Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson: The Max Hastings Prophecy

(5 Posts)
OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 09:15:43

Published in June 2019, a month before Johnson took office:

Extracts from the linked article:

Tory MPs have launched this country upon an experiment in celebrity government, matching that taking place in Ukraine and the US, and it is unlikely to be derailed by the latest headlines. The Washington Post columnist George Will observes that Donald Trump does what his political base wants “by breaking all the china”. We can’t predict what a Johnson government will do, because its prospective leader has not got around to thinking about this. But his premiership will almost certainly reveal a contempt for rules, precedent, order and stability.

Dignity still matters in public office, and Johnson will never have it. Yet his graver vice is cowardice, reflected in a willingness to tell any audience, whatever he thinks most likely to please, heedless of the inevitability of its contradiction an hour later.

Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character. I recently suggested to a radio audience that he supposes himself to be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge.

Johnson would not recognise truth, whether about his private or political life, if confronted by it in an identity parade. In a commonplace book the other day, I came across an observation made in 1750 by a contemporary savant, Bishop Berkeley: “It is impossible that a man who is false to his friends and neighbours should be true to the public.” Almost the only people who think Johnson a nice guy are those who do not know him.

the Johnson premiership could survive for three or four years, shambling from one embarrassment and debacle to another, of which Brexit may prove the least.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

And here we are, three years later.

OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 09:17:39

... and a graphic to go with.

DiamondLily Sun 22-May-22 09:37:35

Didn't Max Hastings used to work with him at the Telegraph?.

Before Johnson got sacked for telling lies.?

It's funny, as Tory voters used to seen as the so called "respectable voters". Church going, usually middle class, and responsible citizens who knew there was a right way to behave, especially in public office..

So, I honestly don't understand how they can support a self confessed adulterer, who only cares about himself, and constantly lies about everything.?

Strange.

luluaugust Sun 22-May-22 09:48:35

I wonder what Boris would write about Max? What can we do about it at present.?

OakDryad Sun 22-May-22 10:01:11

Hastings was Johnson's boss at the Telegraph and knows him well. James Kirkup who worked with Johnson on the Telegraph and Spectator has written in a similar vein.

Almost the only people who think Johnson a nice guy are those who do not know him.

I don't know that it is strange DiamondLily. I wrote in another thread that I think (at least some) loyalty is borne out of cognitive dissonance, a psychological condition which is hard to overcome.

The electorate is powerless lulaugust - only free to chose at a general election.