Gransnet forums

News & politics

That Sue Gray Report/Johnson meeting

(142 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 21-May-22 13:09:13

Seems that these two have met to discuss the report. No one saying what was in the agenda. So the report is impartial?

MayBee70 Sat 21-May-22 14:28:56

I’ve been out all morning but DH tells me that Johnson said Sue Gray asked to speak to him and she says it was the other way round. Hmm…now, who should I believe?

Casdon Sat 21-May-22 14:35:18

news.sky.com/politics
She’s the only one with integrity and honesty, morality and decency.

Mamie Sat 21-May-22 14:38:05

I will put my faith in Sue Gray. The tone of the summary report was excoriating if you read between the lines.

Riverwalk Sat 21-May-22 14:42:54

Now, who do we believe?

AGAA4 Sat 21-May-22 15:08:25

I believe it was about photos.
Boris must have been worried about this.

DiamondLily Sat 21-May-22 15:56:45

Well, a lot have been released anyway, but Dominic Cummings keeps saying he has a shedload ready for release after the Grey report is published. ?

Aspen Sat 21-May-22 16:27:58

Somebody must have been at some of the parties who shouldn't have been there, perhaps snapped doing some they shouldn't have been doing!

NotSpaghetti Sat 21-May-22 16:52:12

AGAA4 I don't think anyone has confirmed it was about photos but I think that was postulated - so was "shall we name names" ... might be wrong though.

Still think meeting up secretly was not a good idea.

Dinahmo Sat 21-May-22 18:40:34

Here's a link to Jonathan Freedland in the Guardian which makes interesting reading.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/20/boris-johnson-lying-pm-britain-tories

Daisymae Sun 22-May-22 07:35:30

Seems that the civil service are going to get the blame for the party culture with a senior member resigning, according to the press. Expect that we will see this week. One thing seems certain that Johnson will not be held responsible.

Urmstongran Sun 22-May-22 07:46:20

The report stated that a gathering held resembled ‘an Ibiza party’. Boris wants to see the photographs that generated this statement.

Urmstongran Sun 22-May-22 07:50:47

And if the civil servants organised and attended the parties why shouldn’t they ‘get the blame’? Who else? Boris may have been elsewhere at the time. I don’t know. Sue Grey does. As Boris hasn’t had a second fine I think he’s been exonerated. There are too many conspiracy theories circulating and disappointed haters missing their ‘gotcha’ moment I think.

Urmstongran Sun 22-May-22 08:10:48

No I was wrong. The report itself didn’t state that parties were like Ibiza on a Saturday night. Boris thinks unless the report shows the photographs of the gatherings that that will be the perception held by some of the public.

“Boris Johnson wants Sue Gray to publish photographs of illicit gatherings in Downing Street in order to dispel the idea that No10 was “like Ibiza on a Saturday night” during Covid lockdowns, The Telegraph understands.

In the public imagination, for some at least, this was like Ibiza on a Saturday night in July. The publication of any photos would probably be a big help in introducing reality into the mix.”

I think anything that brings clarity and full disclosure can only be a good thing. Yet now the BBC are reporting that Labour say because Boris had a meeting with Sue Gray a few weeks ago it undermines the report!

Will it never end?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-May-22 08:13:46

Full disclosure is definitely what’s needed Urmstongran

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-May-22 08:14:45

If anyone believes anything Johnson says after the past few years they haven’t been paying attention.

Johnson will sacrifice anyone or anything for his own advantage and furthering his own ends.

Most unpleasant personality trait.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-May-22 08:15:49

There is no “full disclosure” we know that already. Johnson has the authority over that decision.

Urmstongran Sun 22-May-22 08:28:28

I certainly have been paying attention WWmk2.
You do like to sound so superior on matters political.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-May-22 08:52:40

Dinahmo thanks for the link. Interesting.

DiamondLily Sun 22-May-22 09:09:58

Well, at least we know when Johnson is lying, as his lips move.?

MayBee70 Sun 22-May-22 09:54:36

It will end when we get to know the truth.

OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 11:18:41

Aha! Zahawi on Sky with Sophy Ridge ...

Acknowledging that Johnson is Gray’s ultimate boss ...

He was also Mark Sedwill's boss and Helen Macnamara's boss and is Simon Case's boss.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-May-22 11:24:39

OakDryad

Aha! Zahawi on Sky with Sophy Ridge ...

Acknowledging that Johnson is Gray’s ultimate boss ...

He was also Mark Sedwill's boss and Helen Macnamara's boss and is Simon Case's boss.

Yes. Which is why we will be getting a redacted report. Full disclosure simply won’t happen

OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 11:31:43

I doubt it too WWM2. Just making the point that Johnson is the line manager of all the party people who have either already left (Sedwill and Macnamara) and Case who, odds on, is about to be fired (or sent to the Other Place). He set the culture.

CvD66 Sun 22-May-22 12:39:07

Urmstongran
PM: there were no parties - only 18
Pm: no rules were broken - only 126 fines including PM and Chancellor
PM: it’s everyone else’s fault- press secretary and junior staff sacked.
Let consider who made the rules that he and his staff broke?.
Across the UK people were given significant fines for single breaches yet PM condoned a mass of events in his premises!
Many people complied with the rules and were prevented from being with dying loved ones ….and yet PM lies to the HoC about even the basics.
Why is this not deliberately misleading the House and therefore breach of ministerial code and a resigning issues?
He has prevaricated, blocked and waffled so his allies can say: Get over it!! Look at how wonderful he really is?!?!?
Nothing this man has ever done precludes him from this appalling lying and double standards!