Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson set to announce a multi million cost of living package

(77 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 08:41:08

Before the end of week.

Which begs the question, whether he would have done so if Sue Grey hadn’t reported this week.

Johnson’s cynicism would win prizes.

Shinamae Wed 25-May-22 08:43:24

Hmmm…….l wonder….?

Grandmabatty Wed 25-May-22 08:56:09

If he said it was raining, I would look out the window to check for myself. He has no intention of resigning clearly and thinks announcing giving the people money will distract from his heinous behaviour. I'm assuming this raft of help will be similar to the garden bridge in London and the bridge from Scotland to Northern Ireland. Shakespeare said it first 'sound and fury signifying nothing.'

growstuff Wed 25-May-22 08:59:44

1It had better be more than multi-million. Even if it's £660,000, that's only a tenner each.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 09:01:26

? probably be multi-billion.

Similar to what he gave away to his bestie - Dido

MaizieD Wed 25-May-22 09:02:46

Are people really so shallow that they can be bribed into forgetting his appalling conduct?

Greta Wed 25-May-22 09:14:21

The PM got Brexit done so he will be forgiven by many. The question is how many.

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 09:18:16

So would he be better to not do anything to help out so we can all sit back and complain even more?

Audi10 Wed 25-May-22 09:21:14

Agree MaizieD

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 09:21:17

Aveline

So would he be better to not do anything to help out so we can all sit back and complain even more?

It should have been done at the budget.

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 09:25:57

So? It's being done now. The government is being responsive to these price rises going on every day.
I'm not a Boris fan but think this obsessing on events of two years ago is daft. Why wasn't it raised then? Whose agenda is it to suddenly produce evidence now? Politics is a mucky business. Where's Cummings by the way? Revenge being a dish best served cold?

Grandmabatty Wed 25-May-22 09:48:57

I would suggest that people cannot let go the lying of the prime minister to parliament when this issue was brought up, especially if they were following the laws which he had put in place. There have been many times when Johnson could have accepted responsibility for the non party parties, but chose not to. He lied to parliament and any decent prime minister would have been long gone.

MaizieD Wed 25-May-22 09:49:30

Aveline

The cost of living crisis has been in existence for quite some time now. Government, which we (foolishly in this instance) expect to look after the wellbeing of the citizens who elect it, should have acted because it was right to mitigate the effects and protect citizens from hunger and cold. NOT because it wants to bribe them into forgiving and forgetting that they broke all the covid regulations that they told citizens they must follow and partied while.... (You all know the rest of that sentence don't you?)

You, Aveline, may be prepared to accept the shoddy, second class service that the government gives us, but a good many of us aren't.

Grandmabatty Wed 25-May-22 09:51:25

And it's another volte face. We were being told by Sunak and a plethora of ministers that nothing could be done to help only last week, but suddenly help is on the way. Can you blame folk for feeling suspicious of motives?

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 10:15:10

Aveline

So? It's being done now. The government is being responsive to these price rises going on every day.
I'm not a Boris fan but think this obsessing on events of two years ago is daft. Why wasn't it raised then? Whose agenda is it to suddenly produce evidence now? Politics is a mucky business. Where's Cummings by the way? Revenge being a dish best served cold?

Where's Cummings by the way? Revenge being a dish best served cold?

Who took the photos?

DiamondLily Wed 25-May-22 10:17:53

Callistemon21

Aveline

Where's Cummings by the way? Revenge being a dish best served cold?

Who took the photos?

Cummings is still waiting there, ready to pounce:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-cummings-partygate-photos-gray-b2085326.html

There are apparently many more photos to come out.?

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 10:21:30

I'm amazed that most of you seem to think that this is the only government that ever broke promises, lied or cheated!
Of course things are bad right now. Can anyone remember a time when everyone was completely satisfied with the government and that everything was fine throughout the country? I certainly cannot.

DiamondLily Wed 25-May-22 10:23:32

Aveline

I'm amazed that most of you seem to think that this is the only government that ever broke promises, lied or cheated!
Of course things are bad right now. Can anyone remember a time when everyone was completely satisfied with the government and that everything was fine throughout the country? I certainly cannot.

No, but I've voting since 1973, and I cannot remember one quite so sleazy and corrupt.

Lying to the House has always been a sacking or removal offence.

Johnson lied.?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 10:24:57

Aveline

No you are right. But you see there are degrees of incompetence, complete lack of integrity, lying and corruption.

This government comes out top on all counts. We have never, never had such bad governance.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 10:26:48

DiamondLily
Thanks!

Was DC too busy snapping away to have a drink or nibbles?
Even so, whoever he or she was, the photographer was there too.

Daisymae Wed 25-May-22 10:28:08

Windfall tax too. Whoda thought it!

MaizieD Wed 25-May-22 10:54:17

They had the official photographer at some of the parties, I understand ?

Hoist by a generation or two's compulsive need to photograph every minute detail of their lives? (their own petard...)

Aveline Wed 25-May-22 10:57:30

Whitewavemark2 we've had some pretty incompetent governments before now. I understand that you're not a Boris fan (!) but there are good people doing their best. It's just that we tend only to read about who journalists emphasise and make much of.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 25-May-22 10:59:46

Aveline

Whitewavemark2 we've had some pretty incompetent governments before now. I understand that you're not a Boris fan (!) but there are good people doing their best. It's just that we tend only to read about who journalists emphasise and make much of.

That is interesting.

So as I’m influenced by journalists, which government has been worse than this current one? I would be pleased to know.

Parsley3 Wed 25-May-22 11:03:09

I would think that any PM was important enough to be emphasised and made much of by journalists.