.

Zoejory Sat 21-May-22 13:15:49

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this is an awful thread.

Robin49 Sat 21-May-22 13:16:27

It’s absolutely appalling and unnecessary.

FannyCornforth Sat 21-May-22 13:17:42

The site isn’t very pleasant at the moment

rafichagran Sat 21-May-22 13:18:43

Dreadful thread, you are just stirring up problems to suit yourself, shocking.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 21-May-22 13:19:44

FannyCornforth

I agree Fanny I am beginning to wonder why I am on GN

Joane123 Sat 21-May-22 13:20:55

Good grief, what a thing to say. These poor people have only just arrived and people have been happy to offer them sanctuary.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 13:53:23

I have seen aggressive "anti" comments on some newspaper and media threads, but, generally speaking, most are supportive at the moment.?

Riverwalk Sat 21-May-22 14:01:46

I can see where Gaga is coming from.

Over the years and leading up to Brexit east Europeans were the scourge of the right-wing press and UKIP. I remember Farage saying he'd rather live next door to Indians than Romanians.

Now, in the form of Ukrainians, they're the bees knees and everyone is opening the door to them - something not offered to war-torn Syrians and Afghans.

Give the Daily Mail time.

Riverwalk Sat 21-May-22 14:03:03

FannyCornforth

Rather a sweeping statement Fanny.

Opal Sat 21-May-22 14:05:07

Wow! Talk about show your true colours! I wonder if your usual "left-wing" "sisters-in-arms" will be supportive of this thread? I'll wait and see with interest.

volver Sat 21-May-22 14:19:23

Here's your starter for 10.

Coming over here, participating in civic life. Shocking.

(Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" playing in my head now. And that song with Vera Ellen and Rosemary Clooney smile)

merlotgran Sat 21-May-22 14:19:44

It must be so depressing to always look for the negatives in any situation.

Glass half empty with knobs on.

FannyCornforth Sat 21-May-22 14:22:06

Riverwalk I thought that it was expedient to vaguely generalise.
It probably would have been even more expedient for me to just ignore this thread.

It’s in the papers that a man who has left his wife and ‘ran off’ together with their refugee.
All in ten days of her arrival!

(This is not a political comment in any shape or form, btw.
Just a bit of tabloid tittle tattle.
I hope that this is allowed smile)

GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 14:25:39

My colours are mostly pro immigration. Pro supporting refugees. Always have been. Vietnamese boat people. Asians from Uganda. Ukrainian refugees.

But given that immigration was frequently given as a reason for Brexit, which did after all occur very recently, I do wonder how long before arms will openly welcome Ukrainians fleeing the war.

GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 14:26:42

merlotgran

It must be so depressing to always look for the negatives in any situation.

Glass half empty with knobs on.

Nope. I welcome them. But then, my opinions are reflected in who I vote for.

Witzend Sat 21-May-22 14:27:21

I have a feeling that some people would actually like this to happen, since they evidently enjoy saying how awful/depressing they think the U.K. is, and this would just help to prove their point.

JaneJudge Sat 21-May-22 14:28:44

that is really sick that that man would prey on someone so vulnerable ffs

Petera Sat 21-May-22 14:28:54

Riverwalk

I can see where Gaga is coming from.

Over the years and leading up to Brexit east Europeans were the scourge of the right-wing press and UKIP. I remember Farage saying he'd rather live next door to Indians than Romanians.

Now, in the form of Ukrainians, they're the bees knees and everyone is opening the door to them - something not offered to war-torn Syrians and Afghans.

Give the Daily Mail time.

There is a couplet that has stuck in my mind for years. I saw Leon Rosselson, the songwriter, in concert during the times of Solidarnosc. After singing a lot of left-wing songs he said that he would now give the Daily Mail the right of reply.

The song was a long list of all the thing the DM didn't like, essentially "Down with this/ down with that/down with the other thing". The chorus ended with:

"Down with people on the dole, and
Down with strikes. Except in Pol-and"

Lark123 Sat 21-May-22 14:29:45

No appetite for 'going down the rabbit hole' with this thread.

GagaJo Sat 21-May-22 14:30:26

Witzend

I have a feeling that some people would actually like this to happen, since they evidently enjoy saying how awful/depressing they think the U.K. is, and this would just help to prove their point.

Nope. Wrong.

I'd love our country to be more supportive of the vulnerable in society. I'd cheer it on.

I don't vote for politicians who hate those that need help.

MerylStreep Sat 21-May-22 14:49:56

Get your posts in now, folks. When HQ see this it will be gone.